Aureal drivers for Linux?

Post by Daniel Lensk » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:32:18

Hi, I have an Aureal Vortex sound card (8830 chipset) and I've had no luck
installing the version 1.1 drivers available at
http://aureal.sourceforge.net ... the drivers compile and install fine
under 2.2.15 kernel, but I can NEVER hear any sound, not by playing a CD,
not by playing an mp3, nothing.  I just installed a new 2.2.17 kernel,
hoping that might fix it, but now it won't even compile.  Does anybody
have any suggestions or tips?

--

"If we couldn't laugh at things that didn't make sense,
we couldn't react to a lot of the world around us."

Aureal drivers for Linux?

Post by emc.. » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:00:38

> Hi, I have an Aureal Vortex sound card (8830 chipset) and I've had no luck
> installing the version 1.1 drivers available at
> http://aureal.sourceforge.net ... the drivers compile and install fine
> under 2.2.15 kernel, but I can NEVER hear any sound, not by playing a CD,
> not by playing an mp3, nothing.  I just installed a new 2.2.17 kernel,
> hoping that might fix it, but now it won't even compile.  Does anybody
> have any suggestions or tips?

Mess around with the mixer settings.  I got extremely bad sound on my
Vortex 2 using the OSS demo drivers, but only one of the mixer
controls worked: the wave volume (and it worked as on/off).

Right around that time was when I realized that if I had any sound
support in Linux at all, it was going to be poorer quality than I
could get from the built-in speaker, and got rid of Linux.  So there
may be a resolution I don't know of.

--

Aureal drivers for Linux?

Post by Jim Broughto » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:20:36

> Hi, I have an Aureal Vortex sound card (8830 chipset) and I've had no luck
> installing the version 1.1 drivers available at
> http://aureal.sourceforge.net ... the drivers compile and install fine
> under 2.2.15 kernel, but I can NEVER hear any sound, not by playing a CD,
> not by playing an mp3, nothing.  I just installed a new 2.2.17 kernel,
> hoping that might fix it, but now it won't even compile.  Does anybody
> have any suggestions or tips?

> --

> "If we couldn't laugh at things that didn't make sense,
> we couldn't react to a lot of the world around us."
>    --Calvin and Hobbes

 This was a problem for me also. Here is the solution to the no
sound with the aureal drivers. IF you are using a modular kernel
out of the box then this will work for you if not then your going
to need a kernel recompile and to include some extra modules.
  If using a modular kernel with all modules do this 1) ....

Place these in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

modprobe soundcore
modprobe au8830
modprobe sound
modprobe softoss2

 IF modprobe complains append a .o to each module name and check
/lib/modules/yourKERNELversion/misc to see if they exist.

Note: they must be in this exact order. You must remove any reference in
/etc/conf.modules (/etc/modules.conf other distros than RH) of the loading
of the au8830 driver.

If you are not running kernel with the above modules recompile the kernel
and modules install them and do the above.

--
Jim Broughton
(The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)

Aureal drivers for Linux?

Post by Daniel Lensk » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for your suggestions ... I tried them all but I still seem to have
the same problem ... the drivers install fine, modules load fine, but I
cannot hear anything ... very strange ... i'm wondering if maybe it's a
problem with my PCI bus or something?  I've done 'cat /proc/pci' and I
get:

  Bus  0, device   8, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 254).
      Vendor id=12eb. Device id=2.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=12.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xec000000 [0xec000000].
      I/O at 0xc800 [0xc801].
      I/O at 0xcc00 [0xcc01].

Can anybody who has a an Aureal Vortex 2 tell me if this looks ok?  Is
there a way to tell the au8830.o module specifically what are the I/O
addresses or IRQ of the sound card?

Thanks!

>> Hi, I have an Aureal Vortex sound card (8830 chipset) and I've had no
>> luck installing the version 1.1 drivers available at
>> http://aureal.sourceforge.net ... the drivers compile and install fine
>> under 2.2.15 kernel, but I can NEVER hear any sound, not by playing a
>> CD, not by playing an mp3, nothing.  I just installed a new 2.2.17
>> kernel, hoping that might fix it, but now it won't even compile.  Does
>> anybody have any suggestions or tips?

>> --

>> "If we couldn't laugh at things that didn't make sense,
>> we couldn't react to a lot of the world around us."
>>    --Calvin and Hobbes

>  This was a problem for me also. Here is the solution to the no
> sound with the aureal drivers. IF you are using a modular kernel out of
> the box then this will work for you if not then your going to need a
> kernel recompile and to include some extra modules.
>   If using a modular kernel with all modules do this 1) ....

> Place these in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

> modprobe soundcore modprobe au8830 modprobe sound modprobe softoss2

>  IF modprobe complains append a .o to each module name and check
> /lib/modules/yourKERNELversion/misc to see if they exist.

> Note: they must be in this exact order. You must remove any reference in
> /etc/conf.modules (/etc/modules.conf other distros than RH) of the
> of the au8830 driver.

> If you are not running kernel with the above modules recompile the
> kernel and modules install them and do the above.

--
Daniel Lenski

"If we couldn't laugh at things that didn't make sense,
we couldn't react to a lot of the world around us."
   --Calvin and Hobbes

Aureal drivers for Linux?

Post by J Wend » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:27:49

Here's my /proc/pci (2.4.0-test9)

  Bus  0, device   9, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Aureal Semiconductor Vortex 2 (rev
254).
      IRQ 5.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=12.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xea000000 [0xea03ffff].
      I/O at 0xe800 [0xe807].
      I/O at 0xec00 [0xec07].

Hope this helps.

John

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:55:23 +0400, "Daniel Lenski"

>Thanks for your suggestions ... I tried them all but I still seem to have
>the same problem ... the drivers install fine, modules load fine, but I
>cannot hear anything ... very strange ... i'm wondering if maybe it's a
>problem with my PCI bus or something?  I've done 'cat /proc/pci' and I
>get:

>  Bus  0, device   8, function  0:
>    Multimedia audio controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 254).
>      Vendor id=12eb. Device id=2.
>      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=12.
>      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xec000000 [0xec000000].
>      I/O at 0xc800 [0xc801].
>      I/O at 0xcc00 [0xcc01].

>Can anybody who has a an Aureal Vortex 2 tell me if this looks ok?  Is
>there a way to tell the au8830.o module specifically what are the I/O
>addresses or IRQ of the sound card?

>Thanks!

>>> Hi, I have an Aureal Vortex sound card (8830 chipset) and I've had no
>>> luck installing the version 1.1 drivers available at
>>> http://aureal.sourceforge.net ... the drivers compile and install fine
>>> under 2.2.15 kernel, but I can NEVER hear any sound, not by playing a
>>> CD, not by playing an mp3, nothing.  I just installed a new 2.2.17
>>> kernel, hoping that might fix it, but now it won't even compile.  Does
>>> anybody have any suggestions or tips?

>>> --

>>> "If we couldn't laugh at things that didn't make sense,
>>> we couldn't react to a lot of the world around us."
>>>    --Calvin and Hobbes

>>  This was a problem for me also. Here is the solution to the no
>> sound with the aureal drivers. IF you are using a modular kernel out of
>> the box then this will work for you if not then your going to need a
>> kernel recompile and to include some extra modules.
>>   If using a modular kernel with all modules do this 1) ....

>> Place these in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

>> modprobe soundcore modprobe au8830 modprobe sound modprobe softoss2

>>  IF modprobe complains append a .o to each module name and check
>> /lib/modules/yourKERNELversion/misc to see if they exist.

>> Note: they must be in this exact order. You must remove any reference in
>> /etc/conf.modules (/etc/modules.conf other distros than RH) of the
>> of the au8830 driver.

>> If you are not running kernel with the above modules recompile the
>> kernel and modules install them and do the above.

>--
>Daniel Lenski

>"If we couldn't laugh at things that didn't make sense,
>we couldn't react to a lot of the world around us."
>   --Calvin and Hobbes

Aureal drivers for Linux?

Post by Jim Broughto » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 09:07:05

> Thanks for your suggestions ... I tried them all but I still seem to have
> the same problem ... the drivers install fine, modules load fine, but I
> cannot hear anything ... very strange ... i'm wondering if maybe it's a
> problem with my PCI bus or something?  I've done 'cat /proc/pci' and I
> get:

>   Bus  0, device   8, function  0:
>     Multimedia audio controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 254).
>       Vendor id=12eb. Device id=2.
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=12.
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xec000000 [0xec000000].
>       I/O at 0xc800 [0xc801].
>       I/O at 0xcc00 [0xcc01].

> Can anybody who has a an Aureal Vortex 2 tell me if this looks ok?  Is
> there a way to tell the au8830.o module specifically what are the I/O
> addresses or IRQ of the sound card?

> Thanks!

> >> Hi, I have an Aureal Vortex sound card (8830 chipset) and I've had no
> >> luck installing the version 1.1 drivers available at
> >> http://aureal.sourceforge.net ... the drivers compile and install fine
> >> under 2.2.15 kernel, but I can NEVER hear any sound, not by playing a
> >> CD, not by playing an mp3, nothing.  I just installed a new 2.2.17
> >> kernel, hoping that might fix it, but now it won't even compile.  Does
> >> anybody have any suggestions or tips?

> >> --

> >> "If we couldn't laugh at things that didn't make sense,
> >> we couldn't react to a lot of the world around us."
> >>    --Calvin and Hobbes

> >  This was a problem for me also. Here is the solution to the no
> > sound with the aureal drivers. IF you are using a modular kernel out of
> > the box then this will work for you if not then your going to need a
> > kernel recompile and to include some extra modules.
> >   If using a modular kernel with all modules do this 1) ....

> > Place these in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

> > modprobe soundcore modprobe au8830 modprobe sound modprobe softoss2

> >  IF modprobe complains append a .o to each module name and check
> > /lib/modules/yourKERNELversion/misc to see if they exist.

> > Note: they must be in this exact order. You must remove any reference in
> > /etc/conf.modules (/etc/modules.conf other distros than RH) of the
> > of the au8830 driver.

> > If you are not running kernel with the above modules recompile the
> > kernel and modules install them and do the above.

> --
> Daniel Lenski

> "If we couldn't laugh at things that didn't make sense,
> we couldn't react to a lot of the world around us."
>    --Calvin and Hobbes

Here is my /proc/pci for my vortex 2. The only thing I wonder is why
it has such a high IRQ number. In my experience both windows and
linux all put multimedia controllers lower if done PnP style. Mine
is forced there by me through my computers bios though.
 I am not sure whether the module excepts any arguments.

 Bus  0, device  13, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 250).
      Vendor id=12eb. Device id=2.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 3.  Master Capable.
Latency=32.  Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=12.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe6000000 [0xe6000000].
      I/O at 0xe800 [0xe801].
      I/O at 0xec00 [0xec01].
-------
Oct 26 17:24:15 jimspc kernel: au88xx: Loading...
Oct 26 17:24:15 jimspc kernel: au88xx: Scanning for device VENDOR=0x12eb, ID=0x2
Oct 26 17:24:15 jimspc kernel: au88xx: Found vortex PCI device:
Oct 26 17:24:15 jimspc kernel: au88xx: id=2
Oct 26 17:24:15 jimspc kernel: au88xx: bar0=0xe6000000
Oct 26 17:24:15 jimspc kernel: au88xx: irq=3
Oct 26 17:24:15 jimspc kernel: au88xx: Add device, audio=3, mixer=0, midi=2

This is what I get in my /var/log/syslog when booting. Your system may use
/var/log/messages. If you can get the module to load that is.

--
Jim Broughton
(The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)
If Sense were common everyone would have it!
Following Air and Water the third most abundant
thing on the planet is Human Stupidity.

Aureal drivers for Linux?

Post by Bob Fahe » Tue, 31 Oct 2000 04:28:50

1.  Read the FAQ for sound, there's no 'fast dumb' way to configure sound.
2.  Check your 'dmesg | more' output
3.  Do a 'cat /dev/sndstat' output
4  BIOS must have PNP turned off.
5.  I've had better luck building sound into the kernel, rather than
modules, but that's my personal preference.

Hope this helps.

> Hi, I have an Aureal Vortex sound card (8830 chipset) and I've had no luck
> installing the version 1.1 drivers available at
> http://aureal.sourceforge.net ... the drivers compile and install fine
> under 2.2.15 kernel, but I can NEVER hear any sound, not by playing a CD,
> not by playing an mp3, nothing.  I just installed a new 2.2.17 kernel,
> hoping that might fix it, but now it won't even compile.  Does anybody
> have any suggestions or tips?

> --

> "If we couldn't laugh at things that didn't make sense,
> we couldn't react to a lot of the world around us."
>    --Calvin and Hobbes

Aureal drivers for Linux?

Post by nos.. » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 01:39:31

> Thanks for your suggestions ... I tried them all but I still seem to have
> the same problem ... the drivers install fine, modules load fine, but I
> cannot hear anything ... very strange ... i'm wondering if maybe it's a
> problem with my PCI bus or something?  I've done 'cat /proc/pci' and I
> get:

>   Bus  0, device   8, function  0:
>     Multimedia audio controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 254).
>       Vendor id=12eb. Device id=2.
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=12.
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xec000000 [0xec000000].
>       I/O at 0xc800 [0xc801].
>       I/O at 0xcc00 [0xcc01].

> Can anybody who has a an Aureal Vortex 2 tell me if this looks ok?  Is
> there a way to tell the au8830.o module specifically what are the I/O
> addresses or IRQ of the sound card?

> Thanks!

  This looks ok. It says "UnKnown vendor UnKnown device" because it is
not matching a name to the Vendor id and Device id (unique to each
device, present on every PCI device as an identifier) with the built in
tables. This isn't bad. The IO addresses should be fine (if they
weren't, the PCI bridge would never have recognized them), and the
memory address is at a high enough location to exist happily in PCI
space. Since it is PCI, the IRQ is fine. Some possible issues could be
the kernel version. 2.2.14 or 2.2.15 (can't remember which) had
problems, so upgrading can't hurt. Also, make sure that you have full rw
permissions on /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/mixer, and /dev/sound (I don't
know which ones are used, so this might be an overly complete list, or
incomplete, anyone know?). Finally, you may want to make sure that the
sound pieces of your window manager exist.
  Basically, it is possible that there is a card problem but not likely.
It is highly improbable for this to be a sympton of a bus problem, as
that would cause kernel issues well prior to trying to use your sound
card. My best advice is try a newer kernel if you can and the sound
drivers that are included with it. That will most likely solve the
problem. Good Luck

--
remove nospam and replace with putzin to reply to me!
Pete Buelow

1. Aureal 8830 Driver... linux.aureal.com=BAD?

Hello, I am trying to get drivers for an aureal sq2500 card, using 8830
chipset, and the only place i Know of that has (had?) it was
linux.aureal.com, but I can't get there?  Does anyone know if this site is
still up? or perhaps an alternative location to d/l the driver?

Thanks,
Todd

2. ISP

3. Aureal vortex2 (8830) sound driver for Linux installation

4. Raven: Version -1b release

5. Aureal SQ 2500 - Is there Linux Drivers That Work

6. Read/Write Optical Disk?

7. Aureal (mx300) drivers for Linux

8. Linux Ph Server HOWTO?? Where?

9. Aureal vortex 2 (8830) driver for Linux

10. Work started on Linux drivers for Aureal Vortex sound card

11. Aureal Vortex1 (SQ1500) vs Aureal Vortex2(SQ2500)

12. vortex driver from linux.aureal.com

13. Aureal drivers aren't there after reboot