Motherboard/CPU FAN controller

Post by Thomas Rasmusse » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 23:42:36

Hi...

I've been messing around with ajusting the voltage for my processor
fan, and I have been running with 5V on a big 12V fan, however it
seems that my processor gets a bit too hot, so I want to be able to
control it, and ajust it according to the temperature.

The question is if there are any people who has been trying the
same. My motherboard is a Epox MVP3G2 (VIA MVP, vt82c598 chip).

I have installed lm_sensors and have it monitoring my hardware. It is
currently sending an email if/when there is a warning, however I would
like to be able to control the voltage on the CPU FAN connector on the
motherboard. As standard it gives 12 V, but I would like to ajust it
to ie. 6-7 V, and then via lm_sensors set it to 12V if the temperature
gets too high. I have been searching google, and can't seem to find
any information on how to do it, neither anybody who has tried it.

I think that it is possible to ajust the voltage, because I think I
have seen a windows utility that does this, but can't find the source
code or information on how it should be working.

Thanks

Thomas

--
/"\  | "To *! The cause of - and solution to -
\ /  | all of life's problems!" -- Homer Simpson

Motherboard/CPU FAN controller

Post by Steve Wolf » Sun, 29 Apr 2001 01:47:49

Quote:> I've been messing around with ajusting the voltage for my processor
> fan, and I have been running with 5V on a big 12V fan, however it
> seems that my processor gets a bit too hot, so I want to be able to
> control it, and ajust it according to the temperature.

  5V on a 12V fan isn't the best way to go.  As dust accumulates and the
bearings degrade, 5V can be too low to get the fan started, meaning a cooked
processor.  : )  You can go with a 7-volt solution with some creative
wiring...

Quote:> I have installed lm_sensors and have it monitoring my hardware. It is
> currently sending an email if/when there is a warning, however I would
> like to be able to control the voltage on the CPU FAN connector on the
> motherboard. As standard it gives 12 V, but I would like to ajust it
> to ie. 6-7 V, and then via lm_sensors set it to 12V if the temperature
> gets too high. I have been searching google, and can't seem to find
> any information on how to do it, neither anybody who has tried it.

  Why not purchase one of the fans that already has the speed adjustment
built in?

steve

Motherboard/CPU FAN controller

Post by Thomas Rasmusse » Sun, 29 Apr 2001 19:15:37

 Steve>   5V on a 12V fan isn't the best way to go.  As dust
 Steve> accumulates and the bearings degrade, 5V can be too low to get
 Steve> the fan started, meaning a cooked processor.  : ) You can go
 Steve> with a 7-volt solution with some creative wiring...

Yeah I know that 5V isn't ideal, but at the time I build my computer I
didn't had the time nor components to make a creative wiring
circuit... and the fan I had started without problems at 5V (and still
does), it actually starts spinning around 3.5V

 Steve>   Why not purchase one of the fans that already has the speed
 Steve> adjustment built in?

Well where's the fun in that :-) I'm now considering building a
circuit that allows me to control the fan speed through a
parallel/serial/game port.

/Thomas
--
/"\  | "To *! The cause of - and solution to -
\ /  | all of life's problems!" -- Homer Simpson
 x   |
/ \ <-- (ASCII Ribbon Campain against html emails and postings!)

1. EPOX MVP3C-M motherboard - accessing CPU temperature/fan speed

Has anyone created any program, or probably better, a /proc entry, to read
temperature/fan speed information that this motherboard outputs?

There is a driver for a system like this, called lm78 available but that is
not the hardware monitor unit that is used - but (according to the specs at
Epox' website) a "Winbond W83781D".

The specs for that are fortunately freely downloadable from Winbond's site -
<URL:http://www.winbond.com.tw/produ/perso7.htm> and seem pretty complete.

I'd love to see fan speed and CPU temperature on 'top' next to load average
:)

If noone else has done any work on this, I plan on playing a bit with it -
unfortunately, I have not done any Linux kernel development however, nor do
I know much about accessing hardware and ports and such.

<URL:http://www.abandoned.org/drylock/>     <*>         (not speaking for) DDE

2. Weird iptables issue

3. BE6 CPU Fan - Fan Voltages

4. printing double-sided using ghostscript?

5. Dual CPU motherboard & onboard SCSI controller ?

6. X will not start

7. dual cpu motherboard for Red Hat Linux 6.2 on X86 cpu

8. FreeBSD 4.1 and encryption

9. Monitoring things like CPU temperature, fan speed, etc.

10. CPU fan for 21164PC

11. athlon bios reports cpu fan not running

12. CPU Fans

13. Cool CPU - no fan required?