Share USB printer over network Mac/Linux network?

Share USB printer over network Mac/Linux network?

Post by Bill Ber » Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I have a cable modem lan with an iMac (Tangerine, girlfriend's), and a PC
running Mandrake. We have an HP inkjet printer attached to the iMac via USB.

How can we share this printer?

Can I throw a USB to ethernet adapter on the printer and plug it into the hub
(No? I didn't think so. But wouldn't that be cool if you could?)?

Is there a hardware solution for this situation? Why not?

Is there a software solution that doesn't involve connecting the printer to
the Linux box (No USB, & want to maintain separation of church and state)?

Is there a free (as in beer) printer queue for Mac?

Thanks,

Post by aflinsc » Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> I have a cable modem lan with an iMac (Tangerine, girlfriend's), and a PC
> running Mandrake. We have an HP inkjet printer attached to the iMac via USB.

> How can we share this printer?

I have done the opposite - share a printer on the linux box with the
iMac, and it involves running netatalk. I would imagine that the
opposite is also possible, set up the printer as shared on the fruity
computer, then try to get atalk to see it. You will need pap & psf
from the netatalk package to get this to work. Doing what you are
trying to do is probably easier than doing what I did.

Quote:> Can I throw a USB to ethernet adapter on the printer and plug it into the hub
> (No? I didn't think so. But wouldn't that be cool if you could?)?

This would probably work, as long as there was a way to easily set the
ip address of the usb/ethernet adapter. I would imagine that it would
appear to be an ethernet connected printer afterwards.

Quote:> the Linux box (No USB, & want to maintain separation of church and state)?

Maintaining a seperation of church and state along with a seperation
of girlfriends, printers and computers is usually a good idea.....