System locks up when scanning with 2.4.x kernel

System locks up when scanning with 2.4.x kernel

Post by Chuc » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 11:52:14

My system locks up when I try to scan with my Scanjet 4c connected to an
Adaptech scsi card using the aha152x driver. I am running RH 7.0 with the
2.4.5 kernel. I still have a monolithic 2.2.x kernel with the driver
compiled in that works just fine. The first time that I try and run xsane
or xscanimage, the device isn't found. The second time it is found and the
application starts. I get part way through a preview scan and the system
locks up. I have read at least one other posting that relates the same
problem, but no solutions have been suggested. Sure would be nice to be
able to scan with a 2.4.x series kernel running!
--
Chuck Hakari

Post by Chuc » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 12:23:19

> My system locks up when I try to scan with my Scanjet 4c connected to an
> Adaptech scsi card using the aha152x driver. I am running RH 7.0 with the
> 2.4.5 kernel. I still have a monolithic 2.2.x kernel with the driver
> compiled in that works just fine. The first time that I try and run xsane
> or xscanimage, the device isn't found. The second time it is found and the
> application starts. I get part way through a preview scan and the system
> locks up. I have read at least one other posting that relates the same
> problem, but no solutions have been suggested. Sure would be nice to be
> able to scan with a 2.4.x series kernel running!

Solved the problem myself after doing some research at the Linux SCSI
Generic Driver site. In the SANE 1.0.4 source, change line 1892 of
sanei/sanei_scsi.c to read: req->sgdata.sg3.hdr.timeout = 1000 * 10 * 60;
Then build and install per the readme.

The timeout default was 10000 which apparently not enough time and caused a
reset.

Hope this helps someone.
--
Chuck Hakari

1. System locks up when mixing gcc 2.95 and 3.x with a 2.4.x kernel

Hi!

I'm experiencing a strange problem with a kernel module I wrote
(AtariSIO, see http://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/ ).

One system, my laptop running kernel 2.2.19, is doing fine. The
kernel was compiled with gcc 2.95.4 (from debian woody).

If I compile my module with gcc 2.95.4 (debian woody), 3.0 (also
debian woody) or 3.2.2 (vanilla sources from gcc.gnu.org),
everything runs smoothly.

But I'm having troubles on my other machine running kernel
2.4.18 (compiled with the same gcc 2.95.4 as the 2.2 kernel):

Using gcc 2.95.4 works fine, but if I use any of the mentioned
gcc-3.x versions, my system completely locks up (not even the
SysReq key works any more), as soon as the interrupt routine
is activated.

Here's some more information about my kernel module:
atarisio accesses the 16550 chip directly and processes some
parts of the Atari 8bit SIO protocol in kernel mode. It's a
quite simple driver and reacts to character receive/send
and modem status line change interrupts of the 16550.
Both of my machines are running debian, potato on my old
laptop, and woody on my other machine.

Now here's my question:

Does someone have an idea what might be causing these crashes,
and what might be a solution to avoid them?

I googled for a while and read that at least the vmware modules
had to be compiled with the same gcc version as it was used to
compile the kernel. Some other postings mentioned that gcc 3.x
isn't recommended at all for compiling the kernel, while again
some other postings reported success.

At the moment I think there are (at least) the following possibilites:

1) it's a bug in gcc 3.x that only shows up with 2.4 kernels
2) there's still a bug hiding in my own module code

Any ideas?

so long & thanks in advance for any comments,

Hias

2. Keeping a Solaris 2.5 loadable module inside

3. Solaris 2.4 x86 locks system

4. Im a Micro$oft Monkey learning BSD

5. tuning lock limits in 2.4 Kernel?

6. Gnome doesn't work correctly

7. XFree86 4.0.2 locks up 2.4.x kernels

8. makedepend warning

9. system lock-ups

10. Lock ups with SCO and Caps lock

11. i686 SMP systems with more then 12 GB ram with 2.4.x kernel ?

12. 2.4 kernel 2.4 ppp cannot connect

13. does 2.4 kernel need 2.4 initrd?