Smartcat Glidepoint in linux

Post by Erik Coutur » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

has anyone any experience using a Smartcat Glidepoint in linux?
are there drivers available?
thanx
GUysmiley

1. help with Alps glidepoint and/or Alps glidepoint+keyboard?

I finally got sick enough of my cheesy $8.00 keyboard and $9.00 mouse
that I picked up an Alps glidepoint keyboard.  It's fairly nice, but a
number of the features don't seem to work with Linux out of the box.
(The manual says they're controlled by running configuration software
under MS-DOS or MS Windows.)

Does anyone have any suggestions?  (Other than "don't support closed-minded,
incompatible vendors, return the thing for a refund!" -- I've thought of
that already. :-)

Also, I have a bus mouse port on my ATI graphics card.  (Ultra Plus?
I forget, and the manual is packed away.)  Is there any way to connect
a PS2 compatible mouse (e.g. the glidepoint mouse before I stick
their adapter on the end of the cable) to that port and have it
work?  (Or am I just confused in my vague recollection that PS/2 mice
are bus mice?)

In case you're thinking of getting an Alps keyboard or glidepoint for
Linux, it is nice for pointing.  It would be nice for clicking if I
could get the tapping feature to work with Linux; without it it's
probably OK, but will take some getting used to.  (It feels awkward to
point by motions involving no pressure at all -- just electrostatic
effects? -- and then have to click hard on the rather stiff mechanical
buttons.  It might also be nice for dragging and selecting if I could
get the tapping feature to work, but without it it's kinda clunky for
that.

This stuff works works with Linux:

  -- all three `mouse' buttons, hurrah!

This stuff doesn't work with Linux, as far as I can tell:

  -- tapping the glide pad to emulate a button press;
  -- sending useful keyboard events when the new Windows 95 keys are pressed;
  -- remapping the big wide delete key back to send space characters.

Any help would be appreciated.  Please send replies or copies of
replies by e-mail, and I will post a summary if there's any interest.

  Bill Newman

2. Windows 2000: virus haven

3. Cirque SmartCat

4. realserver default admin port

5. Sherlock linux plug-ins / sherlock for linux?

6. Solaris 2.5 nfs server selectively refuses clients

7. glidepoint for Solaris x86 and linux

8. Lexmark 1000C help needed!

9. Glidepoint "mouse", Linux, and X?

10. Alps GlidePoint: OK w/Linux?

11. Alps GlidePoint 'Taps' driver for Linux ?

12. Linux does not see Glidepoint mouse in notebook

13. Alps Glidepoint pointing device with Linux/XFree86