soundblaster pci 128:

Post by Stever » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I can't figure this one out either. I only get one of my speakers to
work when playing cd's with rh6.0. It works just fine with win98
unfortunately. Any help would be appreciated.
steverl

soundblaster pci 128:

Post by Jeff Brubake » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

One of your speakers as in only the left speaker or one of your speakers
as in one of the sets (front/rear).  With either OS, software support
is required to access the rear channel.  Linux will only output to your
front speakers.  I have the same card and Win98 does the same, however it
is possible to have a player that reroutes through DirectSound, thus enabling
4 channel output.

If it's a left/right issue, that's really weird, because typically the sound
just goes directly from the CD-ROM to the card via the pass through cable
within your case.  The OS is independant of this.

Jeff

Post by Stone » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I can't figure this one out either. I only get one of my speakers to
> work when playing cd's with rh6.0. It works just fine with win98
> unfortunately. Any help would be appreciated.
> steverl

Hi,

Only thought that occurs to me is that you might want to run a good
mixer program like gmix (gnome) or kmix (KDE) to see if the
channels are unchained on the CD audio.

Good luck,
  Stoney