Recommended Graphics Adapters

Post by kenn » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I wish to purchase a new graphics card. What does anyone recommend?

I am looking for something with high performance, 2-3 Mb's and VLB.
Not too expensive, but it doesn't have to have all the latest connectors
or features, ie. windows/render/video acelorators...

It must support Linux, Windows and OS2 Warp.

Thanks

Post by Don Dettk » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>I wish to purchase a new graphics card. What does anyone recommend?

>I am looking for something with high performance, 2-3 Mb's and VLB.
>Not too expensive, but it doesn't have to have all the latest connectors
>or features, ie. windows/render/video acelorators...

>It must support Linux, Windows and OS2 Warp.

The STB Velocity works great in Linux (with XFree86 3.1.2) and Windows.
It also includes drivers for Windows Nice Try (NT) and OS/2 Warp, but
I haven't tried it with either of them.  You might peruse the OS/2 groups
to see if many people are having trouble with it in Warp (and with the
way OS/2 configures video, I'd be surprised if NOBODY had problems with it).
Oh yeah, and the Velocity is based on the S3 968 chip, has a 220MHz IBM
RGB524 RAMDAC, either 2MB (upgradable) or 4MB of VRAM, and a lifetime
warranty.  It performs very well and is not real expensive -- about
$270 U.S. for the 2MB version.

--
Don Dettke,  Software Engineering Consultant

1. A Graphics card and adapter to give 24-bit graphics + 64k colours.

I have a user who wants to produce fancy graphics for his experimental data.
He would like to use Unix and X windows to do this as he wants the advantages
of the multiuser OS.  I was thinking Linux (the price is right) or maybe
BSDi, or any Unix really (all options being considered).

The difficult thing being, he wants a graphics card and driver than will do
24-bit graphics and give him 64k colours.  He wants more than 256 colours
that the drivers with Xfree already provides.

I would like some advice from any knowledgeable people out there who know
of any such driver/card combination for X11.

Thanks

Ian...

--

ANSTO
Australian Nuclear Science                   phone : +61 2 717 3365

2. old Micropolis HD

3. Onboard Graphics adapter, upgrade to PCI Graphics Blaster Riva TNT

4. Handling mail for multiple hosts *urgent*

5. recommended wireless pcmcia adapter/ access points

6. Mounting CDROM cut in Windows

7. Will someone please recommend a good, cheap LAN adapter?

8. Fujitsu HD performance

9. Which graphics card & sound card would be recommended for a new pc

10. recommend a good SCSI adapter

11. Recommended graphics cards?

12. Summarizing: PCMCIA SCSI-Adaptor recommended for linux?

13. PCMCIA SCSI-Adaptor recommended for linux?