Newbie: Pls advise installing Dual boot Dual HD Mandrake 7

Newbie: Pls advise installing Dual boot Dual HD Mandrake 7

Post by Michael Ba » Mon, 01 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
I'm new to Linux, just got Mandrake 7 distro. Haven't installed yet as
I'm waiting for a new IDE 17G HD (should arrive tomorrow) which I'll
connect as Secondary Master (4G Primary Master IDE HD has Win98,
Primary Slave is my CDROM drive).
My PC is a 64 MB AMD K-6 II 350.
I plan a dual Sys/ dual HD with LILO and plan using the first 6G of my
new HD for Linux and the rest of it for Win98.

Please advise regarding:
1.      Should I format/partition my new HD before installing Linux
(using what fdisk?) or can I just proceed with my "*" HD?
2.      Should I install Linux (recommended Mandrake Mode) first and
partition/format the rest (of the HD) under Win98 later (as Windows
does not recognize Linux partitions will it not "run-over" my Linux
partition)? Or shall I partition Win BEFORE installing Windows?
3.      Assuming I'll use Mandrake's (graphical) DrakX, does it
recognize TWO HDs and will it enable me (under Recommended mode) to
pick which HD/partition to use for Linux and its swap?

TIA

Post by Tilman Kran » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,
> Please advise regarding:
> 1. Should I format/partition my new HD before installing Linux
> (using what fdisk?) or can I just proceed with my "*" HD?

You can and should during installation.

Quote:> 2. Should I install Linux (recommended Mandrake Mode) first and
> partition/format the rest (of the HD) under Win98 later (as Windows
> does not recognize Linux partitions will it not "run-over" my Linux
> partition)? Or shall I partition Win BEFORE installing Windows?

If you have no partition to install on, you cannot install
Linux. Therefore, partition your new sec.master.HD during
Mandrake install. Create windows partitions as suitable
but do not format them (I don't think that mandrake install
can create vfat filesystems at all). You should do this step
later on using Win95 FDISK.EXE and FORMAT.COM, both included
in a standard Windows installation.

Make sure, dos fdisk does not rewrite your MBR. You will not be able
to restore it and cannot boot into linux anymore unless using
secondary boot media like a boot floppy or a bootable cdrom.

Quote:> 3. Assuming I'll use Mandrake's (graphical) DrakX, does it
> recognize TWO HDs and will it enable me (under Recommended mode) to
> pick which HD/partition to use for Linux and its swap?

I prefer the console fdisk tool for partitioning. :)

Greetings,
Tilman.

1. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb

I put one harddisk in my computer and installed Mandrake7.2.  I then
popped this disk out, popped a new disk in, and installed Windoze 98
on it. I then made this disk the slave (hdb) and put back in my
Mandrake disk as hda, and then booted into Linux (using grub).
Mandrake recognizes my /dev/hdb when I mount it automatically as
/mnt/win98. So, the problem I'm about to describe doesn't seem to be a
problem with the harddisk, slave setting, etc.

I then used DrakConf to change my grub configuration so that it
associated win98 with /dev/hdb1. I then tried rebooting, booting linux
through grub still works fine, but when I choose win98 through grub, I
got the following error:

Booting 'win98'
root(hd1,0)
Error: selected disk does not exist.

I assume that this error is related to the fact that when win98 was
installed on hdb, it was actually hda at the time.  Now it's confused
b/c it's hdb. ??  (said another way: I think the problem is confusion
over the fact that windows was originally installed when that disk was
hda, but now it's hdb.)

I recently read (somewhere on usenet) the following suggestion:

the "map" command under GRUB would trick this second drive (hd1) to
think
that it owned the first partiition, thereby allowing it to dual boot.

#################################
# /boot/grub/menu.lst - generated by Lizard

*** Linux lines cut out to save space

# for booting Windows 98

title  = win98
root  = (hd1,0)
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1
###################################

So, I tried this, but not knowing anything about grub, I
think I used the grub command to install it incorrectly,
because when I tried to reboot, grub failed to work properly
at all, and I had to boot with my boot floppy.

So, how can I solve this? Is the grub map approach the
right direction? If so, how do I do it correctly (e.g.,
what do I need to type on the command line after editing
the menu.lst file?)

If not, is there another way. I had a similar problem a couple
of years ago, and someone suggested that I use a program
(which I don't remember the name of) that allowed me to
go in and (I believe) edit the master boot record on my
windows hard drive to tell it that it was now the hdb
drive. I did that successfully that time. Should I try
that again, and if so, what's the program called that
allows me to edit it?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Symbolic algebra/intergation

3. Newbie: Pls advise install Mandrake 7 on K6-2/350 +UMAX SCSI scanner

4. no connection

5. lilo config for dual hd-boot hd->ramdisk-boot?

6. RiSc World

7. Dual boot for dual Hard drive (newbie)

8. Any http proxy to accelerate http GET method?

9. Newbie novice installed Grub on Redhat 7.3 with separate /boot partition, dual boot Windows XP

10. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

11. Dual boot networked to dual boot

12. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

13. Problem Installing second Fat32 HD in dual boot system