Watch the gfx cards load?

Post by Louise Johnso » Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:09:03

Dear readers,

Does anyone know if it is possible to tell the gfx cards load?

Hugs,
Louise

Watch the gfx cards load?

Post by Steve Wolf » Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:09:41

Quote:> Dear readers,

> Does anyone know if it is possible to tell the gfx cards load?

  Stick your finger on the heat sink.  If you can hold it there for a while,
it's light.  If you pull it back and say "ow", it's moderate.  If you jerk,
scream, and dance, it's pretty high.   (Note that some recent GPU's don't
start to throttle themselves until they get to 135 C.  That's 275 F.)

steve

Watch the gfx cards load?

Post by Louise Johnso » Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:28:57

Quote:>   Stick your finger on the heat sink.  If you can hold it there for a while,
> it's light.  If you pull it back and say "ow", it's moderate.  If you jerk,
> scream, and dance, it's pretty high.   (Note that some recent GPU's don't
> start to throttle themselves until they get to 135 C.  That's 275 F.)

Are there really no other way?

Watch the gfx cards load?

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Sat, 30 Oct 2004 04:21:09

> Are there really no other way?

By definition, the load of a unix system is the number of processes in
running state (which competes about the CPU) plus the number of processes
waiting for disk. As the load number also includes processes waiting for
disk it really doesn't say how much the CPU(s) is working. The load
numbers presented by top and rup are different time averages. With a load
less than 1 you know that the CPU isn't working 100%, but a load bigger
than 1 could mean that the CPU or disk is working 100%.

With top you can see different percentage numbers for how the CPU is
working. Processes could be in user, system or idle.

Unfortunately, there are no such measurements for a GPU. However, if you
are running a graphics intensive application the bottleneck will be either
in the CPU or in the GPU. With top you can see if it is in the CPU
(0% idle), then you know that your GPU is working less than 100%. If top
says that your CPU has some idle time your GPU is probably running 100%.

regards Henrik
hc2(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers: