Q: using modem PC card and serial port simultaneously

Q: using modem PC card and serial port simultaneously

Post by Carlos M. Puch » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

hi, i have noticed that when i have the modem pc card connected to
the laptop, the serial port in the back does not work. the idea is
use it for an external mouse when possible.

i am using linux (stock slackware 3.0) and since i am trying to
be microsoft-free, i cannot try it under winblows.

so the question is, is this at all possible that when the pc card
modem is connected (a practical peripherals 28.8 modem/fax), the
serial port be used as well? or is it the case that the modem
card "takes over" the port and there is nothing that can be done?

thanks,

-- carlos

Q: using modem PC card and serial port simultaneously

Post by Padgett 0siri » Tue, 06 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>so the question is, is this at all possible that when the pc card
>modem is connected (a practical peripherals 28.8 modem/fax), the
>serial port be used as well? or is it the case that the modem
>card "takes over" the port and there is nothing that can be done?

I set my Mhz to use COM 3 and designate IRQ 5. This leaves both COM 1
(IRQ 4) and COM 2 (IRQ 5) available.

                        A. Padgett Peterson, P.E.
                        *netic Psychophysicist
                   Totally Obsessed with TransOceanics
                      My other car is a Pontiac too
                           We also walk dogs
                       PGP 2.7 Public Key Available

Q: using modem PC card and serial port simultaneously

Post by M.Buchenried » Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>hi, i have noticed that when i have the modem pc card connected to
>the laptop, the serial port in the back does not work. the idea is
>use it for an external mouse when possible.

>i am using linux (stock slackware 3.0) and since i am trying to
>be microsoft-free, i cannot try it under winblows.

>so the question is, is this at all possible that when the pc card
>modem is connected (a practical peripherals 28.8 modem/fax), the
>serial port be used as well? or is it the case that the modem
>card "takes over" the port and there is nothing that can be done?

If that is a PS/2 style mouse, take care that the motherboard doesnt
use the same IRQ line for both the PS/2 mouse AND the PCMCIA slot.
Usually, the PS/2 mouse will use IRQ 12, which on some laptops is
used for the PCMCIA stuff as well. Thats a no-go with Linux.

Michael

* "Real computer scientists don't program in assembler. They don't write *
*  in anything less portable than a number two pencil."                  *

Post by geema » Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>hi, i have noticed that when i have the modem pc card connected to
>the laptop, the serial port in the back does not work. the idea is
>use it for an external mouse when possible.

>i am using linux (stock slackware 3.0) and since i am trying to
>be microsoft-free, i cannot try it under winblows.

>so the question is, is this at all possible that when the pc card
>modem is connected (a practical peripherals 28.8 modem/fax), the
>serial port be used as well? or is it the case that the modem
>card "takes over" the port and there is nothing that can be done?

>thanks,

>-- carlos

The problem is that whatever is "enabling" the modem card is
configuring it to use IO and IRQ settings that conflict with the
onboard serial port. what software is being used to turn on and
configure the modem?  there should be a way to tell it to
configure the modem for an otherwise unused port, such as logical
COM 4 ... that is, Base I/O address XXXX and IRQ Y.
Unfortunately I can never remember what XXXX and Y are!!  Any
BIOS book can tell you.