MO DRIVER LINUX HELP

Post by Toty » Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:00:00

MO DRIVER LINUX HELP

Post by Sid Boyc » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

        This is a post of a few days ago.....

Quote:>I need some help installing my new Fujitsu M5213A MO-Drive.
>While booting I always get the message:

>    sda : unsupported sector size 2048.

>Only the 640MB disks have 2048 bytes/sector, can't I use this
>disk size ???

>Does anybody know a trick or a kernel-patch that makes the
>scsi-driver work with this disk size ?

>Thanks for help.

There's a patch to fix that. If you use Kernel 2.0.30 the appropriate
patch
would be '2048-30.diff'. Hmm... I don't know where I got it from. If you
can't find it, I have the 2.0.30 patch here but I can't find the README.
The drive flies under Linux :-)
Mounting DOS-partitions can be a bit tricky since the DOS-drivers allow
several different formats and not all are supported by Linux.

Peter Steiner

        I checked around and couldn't find it, I looked in the kernel in fs.h
and it mentioned different block sizes, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 and 8192,
so I am hoping to test out my 230 Meg MO drive some time soon (kernel is
2.1.43), I have to make up a power lead for the MO, then I'll give it a
go. I'd like to tar/gzip my directories and store them on MO as backup.
Regards
--
... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(UK)...44-121 422 0375
                   -----------------------------------

MO DRIVER LINUX HELP

Post by Peter Stein » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>    I checked around and couldn't find it, I looked in the kernel in fs.h
>and it mentioned different block sizes, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 and 8192,
>so I am hoping to test out my 230 Meg MO drive some time soon (kernel is
>2.1.43), I have to make up a power lead for the MO, then I'll give it a
>go. I'd like to tar/gzip my directories and store them on MO as backup.
>Regards

I also checked around...

ftp://andante.jic.com/pub/scsi/attic/

there are patches for e2fs and msdos-fs but this is for 2.0.30

Why are you using such a new kernel?

Bye,

Peter Steiner
--
   _   x    ___

  \/>'~~~~//
    \_____/   signature V0.2 alpha

MO DRIVER LINUX HELP

Post by Sid Boyc » Sat, 19 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>         This is a post of a few days ago.....
> >I need some help installing my new Fujitsu M5213A MO-Drive.
> >While booting I always get the message:

> >    sda : unsupported sector size 2048.

> >Only the 640MB disks have 2048 bytes/sector, can't I use this
> >disk size ???

> >Does anybody know a trick or a kernel-patch that makes the
> >scsi-driver work with this disk size ?

> >Thanks for help.

> There's a patch to fix that. If you use Kernel 2.0.30 the appropriate
> patch
> would be '2048-30.diff'. Hmm... I don't know where I got it from. If you
> can't find it, I have the 2.0.30 patch here but I can't find the README.
> The drive flies under Linux :-)
> Mounting DOS-partitions can be a bit tricky since the DOS-drivers allow
> several different formats and not all are supported by Linux.

> Peter Steiner

>         I checked around and couldn't find it, I looked in the kernel in fs.h
> and it mentioned different block sizes, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 and 8192,
> so I am hoping to test out my 230 Meg MO drive some time soon (kernel is
> 2.1.43), I have to make up a power lead for the MO, then I'll give it a
> go. I'd like to tar/gzip my directories and store them on MO as backup.
> Regards

        I got mine going using fdisk version 1.10 and fsck version 1.10 ......
fsck -t ext2 -b 2048 /dev/sdb1 after that I was able to mount it  and
tar/gzip  /usr/src/linux to it. mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sdb1 222192 had to be
used as mke2fs and e2fsck didn't work.
        Later I found the patch to fdisk on linuxhq.com under unofficial
patches for 2.0.
Regards
--

Post by Sid Boyc » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> >       I checked around and couldn't find it, I looked in the kernel in fs.h
> >and it mentioned different block sizes, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 and 8192,
> >so I am hoping to test out my 230 Meg MO drive some time soon (kernel is
> >2.1.43), I have to make up a power lead for the MO, then I'll give it a
> >go. I'd like to tar/gzip my directories and store them on MO as backup.
> >Regards

> I also checked around...

> ftp://andante.jic.com/pub/scsi/attic/

> there are patches for e2fs and msdos-fs but this is for 2.0.30

> Why are you using such a new kernel?

> Bye,

> Peter Steiner
> --

        If you had checked me 5 minutes ago, I'd have had a good answer, but
it's gone now.
        Basically I like to keep a* of development and try different
things out, always with a back out route if I have problems (very rare).
Apart from NFS in 2.1.46, and I'm not using NFS at the moment, it all
works OK, including the stuff I need for work, like X3270 and Wabi for
WOrd6/EXCEL/PowerPoint etc. which comes at me most days. I've even
chanced wine on those jobs with good results. I also run as part of a
hamradio TCP/IP packet network, plus lots of other stuff like PCB
design.
Regards
--
... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(UK)...44-121 422 0375
                   -----------------------------------
Any opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily represent
 the opinions or policies of Amdahl Corporation.

MO DRIVER LINUX HELP

Post by Sven Goethe » Tue, 29 Jul 1997 04:00:00

--------------5A27BFC43D58B589453A60A4

hi,
i do have a mo 230 mb also

i do not have any problems with this device....

i just had problems by remove the media, so i made a little procedure
like the following. a also wrote a little program to do that.
if someone is interessting - its free - i will post it.

--
Sven Goethel

www   : http://www.bielefeld.netsurf.de:8080/~s_goethel
voice : 0521-321055, 089-15708469, 089-72223439 (work)

--------------5A27BFC43D58B589453A60A4

e2eject iversion 0.01 by Sven Goethel 02/26/1996

because of problems with removable scsi-media on ext2 filesystems
described later, i wrote an simple tool to umount, flush and eject
the media !!!

the problem i had appeared by unmounting, changing the media and
then mounting the new media. the directory of the new media was
identically with the first media, but of course it was not !!!!!
in my experience after flushing the filsystem-buffer with e2fsck
the directory of the new media was read !!!!
so here is everything i need in one function :
        umount
        flushing
        ejecting

if e2eject finds a scsi disk name like '[/dev/]sd[a-z]',
it will generate the generic scsi-diskname,
because unload/eject just works with generic-media !!!!!!

all functions will be called with the 'system' command like :

'unmount <device>'
'e2fsck -F <device>'
'unload <generic-device>'

i hope this will work ...
if somebody can fix my problem a better way, please respond.

sven goethel

--------------5A27BFC43D58B589453A60A4--

1. MO Driver Linux Help

Just some information from my experience.
I have and use an 230 meg MO drive from fujutsu
for backup and archiving and haven't had any problems.

My settings for it are as an removable media scsi-2. The only
ceavet (which I think is  a bug in the scsi driver but it
dosen't bother me so I haven't fixed it.) is that I must wait until
the drive spins up when putting a new disk in (in order to mount it etc)
or the scsi bus will hang the computer. It is also interisting to
note that I ONLY use the drive under Linux. I have no drivers for
DOS and will NOT buy windows 95 etc etc.

Leslie Donaldson
~r .sig
/----------------------------\ Current Contractor: Oxford International
|    Leslie F. Donaldson     | Current Customer  : Entergy Inc.
|    Computer Contractor     | Skills: Unix/OS9/VMS/Linux/SUN-OS/C/C++/assembly
| Have Computer will travel. | Curr   : http://www.cs.rose-hulman.edu/~donaldlf

Goth Code V1.1: GoCS$$ TYg(T6,T9) B11Bk!^1 C6b-- P0(1,7) M+ a24 n--- b++:+
                H6'11" g m---- w+ r+++ D--~!% h+ s10 k+++ R-- Ssw LusCA++

2. How Accurate Are Online Bandwidth Measurement Tools

3. : mo buishet "MO MONEY MO MONEY MO MONEY"

4. Create ext2 Partition from Windows

5. Fail to mount MO Drive with 640M MO disk

6. Problem with header files with GCC

7. How can I eject a MO-disk from Fujitsu MO-drive?

8. Veritas woes

9. Adaptec 2842VL + IBM MO drive: MO drive error!

10. Linux read 2048bytes/sector MO disk ?? Help!!

11. Reading Linux 230 MOs on a Fujitsu IDE Dynamo....please help.