Modems and RPI and Linux, Oh My!

Post by Ray Kam » Tue, 04 Apr 1995 04:00:00

What is the problem with using Linux and an RPI modem?  I haven't
seen any problems reported in any of the FAQs.  However, I have
seen some discussion on the net.

Thanks

RK

Post by Christian Weisgerb » Mon, 10 Apr 1995 04:00:00

> What is the problem with using Linux and an RPI modem?  I haven't
> seen any problems reported in any of the FAQs.  However, I have
> seen some discussion on the net.

Nothing in particular. "RPI" stand for Rockwell Protocol Interface. RPI
modems don't implement V.42/MNP5/V.42bis themselves but only offer a
special interface that allows full emulation by appropriate drivers.
Rockwell themselves consider this such a bad idea that they don't make
the RPI specs public, thus avoiding widespread support of RPI. There are
a few commercial DOS/Windows communication programs out there that can
make use of RPI, but of course none that run on operating systems, and
of course no source.

You can use an RPI modem with Linux as a dumb modem without error
control or compression. Of course, a modem faster than, say, V.22bis
(2400bps) without error control is pretty much unuseable.

There's really no particular problem with RPI modems and Linux. You
should *always* avoid RPI like the plague.

--

           RNInet e.V. -- IP fr Rhein-Neckar und Vorderpfalz.