Arrgh! Crazy screenblanker!

Post by Markus Wand » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Board is an ABIT BH6 with an XPert98 video card and ATI_Mach64 X kernel.
I'm running RedHat 5.2 with KDE 1.1.1 on top.  As far as I can tell there
are four different screen blankers:

  1. In the BIOS
  2. In the kernel
  3. In X
  4. In KDE

I've done everything humanly possible, fiddling the BIOS settings, "setterm"
before starting X, parameters to the X kernel, and the KDE display settings to
turn all this *off, and guess what the same thing still happens:

After about 1/2 hour the screen blanks and the monitor's power-save light comes
on and sometime after that, it goes nuts.  Every minute or two the relays in
the monitor click, it powers up and depowers again.  This is the computer's
doing, because if I touch the mouse it unblanks.

Who knows, maybe the monitor's power save circuitry has problems.  But at least
I should be able to disable the screen blanking.  Right?  What on earth am
I missing?  Surely lots of people are running this exact same configuration.

Markus

Arrgh! Crazy screenblanker!

Post by M.C. van den Bovenkam » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I've done everything humanly possible, fiddling the BIOS settings, "setterm"
> before starting X, parameters to the X kernel, and the KDE display settings to
> turn all this *off, and guess what the same thing still happens:

Assuming you have indeed switched off the screenblankers in your BIOS,
Linux kernel and KDE, only the X blanker is left. That can be disabled
with 'xset' I believe it's 'xset s off', but take a look at the manpage
first.

                Regards,

--
                        Marco van den Bovenkamp.