EIDE advice wanted

Post by Richard L. England J » Fri, 10 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I've got a problem and could use some advice.  For the last
2 years, I've been running both MS-DOS/Windoze and Linux on
my 486DX-50 PC and couldn't be happier, except that I have
now depleted my 540 Mb hard drive (100 Mb for DOS, rest for
Linux).  I've also got a Syquest 3105 removable hard drive
that I use for backups.

Last weekend I went out and bought a 1.6-Gb IDE drive so
that I'd have more space to keep the source code around
that I like to hack on, then discovered that my BIOS does
not support LBA.  Also, it would be nice if I didn't have
to give up my Syquest drive to be able to use the new,
bigger hard drive.

I called Rise (the manufacturer of my VESA 486 motherboard)
and was told that I could get a BIOS upgrade for $20 that
would give me LBA.  I was also told that in the CMOS hard
drive configuration, I'd only see two IDE devices, but that
the BIOS would support more than two nevertheless.  A bit
confused (perhaps because I don't have a lot of know-how
with regard to PCs), I asked with amazement "How???"  He
said that the other two IDE devices would have to be
accommodated by drivers, which should come included with
any EIDE controller card.

I'd like to know if he was telling me the truth.
If I were to go ahead and purchase this BIOS upgrade and
a DTC-2278D EIDE controller card, would I then be able to
use my 540-Mb, 1.6-Gb, and Syquest removable hard drives
and be able to run Linux?

If he was not telling the truth, can anyone offer any
advice as to what I should do about this?  Buying a new
486 motherboard is out of the question, as I'll probably
end up upgrading to a Pentium in the next 4 or 5 months.
Does anyone know of a BIOS-equipped EIDE controller card
that will work with Linux?

| P. O. Box 300322                 Home  (817) 261-6513 |
| Arlington, TX 76007-0322         Pager (214) 822-0394 |
|          Friends don't let friends use DOS.           |

1. Compatibility advice (EIDE/Mitsumi)

   Whats the low down ho down on Enhanced IDE compatibility (particularly
with the SlackWare 2.1 pro release), possible, not possible, recommended,
not recomended?
Diamond Stealth 64/PCI 2MB VRAM, diamond cards are now fully supported
right? Is there a better accelerated PCI card that I should go with?

How about support for a SCSI 4x Mitsumi CD-ROM, what about the EIDE Mitsumi 4x?

Is the story with the CD that any SCSI will work with a supported controller?

Someone giving me advice suggested that I check about Enhanced IDE to make
sure it was supported. I am going to buy a system to run Linux pretty
soon, and really don't want to make the wrong Hardware choice.

Thanks alot to anybody who can help steer me in the right direction.

Happy Holiday's

email/post

Have a good one,

2. Elsa ErasorX

3. Upgrading EIDE and/or SCSI Advice from the Pros?

4. Driver for SCSI

5. EIDE advice?

6. (mchk) It is killing my system! HELP!

7. Recomm. for PCI EIDE ctrl wanted

8. dialback ppp connection from win 95

9. Wanted: Promise eide 4030plus disk accelerator

10. wanted: driver for Optics EIDE (ATAPI) CDROM

11. UMC 8672 VLB EIDE support wanted

12. wanted: Promise eide 4030plus cache controller card

13. EIDE CD-ROM + EIDE 1280 WD HD + all kinds of shit