printer not responding - i86 computer

Post by Tony Wallac » Sat, 07 Jul 2001 13:55:41

I have been trying to set up my computer in linux but I cannot get the
printer port to be recognised.  I checked the documentation for MAKEDEV and
my parallel port is lp1 (as set up in CMOS).  kadzu does not help.  If I try
to write to /dev/lp1 I get a "no such device".  When I try through a gui
applet I get an error for each lp port.

The printer does work in dos, so nothing wrong there.

I do not know what to try next.  Please help if you can.  Linux version is
6.2.  Processor is intel Pentium 133.

Post by Rhakio » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 08:38:44

> I have been trying to set up my computer in linux but I cannot get the
> printer port to be recognised.  I checked the documentation for MAKEDEV
> and my parallel port is lp1 (as set up in CMOS).  kadzu does not help.
> If I try to write to /dev/lp1 I get a "no such device".  When I try
> through a gui applet I get an error for each lp port.

> The printer does work in dos, so nothing wrong there.

> I do not know what to try next.  Please help if you can.  Linux version
> is 6.2.  Processor is intel Pentium 133.

This may be nonsense, but isn't the default first parallel port in linux
usually /dev/lp0. Whenever I have  set up a printer it has been and I
don't see what difference the CMOS settings make, unless this is an added
parallel port on a PCI card.
By the way, what on earth in Linux 6.2?
--
Bye, Rhakios

printer not responding - i86 computer

Post by Roger Lev » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 22:11:31

Thank you for your reply. I am responding from a friends computer.

 Yes the first printer port is lp0, but my printer port is set to the
address of lp1 (I think 27F, I am not at my computer now).

My version of linux is RedHat 6.1   I will try loading an older version of
RedHat as at least it recognised the printer.

> > I have been trying to set up my computer in linux but I cannot get the
> > printer port to be recognised.  I checked the documentation for MAKEDEV
> > and my parallel port is lp1 (as set up in CMOS).  kadzu does not help.
> > If I try to write to /dev/lp1 I get a "no such device".  When I try
> > through a gui applet I get an error for each lp port.

> > The printer does work in dos, so nothing wrong there.

> > I do not know what to try next.  Please help if you can.  Linux version
> > is 6.2.  Processor is intel Pentium 133.

> This may be nonsense, but isn't the default first parallel port in linux
> usually /dev/lp0. Whenever I have  set up a printer it has been and I
> don't see what difference the CMOS settings make, unless this is an added
> parallel port on a PCI card.
> By the way, what on earth in Linux 6.2?
> --
> Bye, Rhakios

printer not responding - i86 computer

Post by J. Baribea » Mon, 09 Jul 2001 02:17:27

As root try > echo "hope this works!" > /dev/lp0
or /dev/lp1  with the printer on and see if the printer responds.

I had to add this line to the lilo.conf file with my upgrade to 2.4.4

append = 'parport=0x3bc, auto lp=parport0"
You may need to modify this for another port , as a guess "append
parport=0x378, auto lp=parport1"

Hope this helps,

Jean

Post by Steve Kirkendal » Mon, 09 Jul 2001 02:55:27

> Thank you for your reply. I am responding from a friends computer.

>  Yes the first printer port is lp0, but my printer port is set to the
> address of lp1 (I think 27F, I am not at my computer now).

> My version of linux is RedHat 6.1   I will try loading an older version of
> RedHat as at least it recognised the printer.

> > > I have been trying to set up my computer in linux but I cannot get the
> > > printer port to be recognised.  I checked the documentation for MAKEDEV
> > > and my parallel port is lp1 (as set up in CMOS).  kadzu does not help.
> > > If I try to write to /dev/lp1 I get a "no such device".  When I try
> > > through a gui applet I get an error for each lp port.

> > This may be nonsense, but isn't the default first parallel port in linux
> > usually /dev/lp0. Whenever I have  set up a printer it has been and I
> > don't see what difference the CMOS settings make, unless this is an added
> > parallel port on a PCI card.
> > By the way, what on earth in Linux 6.2?

You may need to modify the /etc/modules.conf file, to tell the parallel
port driver to support multiple ports.  Search for a line that looks
like this...

        options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=none

... and change it to...

        options parport_pc io=0x378,0x278 irq=none,none

By the way, sequences of newsgroup messages like this are easier to read if
you add your responses to the bottom, not the top.

1. remote printer not responding

i setup on solaris7 a queue pointing to an existing Xerox printer with
ip address; she prints postscript by default
the print job is just text (/etc/hosts file)
job sits in queue no action
wondering what the #$%^%! i should check next, since all layers seem to
be functioning properly

here is the lpstat -t output; what signal issues 'waiting'?

     xfax12 accepting requests since Fri Jun 25 08:58:36 EDT 1999
     ti1 accepting requests since Jun 25 15:51 1999
     printer xfax12 waiting for auto-retry. available.
             exec exit fault

thanks!
Joe

--

access to a news server; thanks!
Disclaimer: opinions expressed my own and not representative of my employers

2. ALPS GlidePoint

3. USB Printer not responding.

4. need help configuring Linux as a Router

5. Printer Not Responding to Input

6. INSTANT TECH CD-Rom -- cannot mount ! Please help

7. printer fred faulted ; server fred not responding

8. Q: UMSDOS & dead linux, help needed.

9. Help: Remote printer: System Not Responding

10. Printer not responding

11. Printing to JetDirect Printer not responding

12. Setting up a Network Printer 2.6 i86

13. Sharing printer between Linux computer and Win 3.11 or Win95 computer?