Crystal Pnp sound card driver

Post by Scalc » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I am running Red Hat 6 and am trying to find a driver to support my soundcard.  It is a Crystal Pnp fusion that is integrated into the motherboard of a Dell Dimension.  Can someone tell me where I may be able to find them?

    Thanks...

--
        Michael Maniscalco -> "The guy, behind the guy, behind the guy"
        Georgia Institute of Technology

Crystal Pnp sound card driver

Post by QuestionExchang » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I am running Red Hat 6 and am trying to find a driver to

support my soundcard.  It is a Crystal Pnp fusion that is
integrated into the motherboard of a Dell Dimension.  Can
someone tell me where I may be able to find them?

>     Thanks...

> --
>         Michael Maniscalco -> "The guy, behind the guy,
behind the guy"
>         Georgia Institute of Technology
>         Webpage: http://www.geocities.com/~scalpo

There's basically three places to look for Linux drivers:
A)
In the kernel sources (there's a driver for the Crystal CS423X
chips in the kernel sources)
B)
At ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, the next generation
sound drivers thats going to replace the ones in the kernel in
the future)
The projects homepage URL is:
http://www.alsa-project.org/
And a list of supported cards can be found at:
http://www.alsa-project.org/src/soundcards.html
C)
The commercial OSS drivers (which also include support) at:
http://www.4front-tech.com/
And a list of supported cards can be found at:
http://www.4front-tech.com/osshw.html
If your specific card can't be found at any of these places I
think you're unfortunately out of luck.
Hope this helps
//David

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=5174&cus...

Crystal Pnp sound card driver

Post by QuestionExchang » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I am running Red Hat 6 and am trying to find a driver to
support
> my soundcard.  It is a Crystal Pnp fusion that is integrated
> into the motherboard of a Dell Dimension.  Can someone tell
me
> where I may be able to find them?

Some kind of support for this cards is already present in
the official kernel series. The module name is cs4232.o.
1. First of all it's useful to try run sndconfig. This is the
   simplest way to get the soundcard work. But there are some
   situations when this utility cannot configure the card
   correctly.
   Note 1. Before trying sndconfig, it's better to make copies
      of /etc/conf.modules (and /etc/isapnp.conf, if exists).
   Note 2. Users of Dell computers with Crystal soundcards
recommend
      not to try initialize the card via isapnp, it seems
      to hang the system.
2. If sndconfig had not setup your card correctly, you have
   to configure it manually. Add these lines to
   /etc/conf.modules:
alias sound cs4232
options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
   Note. You also have to set the same values in the BIOS
      and disallow their automatic assignment.
   It's time to check the setup. Run (as root, of course)
      /etc/rc.d/init.d/sound start
   and try to play some file. If it works, make sound
   pseudo-daemon run at system startup:
      chkconfig sound on
3. As far as I know, this cards are much better supported
   in the commercial OSS (Open Sound System,
   http://www.4front-tech.com/oss.html). But this is not
   free software and thus this `setup method' has known
   disadvantages.
Quote:>     Thanks...

> --
> Michael Maniscalco -> "The guy, behind the guy, behind the

guy"
WBW,
Const

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=5178&cus...

> [...]

      and disallow their automatic assignment.
   It's time to check the setup. Run (as root, of course)
      /etc/rc.d/init.d/sound start
   and try to play some file. If it works, make sound
   pseudo-daemon run at system startup:
      chkconfig sound on
3. As far as I know, this cards are much better supported
   in the commercial OSS (Open Sound System,
   http://www.4front-tech.com/oss.html). But this is not
   free software and thus this `setup method' has known
   disadvantages.
Quote:>     Thanks...

> --
> Michael Maniscalco -> "The guy, behind the guy, behind the

guy"
WBW,
Const

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com

1. Crystal Pnp Sound Card

Hello -

  Has any list reader gotten this Sound Card to work with RedHat
  Linux Release 4.2.  So far I have tried the following -

       1).  Compiling Sound option in the kernel
       2).  Monkeying around with isapnptools shareware
       3).  Reading Sound-HOWTO file
       4).  Downloading OSS software from 4Front Technology

   Results so far = zilch.
   This is turning out to be as big of a pain in the butt as
   getting the PPP drivers up and running.  Are there back issues
   of Linux Journal that can solve the problem?

   I am running Linux on a Toshiba Tecra 720 Laptop.

   As always, words to the unwise will be greatly depreciated.

   TIM WEIL
   BTNA
   Network Engineer

2. LILO 'kernel too big' error

3. Crystal Sound Card Drivers

4. Problem to run dip

5. Linux, Sound and the Crystal 4232 sound driver

6. Problems with 4.1.3 Fileserver and Solaris 2.2 Clients...

7. Crystal Sound sound card

8. Diference between du and df in osr5.0.2

9. sound with Crystal sound card?

10. Crystal PNP Sound on IBM Thinkpad

11. PNP Sound/Crystal

12. ISA sound card SB16 PnP driver

13. Help with sound driver for Aztech card (AZT1023 PNP)