1. System sounds work for root, not for user
I'm pretty much a Linux newbie and I'm having problems getting system
sounds to work in the user account (they work just fine in root, but
nowhere else). I got the CD player to work in the user account by
entering chmod 666 /dev/cdrom; have tried similar entries for
kaudioserver, kwmsound, etc. but have not had success. Have also issued
numerous chmod commands (as root, of course) for the
files/devices I thought might be involved (audio, audio1, sdb, sbpcd,
When I exit KDE (as user, not root) I have some messages on the screen
above the command prompt that read:
PID could not get read.
kaudioserver: Can't connect to the X Server.
kaudioserver: Audio system might not terminate at end of session.
Failed starting audio server!
I don't get these messages, and I don't have problems hearing system
sounds, when I'm logged in as root and running KDE that way.
System details: I'm running Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 (with KDE
1.1.2-13) on a Dell XPS133 (upgraded to 200 MHz with an evergreen add-on
CPU chip) with 64 MB of RAM, a 3.2 GB hd and a Rage IIC video card.
Sound card is a true SB16 w/ AWE32 upgrade.
Appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance to any gurus
familiar with this problem who can offer some guidance!
2. telnet Problem to localhost under SUSE 7.2
3. System sounds work in root, but not in user
4. locking problems in /var/mail
5. Sounds work in root, but not in user
6. Sending messages over SUNWatm driver
7. sound works as root but not normal user
8. ipmasqadm -> iptables question
9. No sound for users in Gnome, but Root works okay
10. Red Hat Linux 6--sound for root, not for users
11. Sound for root but not for user
12. How do I get PPP to work for a user, not just root?
13. Sound Not Always Working for Users