UPS w/ a USB port? Newbie post

Post by Eastma » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 02:28:03

Hi Guys,

I had gone up to APC's website and found good documentation /download areas
for UPS Pro/etc.  and *serial* connections for Linux but I found nothing up
there for a USB connected UPS using the Powerchute software avail for Linux.

I would rather use my serial port for ease of modem install/config rather
than a UPS.

Are there any recommendations in the house?

Maybe I should ask you this; Do most of you even use a UPS on your machine?

Tim Eastman

UPS w/ a USB port? Newbie post

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 05:38:13

> Maybe I should ask you this; Do most of you even use a UPS on your
> machine?

At home I have a simple UPS connected to my main macine and my file
server. This UPS doesn't have any serial port telling the machines when
it is time to shut down. The file server had an uptime of more than 3
years when I mistakenly blamed it for not answering ping. A reboot didn't
help as a network cable was broken.

Having an UPS for a home system like this is overkill, at least here in
sweden where we might lose power maybe once or twice a year.

At work I have a UPS with a serial connection for a SUN file server and a
Linux NIS server. This might be more motivated as a lot of machines
depend on these servers and loss of power otherwise would cause a lot
of fsck on the file server.

If you need an UPS it might be because you have an important server or
because there is a high risk of losing power. Depending on your
situation, it might be enough to use a journaling file system instead of
buying an UPS.

regards Henrik
Henrik.Carlqvist(at)2.sbbs.se Examples of addresses which go to others:

1. APC USB ups, Back-UPS ES series, 2.5.68

(Please cc: me on reply)

I'm wanting to get this new toy up and running.  I've installed apcupsd,
but it doesn't want to work well with my kernel (2.5.68) or somewhat.

When apcupsd tries to open the hiddev, open() gets an ENODEV.  Is
apcupsd doing something wrong or is 2.5.68 doing something wrong?

~# dmesg
hub 1-0:0: debounce: port 1: delay 100ms stable 4 status 0x301
hub 1-0:0: new USB device on port 1, assigned address 4
usb 1-1: new device strings: Mfr=3, Product=1, SerialNumber=2
usb 1-1: Product: Back-UPS ES 350 FW:800.e3.D USB FW:e3
usb 1-1: Manufacturer: APC
usb 1-1: SerialNumber: AB0238241677
usb 1-1: usb_new_device - registering interface 1-1:0
hid 1-1:0: usb_device_probe
hid 1-1:0: usb_device_probe - got id
drivers/usb/core/file.c: asking for 1 minors, starting at 96
drivers/usb/core/file.c: found a minor chunk free, starting at 96
hiddev96: USB HID v1.10 Device [APC Back-UPS ES 350 FW:800.e3.D USB
FW:e3] on usb-00:07.2-1

~# ls -l /dev/usb/hid
total 0
crw-r--r--    1 root     root     180, 192 Dec 31  1969 hiddev96
crw-r--r--    1 root     root     180, 193 Dec 31  1969 hiddev97

~# strace -f apcupsd (trimmed)
[...]
open("/dev/usb/hid/hiddev95", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
open("/dev/usb/hid/hiddev96", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENODEV (No such device)
open("/dev/usb/hid/hiddev97", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENODEV (No such device)
open("/dev/usb/hid/hiddev98", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
write(2, "Couldn\'t find UPS device or no p"..., 43Couldn't find UPS
device or no permission.
) = 43
_exit(1)                                = ?

ref: http://www.sibbald.com/apcupsd/manual/usb.html
apcupsd version: 3.10.5
Linux kernel: 2.5.68

David
p.s. apcupsd needs patched to handle hiddev from 96 on (minor allocated by kernel)

-

2. Are +/-hsync and +/-vsync parameters useless?

3. Newbie-- UPS on printer port?

4. licq setup

5. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

6. Complete Fortran 77 compiler for Linux

7. USB port adapter -> Multi USB ports existing ? Extending number of USB ports possible ?

8. Melding Ports?

9. SuSE on Mac/Help with configuring Laserprinter, USB ports and USB mouse

10. connecting two machine using usb port and usb hub

11. Control USB port power on USB hub

12. the patches to ups debugger that Rick Faith posted

13. Initd ignores UPS signals (workaround included in post)