Diamond Supra Express 56i Modem

Post by Mark Douthwait » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have a Pentium 166 MMX PC using Win 95 dual booting with Linux Red Hat
5.2.  My modem is a Diamond Supra Express 56i (internal).
I have tried to configure the modem (using netcfg) but can't get it to
initialise.
I am also having problems with my PPP interface being shown as active.
Everytime I use netcfg it is shown as inactive again !
Has anyone successfully connected to the net using the same modem?
Any tips would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Mark Douthwaite.

Diamond Supra Express 56i Modem

Post by Chris Mahmoo » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

did you check to see whether it's a winmodem?
-ckm

Diamond Supra Express 56i Modem

Post by kak.. » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a Pentium 166 MMX PC using Win 95 dual booting with Linux Red Hat
> 5.2.  My modem is a Diamond Supra Express 56i (internal).
> I have tried to configure the modem (using netcfg) but can't get it to
> initialise.
> I am also having problems with my PPP interface being shown as active.
> Everytime I use netcfg it is shown as inactive again !
> Has anyone successfully connected to the net using the same modem?
> Any tips would be much appreciated.
> Many thanks.
> Mark Douthwaite.

Diamond Supra Express 56i Modem

Post by Mark Douthwait » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have a Pentium 166mmx PC running Win 95 and dual booting with Linux
Red Hat 5.2.
I cannot get my modem to work at all.  I have tried using netcfg but
with no joy.  Also, I cannot get the ppp interface to stay 'active'.
Everytime I go back into netcfg it is shown as inactive again.
I know this is probably basic but I'm very new to Linux.
Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

Mark Douthwaite.

Diamond Supra Express 56i Modem

Post by Henry Davie » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Some of the modems in that family are reported to be WinModems (only
work in windows - no hope in Linux) some are real modems.  The one I
have is a real modem (it is ISA).

Check your particular modem.  There is a list of modems and their Linux
compatibility (I forgot where).

Post by Steven J. Mack » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Some of the modems in that family are reported to be WinModems (only
> work in windows - no hope in Linux) some are real modems.  The one I
> have is a real modem (it is ISA).

> Check your particular modem.  There is a list of modems and their Linux
> compatibility (I forgot where).

> > I have a Pentium 166mmx PC running Win 95 and dual booting with Linux
> > Red Hat 5.2.
> > I cannot get my modem to work at all.  I have tried using netcfg but
> > with no joy.  Also, I cannot get the ppp interface to stay 'active'.
> > Everytime I go back into netcfg it is shown as inactive again.
> > I know this is probably basic but I'm very new to Linux.
> > Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

> > Mark Douthwaite.

This is a nightmare of an issue.... The Supra Express family is OK for the
most part. The Supra Max family is junk. I am presently running a Supra
Express 56i sp (speaker phone) and it works flawlessly under Linux. I did
not even need to use isapnptools to get it to work. I simply set the
correct parameters with the "setserial" command and it worked. It took
awhile to figure out a port and address for it, but now it works fine.

Steve

p.s. There is info at the Diamond website for each of its modems. There is
also a list of supported modems at the Linux documentation Project.

1. Is my Diamond Supra Express 56i V Pro PCI modem Linux compatible?

Hi,

Can someone please tell me if my Diamond SupraExpress 56i V Pro PCI modem is
Linux compatible?

If so, how do I get it to be recognised correctly? Whenever kppp tries ot
startit always says the modem is busy.

Any help would be appreeciated - preferably via email

2. which modem is better?

3. Diamond Supra Express 56i SP PC Modem

4. "Sub" URLs

5. Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci modem

6. DOJ v. Microsoft, a GNU twist

7. Lexmark 5000/Diamond Supra Express 56i Pro

8. testing, please ignore

9. Diamond Supra Express 56i Sp Compatible?

10. Supra Express 56i (internal ISA modem card)

11. Modem Diamond Multimedia Supra PCI 56i - winmodem or not?

12. Diamond Supra Express external 56k modem