DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

Post by Kevi » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 03:41:17

I've googled until I'm blue (would that be bluegled?) and I can't
find a DVD burner that has all of what I want.  These seem to be
what people like for Linux:

Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (OBSOLETE)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/ricoh-mp5125a.htm

NEC ND1100A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (replaces above Ricoh)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/nec-nd-1100a.htm

HP DVD300i (DVD+RW/+R, CD-R/-RW)
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_...
(watch the line wrap)

Pioneer DVR-A05 CD-R/RW, CD-RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?...

All of the above units are EIDE.  Is there a SCSI DVD burner that
works with Linux?  My reason for wanting this is the wonderful
burning throughput I get with my SCSI CD burner.  I *NEVER* have
buffer underruns no matter how much else my system is doing.
I can even backup to my SCSI tape at the same time without
problems.  I'm nervous that an IDE burner will force me into
buffer underrun land.

Thanks....

Post by Ma.. » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 06:36:58

> I've googled until I'm blue (would that be bluegled?) and I can't
> find a DVD burner that has all of what I want.  These seem to be
> what people like for Linux:

> Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (OBSOLETE)
> http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/ricoh-mp5125a.htm

> NEC ND1100A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (replaces above Ricoh)
> http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/nec-nd-1100a.htm

> HP DVD300i (DVD+RW/+R, CD-R/-RW)
> http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_...
> (watch the line wrap)

> Pioneer DVR-A05 CD-R/RW, CD-RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?...

> All of the above units are EIDE.  Is there a SCSI DVD burner that
> works with Linux?  My reason for wanting this is the wonderful
> burning throughput I get with my SCSI CD burner.  I *NEVER* have
> buffer underruns no matter how much else my system is doing.
> I can even backup to my SCSI tape at the same time without
> problems.  I'm nervous that an IDE burner will force me into
> buffer underrun land.

> Thanks....

> --
> Unless otherwise noted, the statements herein reflect my personal
> opinions and not those of any organization with which I may be affiliated.

I have had great luck with IDE-SCSI emulation.  I was very skeptical, but it
works great!  In fact, it works so well that I've removed my old SCSI CD
writer and replaced it with a (faster) IDE model.  Now I've got both a CD and
DVD writer, and both work great with IDE-SCSI emulation.

By the way, if you really want SCSI on a CDROM, you can sometimes find units
with a bridge card that converts standard 50pin (narrow) SCSI to IDE.  My most
recent drive, "Yamaha CRW-F1E" came with one.  But I didn't need it.  IDE-SCSI
works fine.  Besides, I think a bridge card might just add more problems than
it fixes.  However the bridge card is a viable option when you need to
workstations, etc, that don't have IDE controllers.

Note: Never trust the plain IDE driver for CDROMS.  Lots of timeouts, buffer
over/underruns, etc.  Also many drives don't even allow DMA to be enabled.  I
don't know whether it is the drives or the kernel problem, but it is just
plain broken.

By the way, standard IDE on hard drives is mostly fine.  When DMA works, they
kick ass.  But I don't trust them completely yet.  See my previous posts about
DMA timeouts on this newsgroup.  Hopefully SATA (serial ATA) will fix this
once and for all.  It is supposedly a higher level SCSI-like interface.
It is about time this was fixed...

  Richard

DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

Post by Trevor Hemsle » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:44:52

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:41:17 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware,

> I *NEVER* have
> buffer underruns no matter how much else my system is doing.
> I can even backup to my SCSI tape at the same time without
> problems.  I'm nervous that an IDE burner will force me into
> buffer underrun land.

DVD+R[W] doesn't seem to suffer from this. Burning CD's on my AOpen
DVD+RW does unless I specify driveropts=burnfree to cdrecord but
growisofs never has a problem. But burning CD's on the DVD works OK
with burnproof on - but then I use the Plextor CD-RW for CD's and the
DVD+RW for DVDs.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Fri, 02 May 2003 05:12:30

> All of the above units are EIDE.  Is there a SCSI DVD burner that works
> with Linux?

A few months ago I was in the same situation. I also failed to find a SCSI
dvd burner and instead bought a Sony dru500a. It does DVD+RW and DVD-RW
but not DVD-RAM. This model has 8 MB buffer, most other models only has 2
MB buffer.

regards Henrik
hc2(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:

Post by Frank Mil » Sat, 03 May 2003 02:38:28

>> All of the above units are EIDE.  Is there a SCSI DVD burner that works
>> with Linux?

>A few months ago I was in the same situation. I also failed to find a SCSI
>dvd burner and instead bought a Sony dru500a. It does DVD+RW and DVD-RW
>but not DVD-RAM. This model has 8 MB buffer, most other models only has 2
>MB buffer.

I got a Panasonic DVD burner that does -R, -RAM, and (IIRC) -RW, and a host
of CD- flavors.  Forget the model number, but so far it's working fine.
Haven't tried making -RW's, though.

Personally I try to avoid Sony due to all the DRM *they are pushing for
(and probably include in their products), even though I'm only using this box
for backups & archival data.

        -frank
--

1. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

Has anyone tried a Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM drive
on a Sun? I noticed they have dropped just under $200, and the triple
format is appealing.

--

Emory University    |
Dept of Math and CS | Phone: Voice (404) 727-7963

2. Changing password in nis+

3. Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

4. Olivetti ESC1/ESC2 RAID-SCSI-Controller under Linux ?

5. DVD RAMs or DVD RW are there any?

6. UQWK

7. Problems burning dvd-r and dvd-rw

8. Mgetty, AutoPPP, hangs up the phone!

9. DVD/cd-rw fails to play DVD movies

10. Cdrecord-ProDVD now supports DVD+RW & DVD+R

11. DVD drives in laptops and DVD+-RW's

12. Trouble changing the DVD-booktype width dvd+rw-booktype

13. Sony DVD-RW/CD-RW drive problems