Sun Quad Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter

Post by noon » Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:13:02

I have one of those PCI cards mentioned in the subject line,
which basically have 4 ethernet ports in a single adapeter, unused on the shelf.

There does not seem to be even any windows driver for it,
but has anyone tried to make it work with linux ?

Post by Derrik Pate » Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:59:16

> I have one of those PCI cards mentioned in the subject line,
> which basically have 4 ethernet ports in a single adapeter, unused on the shelf.

> There does not seem to be even any windows driver for it,
> but has anyone tried to make it work with linux ?

A cursory search (you should really use Google, it's your friend) shows
that the Sun QFE card just requires the 'sunhme' ("Happy
Meal"/hundred-megabit Ethernet) driver. It's just multiple Ethernet
controller chips, and ports and support logic, on one board.

--
Derrik Pates

Post by Rick Moe » Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:40:23

>> I have one of those PCI cards mentioned in the subject line,
>> which basically have 4 ethernet ports in a single adapeter, unused on the shelf.

>> There does not seem to be even any windows driver for it,
>> but has anyone tried to make it work with linux ?

> A cursory search (you should really use Google, it's your friend) shows
> that the Sun QFE card just requires the 'sunhme' ("Happy
> Meal"/hundred-megabit Ethernet) driver. It's just multiple Ethernet
> controller chips, and ports and support logic, on one board.

Quoting ye olde Linux kernel configurator:

CONFIG_HAPPYMEAL:

  This driver supports the "hme" interface present on most Ultra
  systems and as an option on older Sbus systems. This driver supports
  both PCI and Sbus devices. This driver also supports the "qfe" quad
  100baseT device available in both PCI and Sbus configurations.

  To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the module
  will be called sunhme.

--
Cheers,     Founding member of the Hyphenation Society, a grassroots-based,
Rick Moen   not-for-profit, locally-owned-and-operated, cooperatively-managed,

Post by noon » Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:01:50

>>I have one of those PCI cards mentioned in the subject line,
>>which basically have 4 ethernet ports in a single adapeter, unused on the shelf.

>>There does not seem to be even any windows driver for it,
>>but has anyone tried to make it work with linux ?

> A cursory search (you should really use Google, it's your friend) shows

I did. Honest.

What I searched for was:

        "Sun Quad Fast Ethernet PCI" linux

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22Sun+Quad...

... and the only thing that turns up on Google are ebay auctions, and descriptions about the card.

Quote:> that the Sun QFE card just requires the 'sunhme' ("Happy
> Meal"/hundred-megabit Ethernet) driver. It's just multiple Ethernet
> controller chips, and ports and support logic, on one board.

Thanks for the info. I'll be a happy camper when I get it to work!

Post by Jeff Lar » Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:32:56

> >>I have one of those PCI cards mentioned in the subject line,
> >>which basically have 4 ethernet ports in a single adapeter, unused on
the shelf.

> >>There does not seem to be even any windows driver for it,
> >>but has anyone tried to make it work with linux ?

> > A cursory search (you should really use Google, it's your friend) shows

> I did. Honest.

> What I searched for was:

> "Sun Quad Fast Ethernet PCI" linux

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22Sun+Quad...
Quote:

> ... and the only thing that turns up on Google are ebay auctions, and

descriptions about the card.

If you remove the quotes from around the "Sun Quad Fast Ethernet PCI" and
just search for Sun Quad Fast Ethernet PCI linux you'll end up with almost
100 hits with quite a few relevant to setting up the card under linux.

Jeff Lary.

Sun Quad Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter

Post by noon » Fri, 26 Mar 2004 15:14:15

The OS actually sees 4 NICs on the one card.

I was worried at first because the PCI card has more "pins" / gold connectors on it than the PCI slot has.
Thus, some of the "pins" of the PCI card that are near the end are not connected at all.

Still works though.

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Sat, 27 Mar 2004 03:25:20

> The OS actually sees 4 NICs on the one card.

> I was worried at first because the PCI card has more "pins" / gold
> connectors on it than the PCI slot has.
> Thus, some of the "pins" of the PCI card that are near the end are not
> connected at all.

It's probably a 64-bit PCI card.  Most (if not all) will gracefully
fall-back to 32-bit mode in a 32-bit slot.