ATA/66 & ATA/100

Post by Shawn D. Kell » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 14:16:54

Which distributions support the Promise ATA/66 card and which support the
HPT370 as built into the ABit VP6, if any?

I've tried installing Mandrake 8.0 on both systems and can only get it to
work with the ATA/33 controller built into my Gateway's motherboard (thats
the one with the Promise ATA/66 card).

I guess I could pick up another hard drive, but would rather utilize the
space on the current drive that's hooked to the ATA/66.

Thanks.

ATA/66 & ATA/100

Post by Jason L » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 05:42:56

Promise Ultra66:
   1 ) Refer UDMA-MiniHOWTO for PCI IDE installation.
   2 ) Using new kernel 2.4.x which supports Promise ATA66 already.

Quote:> Which distributions support the Promise ATA/66 card and which support the
> HPT370 as built into the ABit VP6, if any?

> I've tried installing Mandrake 8.0 on both systems and can only get it to
> work with the ATA/33 controller built into my Gateway's motherboard (thats
> the one with the Promise ATA/66 card).

> I guess I could pick up another hard drive, but would rather utilize the
> space on the current drive that's hooked to the ATA/66.

> Thanks.

1. Query on ATA/66 and ATA/100

All,

I currently have an Asus K7M motherboard with IDE ATA/66 controller/drives.
I'm looking to add a new larger capacity drive (20G+) and install SUSE Linux
7.1.  Am I right in thinking that it is ok to add an ATA/100 drive to my
existing
ATA/66 and Linux will support this. I was intending to use the onboard
ATA/66
controller.
(The query stems from the fact I've seen several postings on other groups
mentioning problems with ATA/100 controllers and I wanted to make sure that
if my
controller is ATA/66 then Linux will happily support this - slackware works
fine).

Many thanks for any pointers.

Tim.

--

2. VPNs

3. using ATA/100 HD with ATA/66 controler

4. Summary (long) on specifying unix server purchase

5. ATA-100 on ATA-66 moboard -- hdparms...

6. SMP ACPI S3 support in 2.4 series?

7. Can I use my ATA/100 hard drive with my ATA/66 controller motherboard?

8. X 3.3.5 breaks Dell I7K supend

9. Using a ATA/66 disk with a ATA/66 cable on a Linux 2.2 system

10. SIIG Ultra ATA 66/ Intel i820 ATA 66 and linux!

11. ATA/66 accessed as ATA/33 ?

12. ATA-66 drive that only detects as ATA-33

13. 13.6G 7200RPM Ultra ATA hard drive with Ultra ATA 66 Controller