Cant boot from CD

Post by Wolf Volkma » Fri, 16 Apr 2004 06:08:10

Hello, i have the following problem:

I have a a little computer with linux on it.
Every Time i boot this machine it says the battery would be empty, but
i have tried a new one with the same result, so as you may already
realized, i can setup everything in the bios then the system reboots
and reloads the system defaults cause the battery is empty
(zzzZZZzzz).
Its impossible to boot from cd now, but i want to update my linux to
9.0.

Is there anyway how i can get lilo to boot from cd or how could i get
this machine to boot from cd?

Any Ideas?

Cant boot from CD

Post by moma » Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:04:43

Hello Wolf,

1) Try to set the boot order in BIOS setup.
The default boot sequence is often floppy followed by hard drive and CD.
Change it.

2) Or you can create a boot-floppy for installation (see the inst.
manual for your distro). Installation can continue from CDs after boot.

// moma
    http:www.futuredesktop.org/how2burn.html

> Hello, i have the following problem:

> I have a a little computer with linux on it.
> Every Time i boot this machine it says the battery would be empty, but
> i have tried a new one with the same result, so as you may already
> realized, i can setup everything in the bios then the system reboots
> and reloads the system defaults cause the battery is empty
> (zzzZZZzzz).
> Its impossible to boot from cd now, but i want to update my linux to
> 9.0.

> Is there anyway how i can get lilo to boot from cd or how could i get
> this machine to boot from cd?

> Any Ideas?

Cant boot from CD

Post by Wolf Volkma » Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:03:23

Hello mona,

you didnt understand my Problem:
When i change the boot order, save this, exit the bios then the system
reboots and an error message appears saying "Battery empty - CMOS
Defaults loaded".

Do you understand what i mean?

I already fixed the problem by using this harddrive in an other
computer, but i wanna figer out how i can boot this machine from
cd....

Wolf

> Hello Wolf,

> 1) Try to set the boot order in BIOS setup.
> The default boot sequence is often floppy followed by hard drive and CD.
> Change it.

> 2) Or you can create a boot-floppy for installation (see the inst.
> manual for your distro). Installation can continue from CDs after boot.

> // moma
>     http:www.futuredesktop.org/how2burn.html

> > Hello, i have the following problem:

> > I have a a little computer with linux on it.
> > Every Time i boot this machine it says the battery would be empty, but
> > i have tried a new one with the same result, so as you may already
> > realized, i can setup everything in the bios then the system reboots
> > and reloads the system defaults cause the battery is empty
> > (zzzZZZzzz).
> > Its impossible to boot from cd now, but i want to update my linux to
> > 9.0.

> > Is there anyway how i can get lilo to boot from cd or how could i get
> > this machine to boot from cd?

> > Any Ideas?

Cant boot from CD

Post by Chri » Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:25:58

>> > Hello, i have the following problem:

>> > I have a a little computer with linux on it.
>> > Every Time i boot this machine it says the battery would be
>> > empty, but i have tried a new one with the same result, so
>> > as you may already realized, i can setup everything in the
>> > bios then the system reboots and reloads the system defaults
>> > cause the battery is empty (zzzZZZzzz).
>> > Its impossible to boot from cd now, but i want to update my
>> > linux to 9.0.

>> > Is there anyway how i can get lilo to boot from cd or how
>> > could i get this machine to boot from cd?

>> > Any Ideas?
>> Hello Wolf,

>> 1) Try to set the boot order in BIOS setup.
>> The default boot sequence is often floppy followed by hard
>> drive and CD. Change it.

>> 2) Or you can create a boot-floppy for installation (see the
>> inst. manual for your distro). Installation can continue from
>> CDs after boot.

>> // moma
>>     http:www.futuredesktop.org/how2burn.html

> Hello mona,

> you didnt understand my Problem:
> When i change the boot order, save this, exit the bios then the
> system reboots and an error message appears saying "Battery
> empty - CMOS Defaults loaded".

> Do you understand what i mean?

> I already fixed the problem by using this harddrive in an other
> computer, but i wanna figer out how i can boot this machine
> from cd....

> Wolf

<top-posting corrected>

Your motherboard has a little battery on it which allows the
motherboard to store the CMOS data (i.e. hard disk size, date,
boot sequence etc.) when the power is switched off. It appears
that yours has run out. They are usually of the type you use in
cameras. Go buy one and replace the dead one and everything will
work as expected.
HTH

Chris.

Cant boot from CD

Post by John Thompso » Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:51:15

Quote:> When i change the boot order, save this, exit the bios then the system
> reboots and an error message appears saying "Battery empty - CMOS
> Defaults loaded".

> Do you understand what i mean?

Have you tried replacing the motherboard battery?

--

Cant boot from CD

Post by Wolf Volkma » Thu, 29 Apr 2004 04:43:08

Quote:> <top-posting corrected>

> Your motherboard has a little battery on it which allows the
> motherboard to store the CMOS data (i.e. hard disk size, date,
> boot sequence etc.) when the power is switched off. It appears
> that yours has run out. They are usually of the type you use in
> cameras. Go buy one and replace the dead one and everything will
> work as expected.
> HTH

> Chris.

I already tried an other Battery (from my computer <--WORKING!), but
there is the same Error-Message.

1. Cant boot from NEC 3Xi CD 0.99.14 Yggdrasil

Boot problem from NEC 3Xi triple speed CDROM

Problem: LINUX does not boot

selected lines from the console...
    LILO
    uncompressing linux
    Sony CDROM reset occured or disk changed
    inquiry command returned status 0x8A

    scsi 0 hosts
    scsi detected   0 scsi disks   0 cdroms   0 tapes
    hpfs: map sector: read error

Environment
    Linux from Yggdrasil, Fall 1993 revision B, 0.99.14(?)

    Tried on two different machines
    486/50, and 486/66 (both with AMI motherboards)

    Tried two different configurations -
    A) on a multi-device internal SCSI cable, non terminated, using a
    Adaptec SCSI controller, integrated on the motherboard, which
    identifies itself as AHA 1510/AIC 6360, IO Port 340H
    B) terminated, as the sole device on a NEC 16bit SCSI i/f

    (The hard disk is also SCSI - machine 1: Conner 500 mb,
    machine 2 Fuji 1 GB).

    Tried two switch settings on the NEC CDROM: SCSI-1 and SCSI-2
    both returned the same results

    The CDROM is on unit #1, the SCSI disks were unit #0

    The NEC CDROM drive works fine under DOS 6.2 using MSCDEX and Windows.

Notes:
    The backpage of the Yggdrasil booklet does NOT list the NEC drive
    nor the Adaptec 1510 SCSI controller.  However, we hoped that since
    SCSI-2 is becoming a reasonable standard, things would work
    together.  Obviously not.

Question:
    Are the drivers for AHA1510 & NEC included in the latest Yggdrasil
    release?
    Would the version 1.0 that I have heard about help?

Any help would be appreciated....
Thanx
Saul Rosenberg

2. xrn 6-17 compiles, but process grows until killed...?

3. Cant boot Linux (Sum'94) CD-ROM

4. Will anyone buy NT??

5. cant get passed 'looking for cd' during boot

6. PLEASE STOP POSTING REPLIES TO ALL MY POSTS !!!

7. Cant boot slack 7 from aic boot disk

8. KDI compile problem headway

9. Cant exicute program while booted off boot and root install disks????

10. Help: restored RH linux boot part, but cant boot !

11. KERNEL PANIC: I CANT BOOT FROM SETUP'S LILO BOOT DISK!

12. boot : / is readonly ? (or cant boot from raid)

13. Stuck at first step - Cant boot from boot floppy - Help