Recommendations for Low Memory Systems?

Post by Samu » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 03:34:35

I have some older systems that I'd like to install Linux to. I'd also
like to have a GUI and Open Office.

Some of the systems are 433 Celerons with 64 MB of RAM and some of the
others are P100 Laptops with 32 MB of RAM.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Post by Patrick McDonnel » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 04:05:36

> I have some older systems that I'd like to install Linux to. I'd also
> like to have a GUI and Open Office.

> Some of the systems are 433 Celerons with 64 MB of RAM and some of the
> others are P100 Laptops with 32 MB of RAM.

> Can anyone make any recommendations?

As a Window Manager, stay away from KDE/Gnome.  On the P-100's, stick with
something really light-weight ({flux,open,black}box, perhaps).  On the more
powerful machines with 64M+ of RAM, you may find XFce to run well.

I would not even try running OpenOffice on any of the machines you have
described.  A better bet may be to try AbiWord/Gnumeric, but it can still
be pretty slow (on my K6 400MHz 64M laptop, anyway).  You may want to try
something like LyX, with TeX and PDF support and all.

Post by Bill Unr » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 04:19:46

]I have some older systems that I'd like to install Linux to. I'd also
]like to have a GUI and Open Office.

]Some of the systems are 433 Celerons with 64 MB of RAM and some of the
]others are P100 Laptops with 32 MB of RAM.

Get more memory. Run a bare GUI, not kde or gnome.
Openoffice uses a lot of memory.
Get more memory.

]Can anyone make any recommendations?

Recommendations for Low Memory Systems?

Post by Kurt » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 04:27:50

Samuel wrote in

Quote:> I have some older systems that I'd like to install Linux to. I'd
> also like to have a GUI and Open Office.

> Some of the systems are 433 Celerons with 64 MB of RAM and some of
> the others are P100 Laptops with 32 MB of RAM.

> Can anyone make any recommendations?

Damnsmalllinux,FeatherLinux,PuppyLinux.
But you won't be happy in that none of them will run Open Office (which
likes >256mb RAM).

--
Cheers,
Kurt

Post by mjt » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 04:33:04

> I have some older systems that I'd like to install Linux to. I'd also
> like to have a GUI and Open Office.

> Some of the systems are 433 Celerons with 64 MB of RAM and some of the
> others are P100 Laptops with 32 MB of RAM.

... not with that low-RAM spec.  icewm will be your
only bet  (and painfully so).  i doubt OO.org will run
.
--
<<   http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com/   >>
The Pig, if I am not mistaken,

Post by Michael Heimin » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 05:03:58

Recommendations for Low Memory Systems?

Post by Bob Hauc » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 07:35:37

Quote:> Some of the systems are 433 Celerons with 64 MB of RAM and some of the
> others are P100 Laptops with 32 MB of RAM.

I don't think I'd want to run OOo with so little RAM.  Mabye something
like Abiword would do the job?   LyX would be even lighter on RAM but it
is a bit, um, different.  I'd suggest IceWM for a window manager.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

Recommendations for Low Memory Systems?

Post by John Reise » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:10:55

Quote:> I have some older systems that I'd like to install Linux to. I'd also
> like to have a GUI and Open Office.

By far the best general-purpose use of a system with 32MB RAM is running
Linux Terminal Server Project (http://www.ltsp.org) as a client of a larger
Linux server.  One server can handle many such clients (frequently dozens),
and the response at the clients to GUI and Open Office is very good.

--

Post by Abdullah Ramazanogl » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:30:20

Quote:> I have some older systems that I'd like to install Linux to. I'd also
> like to have a GUI and Open Office.

> Some of the systems are 433 Celerons with 64 MB of RAM and some of the
> others are P100 Laptops with 32 MB of RAM.

> Can anyone make any recommendations?

For the sake of consistency, it is not advisable to run e.g. Mandrake +
KDE on some systems and FeatherLinux + IceWm on others. Also there is no
way you can run OOo on a 32M system no matter what distro/wm you use. So,
for the P100/32M systems I second John's LTSP suggestion.

For Celeron433/64M systems I would suggest that you upgrade them to at
least 128M (preferably 192M), try to overclock them by 10% or more
(increase bus speed from 66 to 75MHz or higher, search "overclocking" for
details) and see my other posts on the subject, with following message ids:

A quote from the last one:
"My home machine is a Celeron 333 (overclocked to 375) with 128M RAM, and
it does fairly well with Mandrake 10.0. The bonus I have (so to speak) is
that my VGA card is a S3-Virge (8M) which has a fully accelerated driver."

HTH
--

Ramazanoglu     | myrealbox |
________________| D-O-T c?m |

Post by neph.. » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:18:56

: ... not with that low-RAM spec.  icewm will be your
: only bet  (and painfully so).  i doubt OO.org will run
I can confirm that Open Oggice will run on an original pentium (166) with
64MB of RAM. It takes about a minute to load. Loading from the Knoppix
Live CD makes it unusable (7 minute load, slow screen re-draw).

I concur that KDE and GNOME are not good on older hardware. For a Window
Manager I use FVWM2.

Regards,

James

PS: At the moment, I am not using a window-manager at all...
I'm using a text console.

Recommendations for Low Memory Systems?

Post by Richard Stein » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:01:45

Here in comp.os.linux.misc,

Quote:>I have some older systems that I'd like to install Linux to. I'd also
>like to have a GUI and Open Office.

>Some of the systems are 433 Celerons with 64 MB of RAM and some of the
>others are P100 Laptops with 32 MB of RAM.

>Can anyone make any recommendations?

Mandrake 8.2 will run fine even with KDE on the 64MB boxes, but using
OpenOffice on such a box will be slow.  If you can add more memory to
those boxes, I'd suggest doing so.  :-)

Newer versions of Mandrake (9.0 and later) seem to have significantly
higher memory requirements, at least if their included version of KDE
is used.  As others have suggested, some of the other window managers
included are a lot less memory-hungry.

I dunno what to say about the 32MB P100 boxes.

--
 -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
     Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.

Post by neph.. » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:26:42

: For Celeron433/64M systems I would suggest that you upgrade them to at
: least 128M (preferably 192M), try to overclock them by 10% or more
: (increase bus speed from 66 to 75MHz or higher, search "overclocking" for
: details) and see my other posts on the subject, with following message ids:

I would not suggest overclocking older computers. Over time they seem to
get less stable. It may be because the fans slow down or the capacitors
start to dry out. I have an old computer that is actually *underclocked*
by 10%

regards,

James Phillips

Post by Bill Unr » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:42:55

]> I have some older systems that I'd like to install Linux to. I'd also
]> like to have a GUI and Open Office.
]>
]> Some of the systems are 433 Celerons with 64 MB of RAM and some of the
]> others are P100 Laptops with 32 MB of RAM.
]>
]> Can anyone make any recommendations?

]For the sake of consistency, it is not advisable to run e.g. Mandrake +
]KDE on some systems and FeatherLinux + IceWm on others. Also there is no
]way you can run OOo on a 32M system no matter what distro/wm you use. So,
]for the P100/32M systems I second John's LTSP suggestion.

]For Celeron433/64M systems I would suggest that you upgrade them to at
]least 128M (preferably 192M), try to overclock them by 10% or more
](increase bus speed from 66 to 75MHz or higher, search "overclocking" for
]details) and see my other posts on the subject, with following message ids:

The memory is a good idea. The overclocking is a bad idea. That 10% is
negligible increase in speed-- you will not notice it, but you will notice
the crashes and the instability.

Post by mjt » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:16:06

> For Celeron433/64M systems I would suggest that you upgrade them to at
> least 128M (preferably 192M), try to overclock them by 10% or more

... bad idea. the VERY slight increase (read as "not noticeable")
in speed does NOT overshadow the decrease in reliability
.
--
<<   http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com/   >>
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing

Recommendations for Low Memory Systems?

Post by Abdullah Ramazanogl » Tue, 17 Aug 2004 06:11:53

 --8<--

Quote:> For Celeron433/64M systems I would suggest that you upgrade them to at
> least 128M (preferably 192M), try to overclock them by 10% or more
> (increase bus speed from 66 to 75MHz or higher, search "overclocking" for
> details) and see my other posts on the subject, with following message ids:

To reply everybody with a single post; I agree with the stability concerns
and it was a bit hasty of mine to suggest OC without going into details.
But given it is handled right, OC would enable the OP to take calculated
risks with a net result being to his benefit. So I suggest (and aplly
myself) the following method:

0. Don't OC servers, or critical workstations that can't tolerate a crash.
(From what I gather those PCs don't seem to be used for critical tasks.)

1. Know technical details associated with OC, such as heat, dissipation of
it, core voltage effects on speed attainability (stabilizing) and heat
generation (destabilizing), side effects of PCI bus freq variations, etc.
This is why the OP should visit sites dedicated to OC.

2. OC to as high a frequency as Linux can manage a succesfull boot, can
use PCI devices successfully, and then take a step or two back. Try to
keep PCI frequency as close to 33MHz as possible, when there's such an
option (eg increase multiplier instead of bus freq.)

3. If it crashes more than once in a month, reduce OC by half. And repeat
this step until it doesn't crash anymore.

I guess with a calculated risk taking, the overall end result would be
more beneficial than not OCing at all.

But all in all, I agree that OC is not a good thing (tm).

 --8<--
--

Ramazanoglu     | myrealbox |
________________| D-O-T c?m |

1. Low cost, low power small form-factor system?

I'm currently using an old PC as a firewall at home. The problem is
that it's bulky and noisy. I would like to get something like a
StrongArm based system with a flash, serialport, and two ethernet
ports. The problems is that most of the embedded systems that I've
seen so fare are quite expensive. Can anybody recommend any low cost,
low power (no noisy fan), and small form-factor systems? Not
necessarily ARM based.

Thanks
Petter
Petter Gustad   8'h2B | (~8'h2B) - Hamlet in Verilog   http://gustad.com

2. reversed vgetty..

3. how to install in low memory (<4M RAM) system?

4. How to control how Linux parses /etc/exportfs

5. Extremely low memory system

6. upgrading to KDE 1.1.1 kills the tasbar?

7. getting good I/O rates on low memory system; madvise?

8. How can I hide user's cursor?

9. Low-memory install: Cannot allocate memory at startup!

10. Solaris on x86: LOW LOW LOW PRICES

11. Understanding high memory versus low memory?

12. Low memory and no swap memory

13. Solaris on x86: LOW LOW LOW PRICES