Printing in RH5.2:linux=10,Epson=0

Post by Gene Hesket » Mon, 10 May 1999 04:00:00

I've just spent a very frustrating afternoon trying to print a couple of
pages of my bank statement, saved by netraped v4.51, in a .ps format.

Calling up printtool, I made sure it all worked, at least when my Stylus

Attempted printing of a test postscript page from printtool gets me an
error because I'm set for a text only printer.  Refuses to print.

Selecting one of the 'other' filters only gets me a rangecheck error
message printed on the printer.  There are no 'Epson' choices in the
printtool filters menu.

So I went over to RedHat and picked up the newest printtool, and
rhs-printfilters, but they won't install either, the rhs-printfilters
claims it needs libc.so.6 or better, and thats there as a link to
libc_2.0.7.so.

So howintuncket do it get some Epson filters for printtool?  Are the
Epsonfolks on a rampage about linux or something.

Then, figuring that GS should be able to do it, I printed the tiger.ps
thing the other day.  But that suddenly can't be told where the printer
is, generating if it does anything, a file containing the screen output
gs kicks out.

Anybody know the syntax for doing that?

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip

         RC5-Moo! 22kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
--

1. Epson stylus 640 + linux/GS5.10: is this slow or what??

Hi all,

I've just connected an Epson Stylus 640 to my linux box (PII 400MHz)
running RH 5.1 (2.0.35) and Ghostscript 5.10 with the uniprint
driver and notice the following print speeds:

   1 full-page plain-TeX/dvips document w/ NO graphics:

   1 full-page unformatted text using 'cat file > /dev/lp1': 30 seconds

which seem fairly slow considering claimed PPM rates for this printer
(using supposedly inferior OSs and drivers).

Is this typical of what I should expect with linux/ghostscript?
If not, any suggestions for improvement would be greatly appreciated.

Note: based on past experience, "recompiling the kernel" seems
to be the default knee-jerk response to almost every problem
posted. If this is necessary, PLEASE provide some proof or at least
a pointer to explicit instructions, suitable for a newbie, on how to
do this.

Thanks,

Doug

2. bootstrap problem with slack

3. Linux RH5.0 , Win95 and Intel etherexpress PRO/10

4. HP LaserJet 4000

5. L 10 10 10 10...

6. telnet session

7. Epson Stylus 400 and gs5.10 stc.upp driver

8. Script to automate ftp?

9. Print printing epson LQ510

10. Can the Gimp Print plugin print to an Epson 1280 or 1290?

11. Stumped by Ghostscript (Netscape printing on Epson Stylus Pro w/lpr based printing)

12. RH5.1/Intel EtherExpress Pro 10+ ...Help!

13. RH5.0 Doesn't see EtherExpress Pro/10+, et al...