hdd

Post by za.. » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

have recently bought a new 13GB Fujitsu hd. my bios dont suport disks
over 8.5GB? (theres no update for the bios available) but i can
partition the whole disk with linux fdisk.
the partition table looks like this:

~20  MB /dev/hda1 /boot (ext2)
1000 MB /dev/hda2 /dosC  (fat 32)
3000 MB /dev/hda3 /     (ext2)
<extended (hda4)>
5000 MB /dev/hda5 /dosD  (fat 32)
~4000 MB /dev/hda6 /dosE (fat 32)

the problem is that if i make hda6 as fat32 and formats it in win, the
partition gets 4GB and i can read it in win. but i cant mount it in
linux. So if i make the partition in linux and runs mkdosfs on it, it
only gets 2GB and i can mount it in both win and linux but only as 2GB.
so if i create it as ext2 in linux i can use the whole 4GB in linux.
but i cant use it in win as of the restrictions to fat in win.
so after alot of fiddleing i decided to make two 2GB partitions
instead. but then i couldnt format or mkdosfs on any of them?!
i get alitle anoyed since i can mount the 5GB partition. and i can use
the whole disk in win. and in linux if i use ext2.

any one knows if theres some hack or something for this? or any ideas
at all?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Replacing old HDD with new bigger HDD, Please help me!

I would like to replace my old SCSI HDD with new bigger (3.2G) EIDE HDD.
My all linux box is in SCSI HDD, so I need somehow transfer all the
file systems and root files to new HDD. But, I don't want to reinstall
everything.

Is there any clever method for doing this job?

Could you anyone help me out?

Many thanks.

2. connecting to internet using PPP, trouble visiting certain sites

3. hdd-kernel-parameters & hdd-geometry

4. Sygate/Nat32 equivalent for linux

5. Can I copy my Linux partition from Desktop HDD to mobile HDD via USB?

6. HPT Docs/HOWTOs/Man pages?!?

7. Booting from HDD into ramdisk, then unmount HDD?

8. Routing issues

9. What is the best way to copy datas from an old dying HDD to a new HDD?

10. Does "Iomega HDD 20 GB usb 2.0" work with linux?

11. seagate 17.2gig hdd

12. third HDD on secondary controller problem

13. HOWTO and BIOS HDD limits