feasability - mirror ide + raid-5 scsi (sw raid)

feasability - mirror ide + raid-5 scsi (sw raid)

Post by mrl.. » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

hey,

 Here's one for the hardware experts: Using software raid, mirror 2-ide
drives for low-volatility files (/, /usr, /old-cycled-log-files) and
software raid-5 (or mirror) 2 or more scsi drives for heavy access files
(/html, /cgi-bin, /sqldatabase, /var)?

 Pros?
 Cons?

 Thanks for the input.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Linux software RAID mirroring eq. HPT370 RAID mirroring ?

I am trying to install linux (Mandrake 8.0) on a PC (KT7-RAID motherboard)
as a second system for Windows 98. I am using two RAID mirrored disks for
various data and Linux / windows 98 resides on a separate ATA 66 disk on a
"normal" ide controler.
I can boot perfectly both systems, but the problem is that the two mirrored
FAT32 disks appeares as two separate normal disks under Linux and it's
possible to write independently on the two disks ... unsyncing the mirror.

I have a few questions about it :
1) Do i need to install the HPT370 linux patch (even if it doesn't supporte
the mirroring fonction) or is it already included in the Mandrake 8.0 kernel
?

2) If i can't solve this problem, can i use a software RAID mirror under
linux between the two disks that are mirrored with HPT370 under Windows 98
(i.e. "Hardware HPT370" mirroring and Linux Software mirroring are
compatible ?).

3) What is the VT82C686x bug ? Does it apply to the VT82C686A ship ? How can
it be solve ? Is there other well known bugs of Linux using the KT7-RAID
board ?

Thanks a lot for your help, and please send me a copy of your answers via

2. tun not working

3. soft ide raid (5?) vs. SCSI raid

4. rute.doc

5. IDE RAID vs. SCSI RAID

6. Solaris Version

7. Mounting a RAID-0 partition on an IDE-SCSI/RAID Promise Lite controller

8. 1600x1200 resolution? how?

9. IDE RAID - FastTrak/66 (ATA/IDE - PCI RAID CONTROLLER)

10. HW RAID vs SW RAID

11. Reconfiguring one SW-RAID when other RAIDs are running

12. Rawio and mirroring (sw raid)