Tyan S1832DL Motherboard and Linux

Post by Leonard N. Zubkof » Sun, 21 Jun 1998 04:00:00

  I am considering building a system based on the Tyan S1832DL motherboard
  which is based on the new BX chioset and supports dual processors.

  Has anyone used this mb with Linux? How well does the mb perform? Any
  problems, comments, suggestions.

I suggest you avoid the S1832DL!

I was all set to build a Linux system based on the S1832DL for myself, but
luckily I read a message on the linux-smp mailing list the very morning I
was going to purchase one.  According to that message by Don Holmgren of
Fermilab, the S1832DL performs very poorly on the STREAM benchmark,
achieving approximately *half* the memory bandwidth of other single and
dual BX motherboards (around 135MB/sec versus 270MB/sec).  This poor
performance has been confirmed by two additional individuals, both using
high quality memory that was also shown to perform properly in other
motherboards.

Enclosed below is the reply I sent to linux-smp after some investigation.
I also sent this information to Tyan Technical Support on June 14th, but as
of this writing (June 20th), I have received no response from Tyan.

                Leonard

I was all set to purchase one of these for my own use when I saw your message.
Larry Augustin of VA Research confirmed your numbers, and also ran a program I
wrote to dump the 440BX chipset registers on the Tyan S1832DL, Intel SE440BX,
and Intel N440BX motherboards.  It looks to me like the setting of Bit 2 in the
NBXCFG register is the most likely reason for the memory bandwidth performance
degradation of the S1832DL relative to the SE440BX and N440BX.  Quoting from
pages 42-43 of the 440BX chipset specification:

    NBXCFG (NBX Configuration Register) [registers 53..50]

    Bit 2:

    In-Order Queue Depth (IOQD) (RO). This bit reflects the value sampled on
    A7# on the deassertion of the CPURST#. It indicates the depth of the
    Pentium? Pro processor bus in-order queue (i.e., level of Pentium Pro
    processor bus pipelining).

    1 = In-order queue = maximum. If A7# is sampled "1" (i.e,. undriven on the
    Pentium Pro processor bus), the depth of the Pentium Pro processor bus
    in-order queue is configured to the maximum allowed by the Pentium Pro
    processor protocol (i.e., 8). However, the actual maximum supported by the
    82443BX is 4, and it is controlled by the 82443BX's Pentium Pro processor
    interface logic using the BNR# signaling mechanism.

    0 = A7# is sampled asserted (i.e., "0"). The depth of the Pentium Pro
    processor bus in-order queue is set to 1 (i.e., no pipelining support on
    the Pentium Pro processor bus).

    NOTE: During reset, A7# can be driven either by the 82443BX or by an
    external source as defined by the strapping option on the MAB11# pin.

The values from registers 53..50 on these three motherboards are:

    S1832DL:    00000408 (Bit 2 OFF)
    SE440BX:    CF000004 (Bit 2 ON)
    N440BX:     3F00018C (Bit 2 ON)

This indicates that Pentium Pro processor bus pipelining is disabled on the
S1832DL, but set to maximum on the SE440BX and N440BX.  Unfortunately, this bit
is not writable so confirming this hypothesis is not a simple matter of writing
the correct value to PCI Configuration Space.

Post by Brian Keith Smit » Mon, 22 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I am considering building a system based on the Tyan S1832DL motherboard
which is based on the new BX chioset and supports dual processors.

Has anyone used this mb with Linux? How well does the mb perform? Any
problems, comments, suggestions.

Below is my proposed system:

Tyan S1832DL
Pentium II 350
128MB RAM
Seagate S389140 EIDE Drive
Matrox Millenium II PCI 8MB
Toshiba 32X cdrom
Viewsonic P810 Monitor
Supermicro SC750A case

Please reply via e-mail

--
Brian Keith Smith

Post by Fred A. Mille » Mon, 22 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I am considering building a system based on the Tyan S1832DL motherboard
> which is based on the new BX chioset and supports dual processors.

> Has anyone used this mb with Linux? How well does the mb perform? Any
> problems, comments, suggestions.

> Below is my proposed system:

> Tyan S1832DL
> Pentium II 350
> 128MB RAM
> Seagate S389140 EIDE Drive
> Matrox Millenium II PCI 8MB
> Toshiba 32X cdrom
> Viewsonic P810 Monitor
> Supermicro SC750A case

Get the S1846DL.  It's the latest from Tyan and a REAL screamer!  The
S1832 is flawed.  I have the S1846S here...the single processor
version....VERY, VERY quick.

Fred

--
Fred A. Miller, Systems Administrator
Cornell Univ. Press Services

1. Abit BP6 vs. Tyan S1832DL ?

Anyone have any comparisons between these two board with respect to
stability and/or ease of cooling when running Linux?

From what I understand, a BP6 running dual celerys is relatively stable
if you aren't beating it to death, but I have heard nothing about the
Tyan in this area.

Has anyone gotten the onboard sound (ES1373) and/or the onboard network
interface to work?

--Eric

2. iomega parallel zip drive trouble

3. ASUS P2B-D or TYAN S1832DL Tiger 100?

4. tough: Frame Relay and Linux

5. Tyan S1832DL Tiger 100 and ICP-Vortex

6. Automatic password genration

7. SMP Linux on Tyan motherboard?

8. Samba or NFS/NIS?

9. Any Opinions on Linux and (Tyan) Tempest II Dual-pentium Motherboard?

10. Tyan III motherboard and Linux?

11. Linux and Tyan Tomcat motherboard???

12. TYAN S1836DLUAN Motherboard (was ??LINUX?? Dual CPU question)

13. tyan tiger i7505 motherboard for linux