Aureal vortex 2 (8830) driver for Linux

Post by Vincent DECOU » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a Dell Dimension PC with a  Turtle Beach Montego II A3D PCI sound
card running Linux.
I downloaded the drivers from http://linux.aureal.com/ (v. 1.0.5) second
public release.
Then I uncompressed, untared, went to the directory, typed "make
install" (for a 8830 model).
And ... no sound. The makefile generates one error at the end, but just
iggnores it. So I guess
it's a non-fatal error.

Is there a way to check my installation ? my sound configuration ? I
must say I'm totally at using
sound under Linux.

Thanks if you can help at all.

Vincent DECOUX

Aureal vortex 2 (8830) driver for Linux

Post by Rolf Magnu » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:Vincent DECOUX wrote...
>Then I uncompressed, untared, went to the directory, typed "make
>install" (for a 8830 model).
>And ... no sound. The makefile generates one error at the end, but just
>iggnores it. So I guess
>it's a non-fatal error.

What error message was it? Were you running it as root?

Quote:>Is there a way to check my installation ? my sound configuration ? I
>must say I'm totally at using sound under Linux.

What kernel do you have? It should be a 2.2.x kernel (2.3.x didn't work for
me) and it should have oss sound support compiled as a module. If you have
the original kernel of your distribution, this should be the case.
First, become root.
"lsmod" should tell you if the sound modules were loaded (look for au8830
and soundlow, or was it soundcore?). If it isn't, do a "depmod -vav". This
will give you a list of existing modules for your kernel version. The au8830
module (and also the other sound module) should be there. If it is, try
you see no error message and still don't have sound, perhaps "dmesg" will
tell you something.

Rolf Magnus

Aureal vortex 2 (8830) driver for Linux

Post by Steve Snyde » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

It's even easier than that.  Just say Yes to kernel sound support.
Enabling OSS sound modules isn't necessary.

>you'll have to 1st: install the sound support and oss support as
>module or builtin, load them up before you load the 8830 module, so
>the sound is supported, but i dont know if thats your problem, why
>dont you explain deeper? :)

>>Hello,

>>I have a Dell Dimension PC with a  Turtle Beach Montego II A3D PCI sound
>>card running Linux.
>>I downloaded the drivers from http://linux.aureal.com/ (v. 1.0.5) second
>>public release.
>>Then I uncompressed, untared, went to the directory, typed "make
>>install" (for a 8830 model).
>>And ... no sound. The makefile generates one error at the end, but just
>>iggnores it. So I guess
>>it's a non-fatal error.

>>Is there a way to check my installation ? my sound configuration ? I
>>must say I'm totally at using
>>sound under Linux.

>>Thanks if you can help at all.

>>Vincent DECOUX

***** Steve Snyder *****

1. Aureal 8830 Driver... linux.aureal.com=BAD?

Hello, I am trying to get drivers for an aureal sq2500 card, using 8830
chipset, and the only place i Know of that has (had?) it was
linux.aureal.com, but I can't get there?  Does anyone know if this site is
still up? or perhaps an alternative location to d/l the driver?

Thanks,
Todd

2. Parallel Port Q's

3. Aureal Vortex 2 (8830) on Red Hat 7.1 (Pentium)

4. Modem not working after upgrade to RH6

5. Aureal vortex2 (8830) sound driver for Linux installation

6. DNS, NIS, etc.

7. Aureal 8830 drivers for RH 7.0???

8. lpadmin -T -L and terminfo

9. What's the newest Vortex 2 (8830) Sound Card Driver?

10. Work started on Linux drivers for Aureal Vortex sound card

11. vortex driver from linux.aureal.com

12. aureal vortex driver

13. Aureal Vortex driver?