built-in IDE RAID vs. Linux-level RAID?

Post by Andrew Carso » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 18:01:39

<snip>
Quote:> Hardware raid-> read documentation of your device, software -> yes.

> > (also, is it true that to go beyond RAID 0, you need more than two
> > disks?)

> Yes, minimum 3 disks.

Actually, for RAID 1, (mirroring) only 2 disks are required.
You effectively only have half the total physical disk space, but you you
have redundancy.
Quote:

> > Any pointers to good intros would also be helpful.

> As I said, google is your friend.

> Davide

built-in IDE RAID vs. Linux-level RAID?

Post by Steve B » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:03:10

Quote:> <snip>
> > Hardware raid-> read documentation of your device, software -> yes.

> > > (also, is it true that to go beyond RAID 0, you need more than two
> > > disks?)

> > Yes, minimum 3 disks.
> Actually, for RAID 1, (mirroring) only 2 disks are required.
> You effectively only have half the total physical disk space, but you you
> have redundancy.

> > > Any pointers to good intros would also be helpful.

> > As I said, google is your friend.

For a good book, but probably more than you want to know try...
Building Storage Networks
by Marc Farley, Mark Farley

Main thing is to understand which RAID is which   0, 1, 5, 0 + 1, 1 + 0.
And the pro's and con's of one RAID level versus another.  Such as which is
better for writes, for reads.   How to estimate available disk space after
RAID overhead.
The dark side of RAID. Like what happens if you don't replace a dead drive
in a RAID 5 array soon enough?

Figure out the answer to those questions and you'll be RAID worthy.

Steve B.

1. built-in IDE RAID vs. Linux-level RAID?

First I will put on my newbie disclaimer here...

Can someone explain the differences and advantage/disadvantages of
using the built-in hardware IDE RAID on some motherboards vs. using
the software level RAID in Linux?

- Which is faster/more-reliable?
- Can the hardwared IDE RAID support RAID for a dual-boot Windows XP
  and Linux system?

- What is the real scoop on the benefits/risks of using RAID 0?
  (i.e. faster vs danger that if one disk fails then both disks are
  screwed)

- Will hardware IDE RAID or Linux software RAID support RAID >0?
 (also, is it true that to go beyond RAID 0, you need more than two
 disks?)

Any pointers to good intros would also be helpful.

Thanks!

2. ipmasqadm

3. Raid performace issues (Raid 5 vs. Raid 0+1) with database files

4. Open GL, Accelerated X, Vis5D - what's best?

5. IDE RAID Cards vs Software RAID????

6. 3COM 503 + Red Hat 4.0 errors

7. soft ide raid (5?) vs. SCSI raid

8. pro's/contra's upgrading S3-ViRGE/DX/GX (2MB) to VooDoo3 3000(from 3dfx) with 16MB?, idea's? experiences?

9. IDE RAID vs. SCSI RAID

10. IDE RAID - FastTrak/66 (ATA/IDE - PCI RAID CONTROLLER)

11. Anyone can sucessfully install RH7.X on Asus P4B-266E w/ built-in Promise IDE RAID

12. Linux software RAID vs. hardware RAID