installing RedHat 5.2 on big (10GB) drive

Post by Bradley M Kerya » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> > >The RedHat 5.2 install doesn't seem to be able to recognize drives larger
> > >than 8.4GB.  I ran Partition Magic from DOS and setup Linux ext2 and
> > >Linux swap partitions.  After I boot to the RedHat 5.2 disks, RedHat
> > >install sees the ext2 partition size as "-1500MB" when it should be
> > >1500MB.  Any hints?

> > Look in your BIOS for the cyl,head,sector info. Then pass it to the kernel
> > on the syslinux or LILO boot line.

> > For example, for a 8.4gb IBM IDE to install off the Red Hat install disk, I
> > type:

> >   linux hda=1027,255,63

> > and voila! when it boots up, Linux sees it the proper size and everything!

Another fix for this is to use the "expert" mode in fdisk to specify the
correct number of cylinders. I haven't tried this with the Redhat
installer, but it worked fine on a Seagate ST39140A 9.1GB IDE (ooh, I got
my extra 500MB or so :)

Also, Linux 2.2.x has better IDE geometry detection, so you shouldn't even
need to specify the geometry in the future.

        Brad

1. installing RedHat 5.2 on big (10GB) drive

The RedHat 5.2 install doesn't seem to be able to recognize drives larger
than 8.4GB.  I ran Partition Magic from DOS and setup Linux ext2 and
Linux swap partitions.  After I boot to the RedHat 5.2 disks, RedHat
install sees the ext2 partition size as "-1500MB" when it should be
1500MB.  Any hints?

Will Leara

2. mirror harddisks on the fly ???

3. "Drive Size To Big" When Installing RedHat 5.2

4. Kernel Weirdness

5. How to determine the script is a backgroud job or not?

6. How do I install my ZIP drive with Linux RedHat 5.2

7. CDROM (Wearnes) compatability

8. Can Redhat 5.2 be installed from a parallel port CDROM drive?

9. Install Redhat 5.2 by External Zip Drive

10. Installing RedHat 5.2 on a second unused hard drive

11. Redhat 5.2 Hard Drive Install probs.

12. Installing RedHat 5.2 onto a Jaz drive