EIDE for disks, AHA-2920 SCSI for everything else

EIDE for disks, AHA-2920 SCSI for everything else

Post by David Schreib » Sun, 28 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi.  In the next week or two I'm going to be buying a PCI Pentium box
on which I'm going to be running Linux (along with Win95 and, perhaps
eventually, NT).  Currently, I own a Mac with a SCSI DAT drive attached,
and since I want to use that drive with the Pentium box, I was planning on
getting a SCSI-based system.  My thought was to get an AHA2940 or a
Buslogic KT-946, since a busmastering disk controller strikes me as a
very good thing.  However, the hardware HOWTO suggests that the Intel
Triton chipset's EIDE controller will also do busmastering DMA.  So now
I'm thinking of getting a Triton-based motherboard, using the built-in
EIDE controller for the disks, and getting a less-expensive, non
busmastering SCSI controller for the other, presumably slower, peripherals
(the DAT drive, a 4x CD-ROM, perhaps a ZIP drive in the future, etc.).
This will save me some money on the controller and disk (and future disks),
while it doesn't seem that it will cost me much (if anything) in the way
of performance.

Questions:
+ Am I reading the hardware HOWTO correctly:  do Intel Triton-based
  motherboards do busmastering EIDE?  If so, how does the performance
  compare to busmastering SCSI controllers?
+ The slower, non-busmastering SCSI controller I have in mind is the
  Adaptec AHA-2920.  Does anyone know how well the 2920 works with Linux,
  if indeed it works at all?  I haven't seen references to it in the SCSI
  or hardware HOWTOs, presumably because it's fairly new.
+ Any comments on this scheme of using EIDE and SCSI together for different
  peripherals with Linux?  Everything I've read suggests that it is possible
  to get them to work together, but if it's difficult and I'm really asking
  for trouble, please let me know (BTW, comments re. this setup and Win95
  or NT are also appreciated, but please send those via e-mail or followup to
  a more appropriate newsgroup).

Thanks very much in advance.

--
Dave Schreiber                "Certainly, objecting to 'political correctness'

                                - Michael C. Horsch

1. Trouble using SCSI disk with AHA-2920

Hello All:

I am having trouble using an Adaptec AHA-2920 scsi controler with Linux.
The kernel source, as well as the SCSI-HOWTO lead me to believe that this
card is supported, but so far I can not get linux to detect it. (See the
system messages at boot time at the end of this post) The card and disk
drive work fine under win95.

I'm running linux v2.0.30 with basic scsi support and the "Future Domain"
low level scsi driver compiled in. (The kernel source and SCSI-HOWTO say that
the Future Domain driver supports the AHA-2920.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. One thing I have tried is to remove
the network support as the SCSI-HOWTO mentioned that sometimes the network
drivers interfere with the scsi drivers. In my case however, the "no network
kernel" didn't see the scsi controller either.

Joseph Killoran

Here is what happens at boot time:

Console: 16 point font, 400 scans
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25, 1 virtual console (max 63)
pcibios_init : BIOS32 Service Directory structure at 0x000fd9e0
pcibios_init : BIOS32 Service Directory entry at 0xfd9f0
pcibios_init : PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfda11
Probing PCI hardware.
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 231.83 BogoMIPS
Memory: 30936k/32768k available (700k kernel code, 384k reserved, 748k data)
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux NET3.035.
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.034
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
Checking 386/387 coupling... Ok, fpu using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok.

Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.
Sound initialization started
<Yamaha OPL3 FM> at 0x388
Sound initialization complete
hda: WDC AC33100H, 3020MB w/128kB Cache, LBA, CHS=767/128/63
hdc: NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:285, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
Started kswapd v 1.4.2.2
FDC 0 is a National Semiconductor PC87306
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
eth0: 3Com 3c590 Vortex 10Mbps at 0xff80, 00:60:97:50:26:39, IRQ 10
  8K byte-wide RAM 1:1 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/10baseT interface.
eth0: Overriding PCI latency timer (CFLT) setting of 32, new value is 248.
3c59x.c:v0.46B 9/25/97 Donald Becker http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
Adding Swap: 68540k swap-space (priority -1)
lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)

2. 2.4 modules for Debian Woody

3. Support for ADAPTEC's SCSI AHA-2920 board

4. Problem: DAO mode e Lite-on cd writer (LTR-52246S)

5. AHA-2920 SCSI adaptor

6. Job distribution

7. RedHat 5.0 and AHA-2920 scsi controller

8. Red Hat 6.1 & AGP Video

9. Adaptec AHA-2920 SCSI with Linux?

10. Writing a device driver for AHA-2920 SCSI...

11. PCI/SCSI AHA-2920 problems installing SW 3.2 - HELP!

12. AHA-2920 scsi problems

13. Linux Install, PP200, SCSI adaptec AHA-2920 controler