Using Promis Ultra ATA/66 PCI controller card

Using Promis Ultra ATA/66 PCI controller card

Post by Todd Hargi » Sat, 25 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I have a Promis Ultra ATA/66 PCI controller card powering one Ultra
ATA/66 hard drive. I am using Redhat 6.1. I have recompiled the kernel
and enabled support for the card but I am having a problem mounting
the hard drive attached to the card. For the record the drive attached
to the card is vfat and I just need to know how to access it. I tried
the "mount /dev/sda0 " command but to know avail. Any help would be
appreciated.

Todd

Using Promis Ultra ATA/66 PCI controller card

Post by Tom Hoffman » Sat, 25 Dec 1999 04:00:00

/dev/sda0 is an incorrect designation for an IDE drive.  It's also an
incorrect designation for a SCSI drive.  Try

mount /dev/hda1

assuming you wish to mount the filesystem on the first primary partition
of your first non-scsi hard drive (/hda).

Post by D. Stimit » Sun, 26 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I have a Promis Ultra ATA/66 PCI controller card powering one Ultra
> ATA/66 hard drive. I am using Redhat 6.1. I have recompiled the kernel
> and enabled support for the card but I am having a problem mounting
> the hard drive attached to the card. For the record the drive attached
> to the card is vfat and I just need to know how to access it. I tried
> the "mount /dev/sda0 " command but to know avail. Any help would be
> appreciated.

> Todd

You have to specify the filesystem type, and where to place it. The
location it is placed must be an empty directory. You should cd out of
that directory before trying to mount it.

Also, devices with sd* are scsi devices, and the ata/66 cards are ide.
So you are trying to mount the wrong devices. Assuming this is your
2nd hard drive, it would be /dev/hdb*; you'll also find that unlike
many things in computers that start with the first item being "0",
hd's start with 1. If this were the first partition of the 2nd drive,
it would be:
/dev/hdb1

Assuming you have an empty directory /mnt/drive2, you could do this
for partition 1 of ide device 2:
mount -tvfat /dev/hdb1 /mnt/drive2

You could manually unmount it with:
umount /dev/hdb1

Not unmount, umount.

Post by Linux Us » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>> I have a Promis Ultra ATA/66 PCI controller card powering one Ultra
>> ATA/66 hard drive. I am using Redhat 6.1. I have recompiled the kernel
>> and enabled support for the card but I am having a problem mounting
>> the hard drive attached to the card. For the record the drive attached
>> to the card is vfat and I just need to know how to access it. I tried
>> the "mount /dev/sda0 " command but to know avail. Any help would be
>> appreciated.

>/dev/sda0 is an incorrect designation for an IDE drive.  It's also an
>incorrect designation for a SCSI drive.  Try

>mount /dev/hda1

>assuming you wish to mount the filesystem on the first primary partition
>of your first non-scsi hard drive (/hda).

That's SCSI talk. IDE goes different:
The first IDE controller has devices hda, hdb, hdc and hdd.
hda is master on the first ide bus, hdb slave on the first ide bus,
hdc and hdd are master and slave on the second ide bus.

On my system the Promise Ultra DMA 66 controller is the second ide
controller, having the third and fourth ide busses (ide 2 & ide3).
This makes the Master ide device on the first ide bus of the
promise card /dev/hde.
My system (currently) has no hda and hdb. hdc is a CD ROM. hdd is
a IDE ZIP drive. hde is the hard disk.

So you probably should mount /dev/hde1, to mount the first partition
on the Master drive on the first ide bus on the second ide controller
in your system...

--
http://www.homepages.hetnet.nl/~linuxuser

1. 13.6G 7200RPM Ultra ATA hard drive with Ultra ATA 66 Controller

I just bought Gateway compuetr with 13.6G 7200RPM
Ultra ATA hard drive with Ultra ATA 66
Controller.  The machine already has windos 98.
While installing Linux, the installer was not
able to see the filesys.  The hard drive is
originally not partitioned.  Only C drive exist
in Windos 98.

Does any one know the problem?
Thanks ahead for any responce.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. FIPS Problem: Unmoveable Files

3. Promise ultra ATA/66 PCI controller support in Linux?

4. Printing to Appletalk printer

5. SIIG Ultra ATA 66/ Intel i820 ATA 66 and linux!

6. rdate tycho.usno.navy.mil?

7. Problems installing FreBSD 3.3 with SIIG ultra ata 66 controller card

8. dump(8)ing part of a file system

9. Using a ATA/66 disk with a ATA/66 cable on a Linux 2.2 system

10. HPT366 (Ultra ATA/66 controller) support in FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE?

11. Promise Ultra ATA 66 controller and Mandrake 6.0

12. I/O Magic Ultra ATA/66 Controller

13. IDE RAID - FastTrak/66 (ATA/IDE - PCI RAID CONTROLLER)