cardinal modem

Post by Adam » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have an internal Cardinal MVPM34I isa modem.  I have researched and
found that it is ocmpatible with LINUX, however all of my attempts to use
isapnptools have failed.  When in windows my tube says that my modem is on
COMM3 and using IRQ9.  I have tried numerous methods but am at my wits end
here.  I don't even know if windows reported my comm and irq addresses
correctly.  Is there a way to querey my isa slots to find out where my
modem is plugged in.  I have pnp turned of on my bios.  I am new to LINUX
and wish to get better, an anyone e-mail me a step by step mehod of how to
get this thing working.  (in laymans terms if possible)

Thanks,
Adam

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

cardinal modem

Post by Nick Hedber » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I have an internal Cardinal MVPM34I isa modem.  I have researched and
> found that it is ocmpatible with LINUX, however all of my attempts to use
> isapnptools have failed.  When in windows my tube says that my modem is on
> COMM3 and using IRQ9.  I have tried numerous methods but am at my wits end
> here.  I don't even know if windows reported my comm and irq addresses
> correctly.  Is there a way to querey my isa slots to find out where my
> modem is plugged in.  I have pnp turned of on my bios.  I am new to LINUX
> and wish to get better, an anyone e-mail me a step by step mehod of how to
> get this thing working.  (in laymans terms if possible)

> Thanks,
> Adam

>                    http://www.searchlinux.com

keep in mind that com ports in windows are one lower in linux. i.e. comm 3 =>
cua2 or tty2 depending on the version of linux.

--
"I love me" -  Nick Hedberg

cardinal modem

Post by Gunter Ohrne » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> > COMM3 and using IRQ9.  I have tried numerous methods but am at my wits end
> keep in mind that com ports in windows are one lower in linux. i.e. comm 3 =>
> cua2 or tty2 depending on the version of linux.

ttyS2
   _

  Gunter Ohrner

--
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- http://www.scheibenwelt.de/ -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
"Luck is my middle name," said Rincewind, indistinctly. "Mind you, my

cardinal modem

Post by Jamie Tomlinso » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi Adam,

I have just managed to get my modem working by doing the following:

First read the modem, pnp, and serial how-to's to get some background.

In a terminal window type "setserial -g /dev/ttyS2" this will tell you
what the device driver thinks the settings are for com3 (ttyS2).

Still in a terminal type "pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf" this will create a
useable config file for isapnptools to use.  At this point it would be
useful to read man isapnp, man pnpdump, man isapnp.conf.

Read through the file created (isapnp.conf) and in an editor of your
choice remove the # to comment back the lines for the io settings and
irq settings (try the ones listed in windoze it worked for me).  These
will be lines with settings in brackets not the wordy lines above them.
Also don't forget to uncomment the ACT Y line at the end.

Next back in the terminal type "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf"
This should show a few lines and at the end have some activated
successfully comment.  If not read the error message and see if you can
see something wrong with the config file.

Once this is done type this in the terminal screen:
        "setserial /dev/ttyS2 port 0x02f8 irq 3 autoconfig"
Change port irq as appropriate.

Once this accepts type "setserial -g /dev/ttyS2"
this should print a line back with settings requested along with a
setting for uart.  If this works then you should be able to use kppp to
query the modem.  I am not sure of other ways to check the modem.
If the query works then the next biggie will be connecting to your ISP.

Good Luck,

Jamie T.

> I have an internal Cardinal MVPM34I isa modem.  I have researched and
> found that it is ocmpatible with LINUX, however all of my attempts to use
> isapnptools have failed.  When in windows my tube says that my modem is on
> COMM3 and using IRQ9.  I have tried numerous methods but am at my wits end
> here.  I don't even know if windows reported my comm and irq addresses
> correctly.  Is there a way to querey my isa slots to find out where my
> modem is plugged in.  I have pnp turned of on my bios.  I am new to LINUX
> and wish to get better, an anyone e-mail me a step by step mehod of how to
> get this thing working.  (in laymans terms if possible)

> Thanks,
> Adam

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com

1. Anybody using Cardinal modems to dial-in ?

    I am trying to get my modem to accept incoming calls, but to no avail.
I have a Cardinal 9600 V.42 modem.  I can dial-out with no problem, and the
modem will answer when the line rings.  I am calling from my laptop (w/
2400 Hayes comp.) but after it answers, nothing happens.  I don't even get
a CONNECT 2400 message.  I have read the FAQ's & HOWTO & man pages, but
have had no luck. I am using uugetty and have set everything as per the
HOWTO documnent.

    If somebody could send me their gettydefs, default/uugetty.ttyS0 files,
and the appropriate inittab line, I wuld appreciate it.

    What else do I need to know ?

Truly fustrated
Bob Willer

2. X11 socket problem

3. cardinal modem and isapnp

4. copy and paste with mouse problems

5. Will my Cardinal modem work?

6. tcp_wrappers and FreeBSD 3.4 (need help!)

7. Cardinal modem

8. P/S 2 Mouse with XFree86

9. Cardinal modem question?

10. Supra 33.6i Cardinal modem...anyone?

11. Setting up a Cardinal modem

12. Cardinal modem(int.)& LINUX ?

13. isapnp with PNP Cardinal modem (MVP288IV)