What average result for '' hdparm -t "" with ATA66 HD ??

What average result for '' hdparm -t "" with ATA66 HD ??

Post by Thierry B » Thu, 20 Sep 2001 02:46:58

Hi,

It seems my new harddrive do not operate at its best speed. Here is my hardware
:

- Celeron 500
- 192Mo ram
- MB Chaintech 6ATA2 (via chipset 686A UDMA66)
- I just intalled Mandrake 8
- on a brand new Seagate Barracuda ATAIII (UDMA100,
 but downgraded to UDMA66 with seagate utility), 40Gb, master on the first IDE
channel, with ATA66/100 cable
- Seagate Medalist, 4Go (UDMA33), slave on primary channel
(fat32)
- Quantum Fireball, 3.2Go (UDMA33), master on 2nd channel
(fat32)
- HP CdWriter (UDMA33), slave on 2nd channel

hdparm t /dev/hda give me 11,90Mb/s, but I read that someone whith an IBM 60GXP
got a below average result with 18Mb/s for ATA66 mode !!

I am also disappointed because it runs nearly to the same speed than the two
other old drives, 9Mb/s. After some searches, I found a command I don't remember
exactly (something like " gresp | .... dma ") that display the IDE controler and
hardrive modes. I see in the output  that the controler is ata66, but each
harddrive line (hda, b and c) end with " (UDMA33) ".

After other searches, I found that I have to add ? append=" ide0=ata66" ? (or
ata100) to lilo.conf if linux does not use UDMA66. Also there is a line " lba32
" in my lilo.conf, which seems good, and ? append=" hdd=ide-scsi quiet" ? for
the CD-writer. So the append line become ? append=" ide0=ata66 hdd=ide-scsi
quiet ?. I save lilo.conf, type " /sbin/lilo " and I reboot my PC. This time I
see (UDMA66), that is good, but the speed test give the same result.

I found other internet ressources about hdparm, to activate Multisector I/O to
speed hardrives. ? hdparm i /dev/hda ? give me MaxMultiSec=16 but MultiSec=off
(not activated). So I type ? hdparm m16 /dev/hda ? and ? hdparm d1 /dev/hda ?
(lba 32 bits) and I see with ? hdparm i /dev/hda ? that MultiSect became 16.
Unfortunately, this do not changed the speed test anymore.

As a new linux user, I don't know what to do next. All BIOS settings are auto
for hardrive or enabled for udma options. I can see on the boot screen that the
new drive is UDMA66.

Any ideas ?,

Thanks

------
User of http://www.foorum.com/. The best tools for usenet searching.

What average result for '' hdparm -t "" with ATA66 HD ??

Post by Dances With Cro » Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:43:47

On 18 Sep 2001 17:46:58 GMT, Thierry B. staggered into the Black Sun and
said:
Quote:>It seems my new harddrive do not operate at its best speed. Here is my
>hdparm t /dev/hda give me 11,90Mb/s, but I read that someone whith an
>IBM 60GXP got a below average result with 18Mb/s for ATA66 mode !!

[snip]

/dev/hdb:
 multcount    =  0 (off)
 I/O support  =  0 (16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
gives hdparm -Tt of about 6M/s.  Yuck.

hdparm -m16 -u1 -c1 -d1 /dev/hdb  (turns on multi-sector reads,
unmasking of interrupts, 32-bit I/O, and DMA) and then I get an hdparm
-Tt result of ~33 M/s, which is pretty good.  Yes, I have UDMA/66
enabled, and no, it doesn't help much--the physical disk assembly can
only pull about 33M/s, it seems.  Guess I need a 10000 RPM disk, or
one that's 80G instead of 45....

The hdparm command above is the way to get better speed out of your IDE
disks.  The -d1 is probably the biggest gain.  If you get an error like
"HDIOPARM:  Cannot set DMA" then you need to recompile the kernel with
support for using DMA on your particular motherboard chipset.  "cat
/proc/pci | grep -3 IDE" will give you some idea of what the chipset is.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /     That which does not kill us
http://www.brainbench.com     /      makes us stranger.
-----------------------------/       --Trevor Goodchild, "AEon Flux"

Post by Thierry B » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:49:36

> /dev/hdb:
>  multcount    =  0 (off)
>  I/O support  =  0 (16-bit)
>  unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
>  using_dma    =  0 (off)

in fact, I/O support, unmasking and using_dma was already on after linux
setup, only multisector was missing (-mXX).

Quote:> gives hdparm -Tt of about 6M/s.  Yuck.

6M/s, you mean this is the result of -t, not -T (45,5Mb/s for all disk
for me, but this i not the speed of the disks).

Quote:

> hdparm -m16 -u1 -c1 -d1 /dev/hdb  (turns on multi-sector reads,
> unmasking of interrupts, 32-bit I/O, and DMA) and then I get an hdparm
> -Tt result of ~33 M/s, which is pretty good.

You have a lot of chances ....

Quote:> Yes, I have UDMA/66
> enabled, and no, it doesn't help much--the physical disk assembly can
> only pull about 33M/s, it seems.  Guess I need a 10000 RPM disk, or
> one that's 80G instead of 45....

> The hdparm command above is the way to get better speed out of your IDE
> disks.  The -d1 is probably the biggest gain.  If you get an error like
> "HDIOPARM:  Cannot set DMA" then you need to recompile the kernel with
> support for using DMA on your particular motherboard chipset.  "cat
> /proc/pci | grep -3 IDE" will give you some idea of what the chipset is.

no error.

In fact, the last thing to try is to leave the new disk alone to see if
mixing  different ATA on the same channel can cause problems.
Thanks
--

Thierry B.

Email/Ml :REMOVE/ENLEVER "NOSPAM" from Email to answer/de l'Email pour
me rpondre

My machine: P166+mmx, 32mb ram, 4gb HD with Win95 and Win NT 4.0 and
redhat5.1 co-existed in different partitions.

I issued "sndconfig" within a xterm inside X Window, The program
detects the SB 16 pnp card sets it up with no error message, but when
it launch ModProbe to test out, it gets a message states: An error was
encountered running the ModProbe program."  I tried different IRQ
settings, all ends with the same message.

2nd, When I try to mount /dev/cdrom from File Systerm Manager, the
following error is returned:  Can't find /dev/hdb in /etc/mtab or
/etc/fstab.

3nd, When my machine boots, it halts at "Sendmail" for about 3-5 mins
before it goes to next step.  Obviously there isn't any mail system on
the machine right now because it is a standalone.  How can take this
mail thing out and speed up booting?

last one, Is my Zoom 56k PCI FaxModem a Windmodem that Linux can't use
to connect me to my local isp?

Experts help me out please. thanks.

2. Abit BP6 UDMA/66 problems

3. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?

4. NIS

5. Protecting variable from shell

6. 'echo "some text" |read foo' results in empty $foo

7. Re : Site log watcher !?

8. progname=`$echo "$0" | sed 's%^.*/%%'` bears no result!!!

9. WHY 'exec "$REALFILE" ${1+"$@"}'

10. "McCabe's Cyclomatic Complexity" and "Halstead's Metrics"

12. hdparm says "Hmm.. suspicious results"