Will a Qlogic SCSI controller work?

Post by Brian Bebe » Thu, 09 Mar 1995 12:42:35

Is a Qlogic PCI SCSI controller supported? I just bought a system from
a local outfit and they originally said I would get a Buslogic controller.
Instead I got a DTC VLB controller. I complained and they replaced it,
but when I got it home, it still wasn't a Buslogic, but a Qlogic (close
enough for Windows I guess) FAST!SCSI PCI controller. Is this a supported
card or should I complain again?

Also, I paid for a Diamond Stealth with VRAM and got a Stealth with
DRAM the first time. The second time I got VRAM but in a Diamond Viper.
Is the Viper supported as well as the Stealth or should I complain about
that too (especially if I'm going to complain about the controller anyway).
I'm getting rather frustrated. Quick replies will be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian Bebeau                    |  IBS at AT&T Network Systems

1. How well does Qlogic PCI SCSI controller work with Linux?

I'm thinking about getting a PCI Qlogic SCSI controller (the fast/wide
version).  I need to know whether or not it supports multiple
outstanding commands, connect/disconnect (Does it let one SCSI device,
say a tape drive, detach from the bus while another device, say a hard
drive, is operating?  I've heard this used to be a *big* problem on
the NCR SCSI adapters), and does it negotiate for a wide transfer
(in other words, does the driver take full advantage of its
capabilities?)???  I grabbed the readme file for the Qlogic kernel
patch off of sunsite.unc.edu and from what I've been able to
determine the Qlogic driver can do all of the things I just
mentioned.  So, basically, I'd just like to get someone's
informed opinion on how well this driver works and how stable
it is.  I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that the patch was supposed
to be applied to version 1.2.13 of the kernel.  Is this correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...I'm not a hardware guru
so I could really use some assistance.  BTW, what kind of
transfer rate could one typically get with this card and how
does it compare with fast/wide controllers made by NCR,
Adaptec, and Buslogic?  My understanding is that this
controller has a RISC processor on-board which I presume
would offload a lot of I/O chores from the system CPU
and thus increase throughput and lessen CPU utilization.
BTW, Insight sells this adapter for $289 (US dollars).
Is this a good price for one of these?

---Scott

P.S., is there a kernel image available that *already* has
support for this driver?  I'd really like to be able to
boot-up with a kernel that will automatically recognize
this controller...this will save me the trouble of
having to boot-up on a different controller and then
making a kernel that has Qlogic support in it.

2. QT library RPM?

3. Driver for Qlogic IQ10 Fast SCSI controller...

4. 3com Homeconnect Phoneline

5. Linux with QLogic SCSI disk controller

6. Office Suites for Linux

7. QLogic PCI Scsi Controller

8. IFUP not working

9. Qlogic VLB SCSI controller

10. QLogic SCSI Controller support

11. HELP! Qlogic SCSI controller support

12. Bootdisk fails on Qlogic Fast!SCSI VLB controller

13. Qlogic SCSI controller setup - RedHat