Can this Router be saved?

Post by Jeff » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 11:54:02

Looking for advice on a decent router.

I'm using a LinkSys BEFSR41, and I'm having to reset it continously
throughout the day, due to it's locking up.
I'm using a cable connection (Charter Communications), and acting as a
OpenNap Server (high bandwidth).

Do I need a more robust router, T1 connection, or what?

BTW, the server is a Linux 7.2 box; 512MB RAM, 500 MHZ.

Can this Router be saved?

Post by Clive Dov » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 20:55:07

> Looking for advice on a decent router.

> I'm using a LinkSys BEFSR41, and I'm having to reset it continously
> throughout the day, due to it's locking up.
> I'm using a cable connection (Charter Communications), and acting as a
> OpenNap Server (high bandwidth).

> Do I need a more robust router, T1 connection, or what?

> BTW, the server is a Linux 7.2 box; 512MB RAM, 500 MHZ.

Are you sure the router is the problem?

If so, would a firmware update possibly cure it?

I have been using this router on a standard cable modem service for almost
2 years with no problem.

Any time the system went wonky, it was either at the broadband modem or at
the provider's gateway or daemons.

The router is rated for 10Mbps and the switch at 10/100Mbps.
Is your service faster than 10Mbps?

1. How save am I ?

I have Debian Potato on 2.2.13 kernel. I have a 24/7 connection with a
static IP number on a stand-alone comuter.
Everything is closed in /etc/ined.conf (users only have SSH and FTP login).
There are now servers running on my computer and I don't have a firewall
(like IPChains orso).

My question is : How save am I from hackers/attackers/crackers ?

(nmap  -sS -0 of myself)
/*
Port    State       Protocol  Service
21      open        tcp        ftp
22      open        tcp        ssh
25      open        tcp        smtp
111     open        tcp        sunrpc
1024    open        tcp        unknown
6000    open        tcp        X11

TCP Sequence Prediction: Class=random positive increments
                         Difficulty=571002 (Good luck!)
Remote operating system guess: Linux 2.1.122 - 2.2.13
*/

Thanks for your comments / advice

--

Digital Overdrive

--
Visit
Digiover Start Page : http://kickme.to/digiover

2. 2.4.20 DVD Driver problem !?

3. Simple 10/100 router, What am i missing?

4. FreeBSD and RADIUS

5. router log - I am under attack ??

6. Update MAINTAINERS for modules

7. linksys router keepd disconnecting me from DSL (please help, I am lost)

8. X for linux

9. It's not bad canned meat...

10. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

11. CGI: apache canned response

12. For those of you tired of canned distributions...