Using Zenon?

Post by Sean Fulto » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I'm considering buying a system from Zenon Technology and was just
wondering if anyone has has set up Linux on a machine from Zenon,
how it works, are Zenon systems reliable, do they perform well..etc...?

Thanks in advance.

Sean Fulton

Using Zenon?

Post by Robert Schaef » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: I'm considering buying a system from Zenon Technology and was just
: wondering if anyone has has set up Linux on a machine from Zenon,
: how it works, are Zenon systems reliable, do they perform well..etc...?

Well, I bought my computer (486/33 EISA/VLB) from them several years ago,
and its worked pretty good for me so far.  Only problem I've had is with
the SCSI.  It came with an intergrated controller, SCSI,IDE,FDD,2S1P1G all
on one VLB card, which was supposed to be 100% Adaptec compatable.  It was
only about 90% compatable. I had to pass an 'append=' to get it to see the
SCSI drive.  After I got it to recognize the HDD, I still had trouble with
HDD access under linux, lockups requiring reset if I tried to do too much
disk IO at once.  It worked fine under DOS/Windoze though.  Anyway, when I
switched to linux for real, I got an IDE drive (needed the space anyway!)
and haven't had any trouble since then, except for when I plugged the
floppy cable in backwards ^_^

Anyone have any idea why the SCSI driver doesn't work?  I'm assuming it's
the driver, since it works OK under DOS, but I haven't had the time or
inclination to look at it so see what's wrong.  I can do small reads and
writes to it, but anything big will lock up the computer HARD.

Rob

Using Zenon?

Post by Steve Meisne » Mon, 22 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> : I'm considering buying a system from Zenon Technology and was just
> : wondering if anyone has has set up Linux on a machine from Zenon,
> : how it works, are Zenon systems reliable, do they perform well..etc...?

> Well, I bought my computer (486/33 EISA/VLB) from them several years ago,
> and its worked pretty good for me so far.  Only problem I've had is with
> the SCSI.  It came with an intergrated controller, SCSI,IDE,FDD,2S1P1G all
> on one VLB card, which was supposed to be 100% Adaptec compatable.  It was
snipp...
> Anyone have any idea why the SCSI driver doesn't work?  I'm assuming it's
> the driver, since it works OK under DOS, but I haven't had the time or
> inclination to look at it so see what's wrong.  I can do small reads and
> writes to it, but anything big will lock up the computer HARD.

> Rob

I got my computer from Zenon in July of 1993.  Sounds like the QACCESS
VLB SCSI
card got you too.  They had a bug in the BIOS and in order to upgrade,
you need
to have board Rev. 1.1.  Anyway, I didn't bother, just bought an Adaptec
2724.
BTW, my dad's computer purchased from Zenon in December, 1994 has no
troubles
with Linux (Intel MB, P90, AHA2940W).

--

http://www.cris.com/~Smeisner