*HELP* Cirrus Logic 5465 AGP // RedHat 5.2... *HELP*

*HELP* Cirrus Logic 5465 AGP // RedHat 5.2... *HELP*

Post by (pcmil.. » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

x-windows not working.  upon install, there is an option for the 5464,
but no 5465...  should i just choose it instead?

also, my problem may be the monitor?  it is an Aamazing CM8486-TX
(14").  in Windoze it will run any CM* driver and has good resolution
at:
640x480/60Hz
800x600/56Hz
1024x768/60Hz

when i have gotten x-windows to load, it always has an oversized
desktop, or crashes as soon as i open anything graphic-intensive.

any ideas, thanks in advance...
pcmiller

*HELP* Cirrus Logic 5465 AGP // RedHat 5.2... *HELP*

Post by John Adkin » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>x-windows not working.  upon install, there is an option for the 5464,
>but no 5465...  should i just choose it instead?

 .
 .
 .

>when i have gotten x-windows to load, it always has an oversized
>desktop, or crashes as soon as i open anything graphic-intensive.

>any ideas, thanks in advance...
>pcmiller

I recently installed RedHat 5.2 on a Compaq DeskPro that has a CL5446 video
adapter, and the auto probe program incorrectly determined that it had 4MB
of RAM when the card actually on had 2MB of RAM.  When I reran the
Xconfigurator, I did not use the defaults and was allowed to select the
actual amount of RAM on the video card, and now everything works fine.

- John Adkins

*HELP* Cirrus Logic 5465 AGP // RedHat 5.2... *HELP*

Post by Marti » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:>x-windows not working.  upon install, there is an option for the 5464,
>but no 5465...  should i just choose it instead?

Yes, try that one, it will work, but may not use the latest features of the
graphics chip.

Quote:

>also, my problem may be the monitor?  it is an Aamazing CM8486-TX
>(14").  in Windoze it will run any CM* driver and has good resolution
>at:
>640x480/60Hz
>800x600/56Hz
>1024x768/60Hz

Sorry, don't know anything about this monitor.  Usually, I have found the
settings in the XF86config file to work fiarly well.  Look in
/etc/X11/XF86config, as you got through the file, you will find some lines
with comments before them describing the modes which are being configured.
Try uncommenting just the lines for the resolutions your monitor supports.

Quote:

>when i have gotten x-windows to load, it always has an oversized
>desktop, or crashes as soon as i open anything graphic-intensive.

Assuming your file is setup as normal, the settings you have sound like the
effect of the virtual desktop which allows you to have a desktop of an
higher resolution than the screen resolution.  If this is the case, also in
the XF86config file, you will find a line near the end which describes the
modes available something like this :-

    Modes     "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"

This line describea the modes to be used by the server.  The mode to the
left is the mode which will be used when the server first starts up, so I
suggest you make that the resolution you use the most.  The other modes can
be accessed by pressing the CTRL ALT and + keys at the same time.  Below
this will be a line which says something like :-

    Virtual    1600 1200

The numbers may vary, but they represent the size of the virtual screen.
Make these the same as the highest resolution you use.

NB. if the virtual settings are lower than the screen resolution, that
resolution will be disabled.  eg. if you used the line :-

    Virtual 800x600

and had the settings configured as in the example above, the 1024x768 mode
would be disabled.

A man page is available which gives further information on the settings used
by the X server, at the command prompt, type :-

    man XF86config

        Hope this helps
                Martin

>any ideas, thanks in advance...
>pcmiller

1. How to configure Cirrus Logic 5465 AGP card?

I would recommend putting another card in your box:-/  I have the same
machine, and that card just doesn't work real well.  If you do a
search on dejanews, you can at least get it to not crash, though.

--
David Welton                         http://www.efn.org/~davidw

                 --Debian GNU/Linux--

2. How you will benefit......

3. trouble with my graphic card cirrus logic 5465 AGP

4. Adaptec APA-1460B SlimSCSI problem

5. (Cirrus Logic 5465 AGP)Problems with accelerated features under XFree86

6. Stability of Linux

7. Cirrus Logic 5465 AGP

8. Computer hangs when switching console or starting X

9. Need help w/xdm & Debian & Cirrus Logic 5465 (Laguna) on HP VectraVL

10. Cirrus Logic GD 5465 Video card

11. Cirrus Logic Laguna 3D 5465 rev2 and Xfree86_SVGA

12. Cirrus Logic 5465 support?