Redhat/Netscape Backspace Key Problem

Post by Kurt Rupprec » Sun, 30 Mar 1997 04:00:00

When using Netscape under Redhat 4.0 my backspace key does not
function correctly.  It deletes characters from in *front* of the
cursor (just like the delete key - hey, I already have one of those!)
instead of in back of the cursor as it should.  This is EXTREMELY
annoying!  I would appreciate any help that can be given in this
matter.  This does not occur in my Slackware (ver 3.1) install so I
have not dealt with this problem before.  Thanks again.
                                                       Kurt
"If you understand it, it's obsolete."

http://www.wolfe.net/~snout/

Post by Scott Gibso » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> When using Netscape under Redhat 4.0 my backspace key does not
> function correctly.  It deletes characters from in *front* of the
> cursor (just like the delete key - hey, I already have one of those!)
> instead of in back of the cursor as it should.  This is EXTREMELY
> annoying!  I would appreciate any help that can be given in this
> matter.  This does not occur in my Slackware (ver 3.1) install so I
> have not dealt with this problem before.  Thanks again.
>                                                        Kurt
> "If you understand it, it's obsolete."

> http://www.wolfe.net/~snout/

Just make a symbolic link such as:

ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xmodmap.std .Xmodmap

This will create the .Xmodmap file that will correctly setup your
backspace key.

Scott Gibson

1. Redhat/Netscape Backspace Key Problem

When using Netscape under Redhat 4.0 my backspace key does not
function correctly.  It deletes characters from in *front* of the
cursor (just like the delete key - hey, I already have one of those!)
instead of in back of the cursor as it should.  This is EXTREMELY
annoying!  I would appreciate any help that can be given in this
matter.  This does not occur in my Slackware (ver 3.1) install so I
have not dealt with this problem before.  Thanks again.
                                                       Kurt

"If you understand it, it's obsolete."

http://www.wolfe.net/~snout/

2. Capping the upload on a Linux IP Masquerading firewall

3. installing linux on 2nd HD

4. HELP: Boot & More than 528Meg in RH Linux 5.0?

5. newbie question: backspace key in Netscape is acting like the delete key

6. Reading IBM-labeled tapes on HP-UX

7. Netscape 2.0 - Keysyms problem (backspace and delete key problems)

8. : Netscape problem - Backspace key again

9. Backspace key problems under X (Redhat 6.0)

10. Redhat/Netscape Backspace Problem

11. Netscape/Telnet backspace problems with RedHat 3.0.3