Initio 9100UW SCSI adapter

Post by Markus Draege » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi folks,

anybody out there running a Initio 9100 UW SCSI card under Linux? They
have drivers on their web site, but besides a precompiled kernel only
the sources are included and no hint whatsoever how to compile a kernel
with that driver... Has anybody done it?

Any help highly appreciated,

Markus

Initio 9100UW SCSI adapter

Post by Travis Llewelly » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Have you looked a SUSE distribution?  Their boot disk has a Initio module
that you can load when it boots. Then you can install to your SCSI drive and
recompile the krnl with it. One drawback so far is that I can get anything
after 2.0.34 to compile right. But all the rest of the krnls compilt ok upto
2.0.35. I even compiled in the fat32 stuff and can now access all my drives
from Linux.

Any way goto www.suse.com or ftp.suse.com and d/l the distribution it is big
but you can order their CD also.

>+- anybody out there running a Initio 9100 UW SCSI card under Linux? They
>+- have drivers on their web site, but besides a precompiled kernel only
>+- the sources are included and no hint whatsoever how to compile a kernel
>+- with that driver... Has anybody done it?

>I've been trying on and off for months. The short answer seems
>to be "you can add the card to an existing Linux system but
>you cannot INSTALL linux onto an Initio-controlled drive."

>If you search dejanews in the comp.os.linux.* hierarchy you
>will find more information. It is possible to build a kernel;
>instructions have been posted before.

>I can't help beyond this -- my system is not running yet. (because
>I have only a SCSI drive, and only the Initio board to control it)

>--
>matthew mcglynn                             "matt at debris dot com"

Initio 9100UW SCSI adapter

Post by Alan Fri » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Have you looked a SUSE distribution?  Their boot disk has a Initio module
>that you can load when it boots. Then you can install to your SCSI drive and
>recompile the krnl with it. One drawback so far is that I can get anything
>after 2.0.34 to compile right. But all the rest of the krnls compilt ok upto
>2.0.35. I even compiled in the fat32 stuff and can now access all my drives
>from Linux.

>Any way goto www.suse.com or ftp.suse.com and d/l the distribution it is big
>but you can order their CD also.

>>+- anybody out there running a Initio 9100 UW SCSI card under Linux? They
>>+- have drivers on their web site, but besides a precompiled kernel only
>>+- the sources are included and no hint whatsoever how to compile a kernel
>>+- with that driver... Has anybody done it?

>>I've been trying on and off for months. The short answer seems
>>to be "you can add the card to an existing Linux system but
>>you cannot INSTALL linux onto an Initio-controlled drive."

I have the same card as well but I use it for my Syjet. I have not figured
out a way to configure the card.

I have the Red Hat Distribution. Will the Suse distribution work with Red Hat 5.1???

Initio 9100UW SCSI adapter

Post by dc.. » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>+- anybody out there running a Initio 9100 UW SCSI card under Linux? They
>+- have drivers on their web site, but besides a precompiled kernel only
>+- the sources are included and no hint whatsoever how to compile a kernel
>+- with that driver... Has anybody done it?

I finally got Linux installed with a SIIG Ultra Wide SCSI card( uses Initio chip).
I got the install images with the precompild kernal from Initio's web site.
Their install images assumes Linux will reside on the first primary
partition( sda1).  I tried to 'trick' the install around the sda1 limit,
but no luck.  Linux now is running happily with my SIIG card( aka Initio).

I would be interested in anything you find out about compiling a new
kernal.  Just in case I need/want to upgrade to a newer kernal.

Dan

Quote:>I've been trying on and off for months. The short answer seems
>to be "you can add the card to an existing Linux system but
>you cannot INSTALL linux onto an Initio-controlled drive."

>If you search dejanews in the comp.os.linux.* hierarchy you
>will find more information. It is possible to build a kernel;
>instructions have been posted before.

>I can't help beyond this -- my system is not running yet. (because
>I have only a SCSI drive, and only the Initio board to control it)

>--
>matthew mcglynn                             "matt at debris dot com"

Dan Critchlow
*** ANTI-SPAM in effect - remove 'nospam' from reply address.

Initio 9100UW SCSI adapter

Post by Travis Llewelly » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

If you want to spend the time or money to d/l SUSE's linux they support it
fully. You just need to boot to the boot disk and then load the Initio SCSI
modules (witch are included) then you can fdisk you SCSI drive and set it as
the root.

SUSE has a really easy setup procedure and it works great so far.

If you have any question feel free to e-mail me or post here.

BTW I have successfully rebuilt a 2.0.35 krnl with the Initio scsi drivers.
Goto www.initio.com and do a search for suse or Linux. I d/l the Redhat
drivers and the readme tells you exactly what to do to get the kernel
rebuilt.

(matthew mcglynn) writes:
>>+- anybody out there running a Initio 9100 UW SCSI card under Linux? They
>>+- have drivers on their web site, but besides a precompiled kernel only
>>+- the sources are included and no hint whatsoever how to compile a kernel
>>+- with that driver... Has anybody done it?

>I finally got Linux installed with a SIIG Ultra Wide SCSI card( uses Initio
chip).
>I got the install images with the precompild kernal from Initio's web site.
>Their install images assumes Linux will reside on the first primary
>partition( sda1).  I tried to 'trick' the install around the sda1 limit,
>but no luck.  Linux now is running happily with my SIIG card( aka Initio).

>I would be interested in anything you find out about compiling a new
>kernal.  Just in case I need/want to upgrade to a newer kernal.

>Dan

>>I've been trying on and off for months. The short answer seems
>>to be "you can add the card to an existing Linux system but
>>you cannot INSTALL linux onto an Initio-controlled drive."

>>If you search dejanews in the comp.os.linux.* hierarchy you
>>will find more information. It is possible to build a kernel;
>>instructions have been posted before.

>>I can't help beyond this -- my system is not running yet. (because
>>I have only a SCSI drive, and only the Initio board to control it)

>>--
>>matthew mcglynn                             "matt at debris dot com"

>Dan Critchlow
>*** ANTI-SPAM in effect - remove 'nospam' from reply address.

Initio 9100UW SCSI adapter

Post by Rod Smi » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi folks,

> anybody out there running a Initio 9100 UW SCSI card under Linux? They
> have drivers on their web site, but besides a precompiled kernel only
> the sources are included and no hint whatsoever how to compile a kernel
> with that driver... Has anybody done it?

I just recently got a SIIG UltraWide card, which uses the same chipset as
the Initio board you mention.  It works pretty well for the most part,
though the SCSI bus occasionally hangs when doing certain tape
operations.  The Initio web site has several Linux-related files,
including install files for Red Hat and SuSE, IIRC, though I've also seen
posts to the effect that these images may only work for installing Linux
to /dev/sda1.  It shouldn't be too hard to create a more flexible install
routine, though; I've an outline of what's required to modify a standard
Red Hat install disk at http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith/rhjol.html.
Of course, this assumes you've got access to a working Red Hat system,
which could be a Catch-22.

The driver source I've seen (and which includes one precompiled binary)
also includes a text file describing in English how to incorporate the
drivers into the kernel.  I've also seen descriptions of a regular kernel
patch file from Initio, but I've not actually seen this.  I get the
impression that Initio's got multiple Linux driver files on their site
and/or has recently updated their files.

I've seen some discussion and contradictory claims about the legal status
of the Initio drivers, so I wrote to them to ask about this, as well as to
thank them for producing the drivers and to report the problems I'd had
with certain tape-related operations.  Here's their reply, which sounds
like they intend to do the Right Thing:

: Yes we will be releasing our drivers and source code to the public, but
: first we have some issues to clean up with the drivers.
:
: The issue you noted in paragraph 3 may be just one of those issues. We
: do have problems with error recovery and slow devices.
:
: Please bear in mind that we are working on these issues and hope to have
: everything finished soon.

I just hope that "soon" is measured on typical computer product
timescales, as opposed to geological timescales.  ;-)

Anyhow, I think Initio does deserve praise for writing these drivers,
particularly if they get them included into the main Linux kernel in a
timely manner.  (It's probably too late for kernel 2.2, sadly.)

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

1. SCSI Initio INI 9100UW

Hello,

I want to install Suse Linux 6.3 on my computer. But there is a problem,
the SCSI-board
Initio INI 9100UW. There is no modul available to load by installation.
Booting with the bootdisk
from Suse Linux 6.2, I can choose a modul, but the system holds after it
finds the first device.
Is there any known way to use Linux with this SCSI-board. Would Suse
Linux 7.0 help?

Thanx for help

Tino Langer

2. home directory to root directory

3. Debian 2.1 won't install; can't see my Initio 9100UW SCSI controller

4. Add C99 initializers to drivers/char/random.c

5. Autoprobe does not recognise initio ini-9100uw SCSI card

6. executing a stream

7. Installing Red Hat Linux with an unsupported SCSI Controller (initio 9100uW)

8. is freebsdmall.com in business?

9. Search for an floppy-image for an initio 9100uw scsi-controller ?

10. ini9100/9100uw scsi host adapter

11. Initio 9100UW (Miles)

12. Initio 9100UW / RH5.1 Linux boot problem

13. initio 9100UW & videomodelines