xscreensaver 3d demos not working with nvidia ti4200

xscreensaver 3d demos not working with nvidia ti4200

Post by Matt Garma » Mon, 19 May 2003 12:05:06

Hello.  I just upgraded the motherboard, cpu and video card in my
system.  Everything appears to be working fine, except I cannot get the
3D screensavers in the xscreensaver package to work (e.g. atlantis,
gears).  Whenever I try to run them, I get the following message:

xscreensaver: DEMO 127 ClientMessage received.
xscreensaver: demoing 127 at Sat May 17 21:59:14 2003.
xscreensaver: 0: grabbing keyboard on 0xac... GrabSuccess.
xscreensaver: 0: grabbing mouse on 0xac... GrabSuccess.
xscreensaver: 0: visual 0x21 (TrueColor,   depth: 24, cmap: 256)
xscreensaver: 0: saver window is 0x1400008.
xscreensaver: 0: destroyed old saver window 0x1400001.
xscreensaver: limited pid 1055 address space to 50M.
xscreensaver: 0: spawning "atlantis -root" in pid 1055.
    hint: there may be a ulimit restricting the amount of
    virtual memory available to XFree86. It may be a good
    idea to check your startup scripts for something like

    ulimit -v <number>

    and either boost this value or remove the line.
atlantis: couldn't create GL context for visual 0x21.
xscreensaver: 0: child pid 1055 (atlantis) exited abnormally (code 1).
xscreensaver: unblanking screen at Sat May 17 21:59:16 2003.
xscreensaver: 0: ungrabbing mouse (was 0xac).
xscreensaver: 0: ungrabbing keyboard (was 0xac).
xscreensaver: error: XF86MiscSetGrabKeysState returned MiscExtGrabStateAlready

As far as I can tell, I'm not setting any kind of ulimit.  There
certainly shouldn't be any ram problems---I have one gig of memory
installed.  The video card is an Asus GeForce4 ti4200.  I have installed
the nvidia video drivers.  Also, the "glxgears" test program works fine.

Anyone have any ideas what's going wrong here?

Thanks!
Matt

--

The given email address is invalid.  Replace the string
"bogus" with "net" to obtain my correct email address.

xscreensaver 3d demos not working with nvidia ti4200

Post by Thomas Zaji » Mon, 19 May 2003 19:42:47

Quote:> [ xscreensaver problems ]

> xscreensaver: limited pid 1055 address space to 50M.

                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:> xscreensaver: 0: spawning "atlantis -root" in pid 1055.
>     hint: there may be a ulimit restricting the amount of
>     virtual memory available to XFree86. It may be a good
>     idea to check your startup scripts for something like

>     ulimit -v <number>

>     and either boost this value or remove the line.
> atlantis: couldn't create GL context for visual 0x21.
> [...]
> Anyone have any ideas what's going wrong here?

Try adding the following line to your ~/.xscreensaver file (or modify
it, if it already exists - it'll probably say "50"):

| memoryLimit:    0

HTH,
Thomas
--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=

-  "It is not easy to cut through a human head with a hacksaw."  (M. C.)  -
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=

Post by Matt Garma » Tue, 20 May 2003 00:02:31

> > [ xscreensaver problems ]

> > xscreensaver: limited pid 1055 address space to 50M.
>  Try adding the following line to your ~/.xscreensaver file (or modify
>  it, if it already exists - it'll probably say "50"):

> | memoryLimit:    0

Yup, that fixed it!  Thank you.  These are the kind of fixes I
like---simple :)

The only thing I don't understand, though, is how many of those 3d
screensavers *used* to work with the same xscreensaver config file with
my old video card (Matrox g450).  I.e., I kept the same hard drive (no
re-installs) during the motherboard+processor+video card upgrade.

Thanks again!
Matt

--

The given email address is invalid.  Replace the string
"bogus" with "net" to obtain my correct email address.
Down with spam!

1. Abit Siluro GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB gfx card Not working

I have an Abit Siluro GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB graphics card which works fine
under Window$, but simply doesnt work in Mandrake 9.1, and RedHat 9. I
choose the Geforce4 generic driver in Mandrake setup (in RH9 it does that
automatically) and as soon as it tries to go into GUI mode, all I get is a
blank screen. I dont think its to do with the LCD screen ive got, since RH9
correctly finds it (ViewSonic VX700-2, using DVI). So im stuck with an well
expensive gfx card that can only run in txt mode! Does anyone else have the
same gfx card and the same problem?

When I install Mandrake 8.2 which doesnt even know what GF4 is, the GUI runs
fine, albeit seems a little sluggish, so it probably uses some default VGA
driver. Ive tried the nVidia site and the driver there, but it gives the
same blank screen.

Im a linux newbie, if Ive used some incorrect linux terminology please
correct me, and if you'd make your replies less like linux man pages (which
i find utterly unintelligible) that would be greatly appreciated! thanx

2. Kernel panics on raw I/O stress test

3. Slackware and NVidia GeForce4 Ti4200

4. viewing user/password directory

5. svgalib's 3d demo doesn't work anymore

6. Ports Perl 5.6 and 5.8 don't play nicely together

7. X console lockup when trying out some of the demo of xscreensaver-2.34-1

8. Help! Floppy disc driver

9. Choice: STB 8MB NVidia 3D AGP or ATI XPert 8MB 2X AGP 3D Video?

10. xscreensaver not working

11. SunVideo demos, xil, rtvc etc on SS5 with Sol2.4 not working

12. Accel-X demo not working