System Won't Turn Off

Post by PD » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

hi all

i'm having a real turning off my computer.  i just finished installing
Debian, then i decided to shutdown the system (shutdown -h now) so i could
open the box.  the shutdown went fine it unmount all of my directories fine
and killed all the processes running but the machine was still running.
now here's the crazy part.  when i pushed the power button the system
rebooted instead of turning off.  when i used to run windows98 the computer
turned off automatically when i do a shutdown.  is there a similar
capability with Linux?  i still have no idea why my power button doesn't
work. has anybody seen this this kind of thing before.  below is the
motherboard that i'm using.

MotherBoard: FIC PA-2013rev2.0  ATX

TIA
pd

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

System Won't Turn Off

Post by Greg Leblan » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I would recomend recompiling the Linux kernel for your computer and
enabling APM support and power-off at shutdown.  Don't worry about this
being too complex, there are a number of good guides that give you a
little info about compiling a new kernel.  Once you've built a new
kernel, your computer should be able to turn itself off when you type
shutdown -h now (although why you would ever want to do that is beyond
me :)
   Greg

Quote:> hi all

--
It's pronounced "*" not "scuzzy"!

System Won't Turn Off

Post by :) » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> hi all

> i'm having a real turning off my computer.  i just finished installing

> Debian, then i decided to shutdown the system (shutdown -h now) so i could

I don't know about Debian.  But have you try "shutdown now -h" instead of
"shutdown -h now"? ;-)

It should tells you something like "system is halted" when it's done, then you
can turn off the power and it won't reboot.

Alex Lam.

Quote:

> open the box.  the shutdown went fine it unmount all of my directories fine

> and killed all the processes running but the machine was still running.

> now here's the crazy part.  when i pushed the power button the system

> rebooted instead of turning off.  when i used to run windows98 the computer

> turned off automatically when i do a shutdown.  is there a similar

> capability with Linux?  i still have no idea why my power button doesn't

> work. has anybody seen this this kind of thing before.  below is the

> motherboard that i'm using.

> MotherBoard: FIC PA-2013rev2.0  ATX

> TIA

> pd

>                   http://www.searchlinux.com

System Won't Turn Off

Post by Michel Buijsm » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>I would recomend recompiling the Linux kernel for your computer and
>enabling APM support and power-off at shutdown.  Don't worry about this
>being too complex, there are a number of good guides that give you a
>little info about compiling a new kernel.  Once you've built a new
>kernel, your computer should be able to turn itself off when you type
>shutdown -h now (although why you would ever want to do that is beyond
>me :)

While that will probably solve the problem for the original poster,
it doesn't work for me. I also have a problem with poweroff on shutdown.

Problem as in: The system crashes when I shut it down.

But since this happens after the filesystem is umounted, and I never shut
my box down anyway, it's not really a big deal. Hey, the only time I
power down my machine anyway is during a power failure. (surprise, that)

Which leads me to another question: Is it possible to torture my system
into automatically booting up when the power comes back on instead of
just sitting there switched off? Some boards have a jumper or bios
setting for it, but mine hasn't, as far as I know...

My mainboard is an Epox MVP3G-M ATX, with the VIA chipset.

--
 Michel Buijsman      "The world is coming to an end.   Please log off."
 10:42am  up 14 days, 10:59,  6 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

System Won't Turn Off

Post by Dr. Sólyom Andrá » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> now here's the crazy part.  when i pushed the power button the system

> rebooted instead of turning off.  when i used to run windows98 the computer

> turned off automatically when i do a shutdown.  is there a similar

> capability with Linux?  i still have no idea why my power button doesn't

> work. has anybody seen this this kind of thing before.  below is the

> motherboard that i'm using.

keep the power button pressed for about 4 seconds, It will then turn the power
off. The new ATX power supplies usually can be switched off totally with a
separate switch (usually on the power supply.) If that switch is in the ON
position then the power supply is in a standby state ready to start again. So
as not to make possible to inadvertently turning off the computer a short
single press either does nothing (when the system is up ) or turns the system
on.
Question #7: How Can I Make Linux More Like Windows?

'Hmmm. Rebuild the kernel to use every memory-hogging feature you can find.
Reboot every
couple of days whether you need to or not. And every 18 months or so, send a
check for $99
to Bill Gates. That should do the trick.' (CNET - 10 questions about Linux
[4.28.1999])