lilo -or- installing to a Mylex controller

lilo -or- installing to a Mylex controller

Post by Steve Wolf » Sun, 25 Feb 2001 06:44:52

  We're moving a few of our machines over to Mylex AcceleRAID 170's, and
I've run into a few very annoying problems... first, the RedHat 6.2
installation won't load the driver for the RAID card, and secondly, I can't
get LILO to get things working with the RAID controller.

   As far as installation, if I start the RedHat installation, it won't
install the DAC960 driver.  If I switch to another terminal and try to
insmod it, I get "device busy".  But, the DAC960 driver with the regular
kernel runs the array just fine.  How can I get RedHat 6.2 to install to the
array?

   Or.... right now, the machines are still booting from a single drive.
Try as I might, it seems like no amount of fiddling with "boot=", "disk=",
and "bios=" will get LILO to put the right boot stuff on the array.  One
combination got it to boot far enough to say "I have no root and I want to
scream....", and THEN a few seconds later, the DAC960 driver found the
logical drive.

  Arg.  What can I do better?

steve

Post by Cokey de Perci » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 01:12:22

>   We're moving a few of our machines over to Mylex AcceleRAID 170's, and
> I've run into a few very annoying problems... first, the RedHat 6.2
> installation won't load the driver for the RAID card, and secondly, I can't
> get LILO to get things working with the RAID controller.

>    As far as installation, if I start the RedHat installation, it won't
> install the DAC960 driver.  If I switch to another terminal and try to
> insmod it, I get "device busy".  But, the DAC960 driver with the regular
> kernel runs the array just fine.  How can I get RedHat 6.2 to install to the
> array?

>    Or.... right now, the machines are still booting from a single drive.
> Try as I might, it seems like no amount of fiddling with "boot=", "disk=",
> and "bios=" will get LILO to put the right boot stuff on the array.  One
> combination got it to boot far enough to say "I have no root and I want to
> scream....", and THEN a few seconds later, the DAC960 driver found the
> logical drive.

>   Arg.  What can I do better?

> steve

First, I haven't had any experience with the 170, but I am running a 250,
which should be similar, as the primary controller under RH6.2 and booting
off the RAID 5 logical drive.  Next, the driver in question is not a SCSI
driver, but a BLOCK driver; there is a difference.  Also, if you're booting
off a logical RAID drive, you must set up the logical drive before you try
to install and OS.

I don't remember exactly what I did  to get it to recognize the driver, but
I seem to remember that I had to use the 'custom' install and tell the install
that the primary controller was the a Mylex RAID controller.  If you haven't
used the 'custom' install, try that otherwise ???.  I know these controllers
are used quite a bit as they're very fast atleast partially due to the block
device driver, so you might try searching groups.google.com (old Deja).

As far as booting is concerned, I did run into a problem there.  The install
did not set Lilo up correctly; although this could have been due to the fact
that there was a secondary dual channel controller built into the motherboard
which had my swap devices and other stuff on it.  The DAC960 driver does not
use the std. /dev devices.  It uses /dev/rd/c?d?p? where c? is the DAC960
controller, d? is the logical device (drive) and p? is the partition.  So for
my system which has 1 Mylex controller = c0, 1 logical device = d0 and two
partitions = p1 & p2, the Lilo setup looks like this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2
        label=l242
        append="console=ttyS0,9600"
        read-only
        root=/dev/rd/c0d0p2

Because the logical drive is large, the 1st partition is 16M mounted on /boot
to get around the 1024 cyl boot problem and the 2nd partition is for everything
else (yes I know this isn't good general practice, but for what the machine is
used for, it's just fine!).  Hope that this helps.

Best

Cokey

F. 'Cokey' de Percin, DBA       Email:

lilo -or- installing to a Mylex controller

Post by John in S » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 06:37:00

If this controller is on a unique major drive number in /dev, then LILO will
require modification before it will recognize the controller.

One new controller was added to the latest version of LILO (21.7) by a
contributor.  Offhand, I don't remember which controller it was, but it is
major device 80(decimal).

--John

>  We're moving a few of our machines over to Mylex AcceleRAID 170's, and
>I've run into a few very annoying problems... first, the RedHat 6.2
>installation won't load the driver for the RAID card, and secondly, I can't
>get LILO to get things working with the RAID controller.

>   As far as installation, if I start the RedHat installation, it won't
>install the DAC960 driver.  If I switch to another terminal and try to
>insmod it, I get "device busy".  But, the DAC960 driver with the regular
>kernel runs the array just fine.  How can I get RedHat 6.2 to install to the
>array?

>   Or.... right now, the machines are still booting from a single drive.
>Try as I might, it seems like no amount of fiddling with "boot=", "disk=",
>and "bios=" will get LILO to put the right boot stuff on the array.  One
>combination got it to boot far enough to say "I have no root and I want to
>scream....", and THEN a few seconds later, the DAC960 driver found the
>logical drive.

>  Arg.  What can I do better?

>steve

LILO version 21.6.1 (16-Dec-2000) source at
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/boot/lilo
patches at ftp://brun.dyndns.org/pub/linux/lilo

lilo -or- installing to a Mylex controller

Post by Steve Wolf » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 02:42:39

Quote:> First, I haven't had any experience with the 170, but I am running a 250,
> which should be similar, as the primary controller under RH6.2 and booting
> off the RAID 5 logical drive.  Next, the driver in question is not a SCSI
> driver, but a BLOCK driver; there is a difference.

  Right.

Quote:> Also, if you're booting
> off a logical RAID drive, you must set up the logical drive before you try
> to install and OS.

  Right.

Quote:> I don't remember exactly what I did  to get it to recognize the driver,
but
> I seem to remember that I had to use the 'custom' install and tell the
install
> that the primary controller was the a Mylex RAID controller.  If you
haven't
> used the 'custom' install, try that otherwise ???.  I know these
controllers
> are used quite a bit as they're very fast atleast partially due to the
block
> device driver, so you might try searching groups.google.com (old Deja).

  I tried that, google's been screwing it up pretty thoroughly.  Some days I
can get a few weeks back, others only a few days.  It's too bad....

Quote:> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2
>         label=l242
>         append="console=ttyS0,9600"
>         read-only
>         root=/dev/rd/c0d0p2

  Right.  The problem is that I'm booting from /dev/sda, using it as root,
and trying to get lilo to make /dev/rd/c0d0p2 the new root, and it's giving
me fits. :  )  I'll try the "custom" install, and see how that goes.  Thanks
for the tips!

steve

lilo -or- installing to a Mylex controller

Post by Steve Wolf » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 02:43:17

Quote:> If this controller is on a unique major drive number in /dev, then LILO
will
> require modification before it will recognize the controller.

> One new controller was added to the latest version of LILO (21.7) by a
> contributor.  Offhand, I don't remember which controller it was, but it is
> major device 80(decimal).

  According to the docs, support for the Mylex card was added to LILO in
version 21, which is what I have.

steve

1. Installing redhat 7.1 on AlphaServer 1000A with Mylex DAC960 controller

Hi,

I have an old AlphaServer 1000A 4/266 with a Mylex DAC960
RAID-controller and want to install RedHat Linux 7.1 on it.

I can boot the system from CDROM and the installation programm starts,
but it doesn't load the dac960 module and therefore finds no available
block device for installation.
I tried with the 'noprobe' option and wanted to add the dac960 module
manually but it failed also.
Please help me!
Regards
Hans-Peter

2. Automountd problem

3. Installing 4.5 on IBM PC Server with Mylex controller

4. Solaris X86 and Iomega Zip drives

5. Problems installing Mylex RAID controller

6. USB minors

7. Install fails with Mylex RAID controller

8. RPM blues

9. Mylex DAC960 raid controller insmod install problem

10. Installing RedHat 6.1 w/ Mylex 1100 ExtremeRaid Controller (DAC1164)?

11. Mylex 930 SCSI Controller Support

12. RH6.1 with Mylex DAC960 Controller

13. RH 7.3: Mylex RAID controller (DAC960) performance problems