Q: Minimum hardware reqs to run linux & consumer apps like email, www, suite ?

Q: Minimum hardware reqs to run linux & consumer apps like email, www, suite ?

Post by See Signature4Rep » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:40:11

Would like to install linux and GNOME related software such as
Ximian's Desktop which includes Sun StarOffice on older pc's for a
nonprofit I am helping.

Wha is minimum system requirements of older PC's (expect 486 vintage
to be available, as well as older Pentium vintage) that I need to use
for such task

Tx

Fred

Please reply direct cc in addition to any posting to this group
------------------------------------
please reply to the following address:

neteur (at) mail (dot) com

Post by ken_yap_0x45f50dc0_.. » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:51:47

|Would like to install linux and GNOME related software such as
|Ximian's Desktop which includes Sun StarOffice on older pc's for a
|nonprofit I am helping.
|
|Wha is minimum system requirements of older PC's (expect 486 vintage
|to be available, as well as older Pentium vintage) that I need to use
|for such task

I don't like your chances at all with 486s. Even with low Pentiums, the
software you mention crawl.

However if you are installing a cluster of machines and you are willing
to install a beefy server, you can turn the old machines into X
terminals. See www.ltsp.org

Post by A. Lucien Meyer » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:30:39

> Would like to install linux and GNOME related software such as
> Ximian's Desktop which includes Sun StarOffice on older pc's for a
> nonprofit I am helping.
> Wha is minimum system requirements of older PC's (expect 486 vintage
> to be available, as well as older Pentium vintage) that I need to use
> for such task
> Tx
> Fred

The apps you list require X and are memory- and storage space-
intensive. You will probably need at least 32 MB of physical RAM
and about 1 GB hard disk capacity. If you could do without X,
Gnome, StarOffice and other such bloats you could reduce this by
half. Some apps which give great funtionality without X:

text browser            w3m (does frames)
editor                  vim
mailer                  pine
news reader             tin

Cheers!

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
http://www.consult-meyers.com recommends e-mail encryption using pgp.

Post by Vladimir Florinsk » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 04:53:59

> Would like to install linux and GNOME related software such as Ximian's
> Desktop which includes Sun StarOffice on older pc's for a nonprofit I am
> helping.

> Wha is minimum system requirements of older PC's (expect 486 vintage to
> be available, as well as older Pentium vintage) that I need to use for
> such task

To use Ximian Gnome and Star Office you should plan on something like a
P2-300 with at least 128MB or RAM. It will be slow, but useable. It might
be possible to relax this requirement a bit if you strip Gnome down
(replace naughtilus with gmc, don't run the panel, use old netscrape
instead of mozilla). You can safely reject the 486 machines, and I have
serious doubts about the Pentiums as well.

--

Vladimir

Post by John Thompso » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 07:13:38

> Would like to install linux and GNOME related software such as
> Ximian's Desktop which includes Sun StarOffice on older pc's for a
> nonprofit I am helping.
> Wha is minimum system requirements of older PC's (expect 486 vintage
> to be available, as well as older Pentium vintage) that I need to use
> for such task

I've run StarOffice on a 5x86/133 with 32MB and it's quite slow.
And that wasn't even with gnome.  For a 486-class machine, you
may want to scale down your expectations.  A 100Mhz 486 with 32MB
RAM would run fine as a text console (emacs ought to cover most
of your needs).  You could run X if you're patient enough and use
a lightweight window manager (I suggest XFCE) instead of gnome.
I'd pass on StarOffice unless you have at least a 200Mhz machine
and 64MB RAM.  More RAM will give a better performance boost than
a faster CPU, but many older 486 motherboards can only handle
32MB.

--

1. Minimum hardware configuration needed to run Linux?

I would like to install Linux and to facilitate this, I will be buying another
computer.  I would like to know what I should use as a minimum - ie
processor speed, RAM, and hard drive space..  In other words, can I pick up
a cheap 486DX that someone is selling for a couple hundred bucks or do I
need to go higher end than that?  If you could email any responses, I would
greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Kevin

5249 17th Ave. NE, Room 4 # http://weber.u.washington.edu/~kmmyer
Seattle, WA  98105        # 206-729-0730

2. C++ version of yacc

3. ANNOUNCE - Beta available - DirectChoice - WWW & Email with no junk email

4. 3d video card with open-source accelerated drivers?

5. ZFS: Why storage pool reqs disks minimum size of 128 MB?

6. Panasonic DRM600 and Linux

7. What is the minimum hardware requirement for installing and running solaris 10?

8. Telnet, ftp connect delay

9. Are there any minimum hardware necessary requirements to run KDE

10. Run&Email&Secret_Command&Boot_Linux

11. WWW server hardware & Linux

12. Developing apps under Linux: Beginner Qs

13. Linux router performance versus dedicated consumer hardware?