ATAPI IDE CD-RW Mitsumi Lockup

Post by Todd Frase » Wed, 19 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Even after I tried following the CD-Writter How to file and compile my
kernel for scsi support I find that my computer tends to Lock up.  I am
not sure if it is XCDROAST or my system.  But the computer will Lock up
if I try to make an Image, burn an Image,  And just about anything else
I try to do.  I even got a simular lockup when I tried copying data from
the CD to the harddrive useing Midnight Commander.  I have a feeling
that something doesn't like my settings.
I was using 2.1.10X of the kernel (I know the unstable version) .  Has
anyone had simular problems or should I focas on the more stable
kernels.

--
  ________
    /odd

Post by Ignac » Wed, 19 Aug 1998 04:00:00

 >Even after I tried following the CD-Writter How to file and compile
my
 >kernel for scsi support I find that my computer tends to Lock up.  I
am
 >not sure if it is XCDROAST or my system.  But the computer will Lock
up
 >if I try to make an Image, burn an Image,  And just about anything
else
 >I try to do.  I even got a simular lockup when I tried copying data
from
 >the CD to the harddrive useing Midnight Commander.  I have a feeling
 >that something doesn't like my settings.
 >I was using 2.1.10X of the kernel (I know the unstable version) .
Has
 >anyone had simular problems or should I focas on the more stable
 >kernels.

This is why I don't recommend IDE CD-RW drives. Do yourself a favor;
go SCSI.

Post by smit » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> >Even after I tried following the CD-Writter How to file and compile
>my
> >kernel for scsi support I find that my computer tends to Lock up.  I
>am
> >not sure if it is XCDROAST or my system.  But the computer will Lock
>up
> >if I try to make an Image, burn an Image,  And just about anything
>else
> >I try to do.  I even got a simular lockup when I tried copying data
>from
> >the CD to the harddrive useing Midnight Commander.  I have a feeling
> >that something doesn't like my settings.
> >I was using 2.1.10X of the kernel (I know the unstable version) .
>Has
> >anyone had simular problems or should I focas on the more stable
> >kernels.

>This is why I don't recommend IDE CD-RW drives. Do yourself a favor;
>go SCSI.

Funny you should say that! When I was hunting around for a CD-R all I was
reading was people having problems with their SCSI CD-R's! I ended up
getting a scummy Wearnes IDE CD-R that crapped it's pants in a week! (only
burned 3 cd's). After that I got a Sony 928E-B IDE CD-R. Works like a charm
every time! I have had it over a year without 1 stuff-up. Writes Packet CD's
as well and who really cares when ya throw em away! They only cost a couple
of bucks now for blanks. I used to get about 2 stuffed floppies from a pack
of ten! A pack of floppies still costs between $5-$10. Anyway, if that
Mitsumi burns alright under 95, you may have to stick with that because like
Wearnes, they are crap.

1. broken 2.2 IDE CD-RW (was Re: plain 2.2.X: no ide CD-RW?)

-

2. problem with rh6

3. how to burn CD with IDE/ATAPI CD-RW ?

4. Linux wannabie having network problems

5. ide-scsi cd-rw woes (creative cd-rw blaster)

6. Linux with null modem cable?

7. 4 ide drives & Mitsumi (IDE/ATAPI) CD-ROM via SB

8. Missing /usr/lib/shlib.etc in Solaris2.x

9. ATAPI (IDE) CD-RW and FreeBSD 4

10. Patches for ATAPI/IDE CD-RW support on 2.2.7

11. IDE CD-RW vs ATAPI Zip drive

12. Reading CD-R & CD-RW with an ATAPI HP 7200e CD-Writer on RH 6.0...

13. replacing IDE CD-ROM with IDE CD-RW - kernel panic!