Mitsumi FX-400 CD-ROM on 2nd IDE Adapter

Mitsumi FX-400 CD-ROM on 2nd IDE Adapter

Post by Bradley John Schaufenbuel the Gre » Mon, 04 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I have a Mitsumi FX-400 quad-speed IDE CD-ROM drive that is set on these rather
unusual settings (excuse my lack of technical knowledge but this is what I get
from reading my driver settings for DOS and OS/2, where the drive is performing
flawlessly):  Adapter 2, Port 1E8, IRQ 15, IDE01, Unit 0.  If I am not
mistaken, my drive is set as master on my second IDE controller.  Anyway, I
have recompiled my kernal (version 1.2.0), enabling ATAPI IDE support.
However, I still am unable to mount my CD-ROM drive.  It says something about a
lack of 'block support' or something like that.  Can anyone suggest how I can
get my CD-ROM to work?  Thanks.

- Brad Schaufenbuel

Post by Siegfried Recke » Tue, 05 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: I have a Mitsumi FX-400 quad-speed IDE CD-ROM drive that is set on these rather
: unusual settings (excuse my lack of technical knowledge but this is what I get
: from reading my driver settings for DOS and OS/2, where the drive is performing
: flawlessly):  Adapter 2, Port 1E8, IRQ 15, IDE01, Unit 0.  If I am not
: mistaken, my drive is set as master on my second IDE controller.  Anyway, I
: have recompiled my kernal (version 1.2.0), enabling ATAPI IDE support.
: However, I still am unable to mount my CD-ROM drive.  It says something about a
: lack of 'block support' or something like that.  Can anyone suggest how I can
: get my CD-ROM to work?  Thanks.

I've done that for Kernel 1.1.95 and I 've no problems. (Perhaps
I'havent your setting). I use the driver "/dev/hdc" as my
CD-ROM Port. You need to setup such a driver with :
"/usr/src/linux/drivers/block/MAKEDEV.ide1".

Siefried Reckert
Siegfried Reckert          # it's only one signature
Salzkotten / Germany       # but (n)one reason to
Tel. 49-5258-3566          # mention it.

Mitsumi FX-400 CD-ROM on 2nd IDE Adapter

Post by Dieter Barna » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a Mitsumi FX-400 quad-speed IDE CD-ROM drive that is set on these rather
> unusual settings (excuse my lack of technical knowledge but this is what I get
> from reading my driver settings for DOS and OS/2, where the drive is performing
> flawlessly):  Adapter 2, Port 1E8, IRQ 15, IDE01, Unit 0.  If I am not
> mistaken, my drive is set as master on my second IDE controller.  Anyway, I
> have recompiled my kernal (version 1.2.0), enabling ATAPI IDE support.
> However, I still am unable to mount my CD-ROM drive.  It says something about a
> lack of 'block support' or something like that.  Can anyone suggest how I can
> get my CD-ROM to work?  Thanks.

I had a similar problem. In my case the bug was faulty dev-numbers (Slackware
2.2.0) for /dev/hdc. The solution was however easy:

        # cd /usr/src/linux/drivers/block
        # sh MAKEDEV.ide1

and away you go.

--
Dieter.
-------

Post by Matthew Carter Paduan » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a Mitsumi FX-400 quad-speed IDE CD-ROM drive that is set on these rather
> unusual settings (excuse my lack of technical knowledge but this is what I get
> from reading my driver settings for DOS and OS/2, where the drive is performing
> flawlessly):  Adapter 2, Port 1E8, IRQ 15, IDE01, Unit 0.  If I am not
> mistaken, my drive is set as master on my second IDE controller.  Anyway, I
> have recompiled my kernal (version 1.2.0), enabling ATAPI IDE support.
> However, I still am unable to mount my CD-ROM drive.  It says something about a
> lack of 'block support' or something like that.  Can anyone suggest how I can
> get my CD-ROM to work?  Thanks.

> - Brad Schaufenbuel

   I have this same drive in the same place.  I use a 1.2.3 version kernel
 with ide-cd support.  It appears as /dev/hdc and I mount it as so:
  mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom
 where cdrom is a mount point in my root directory. You need to
check that (1) the major device number in the /dev/hdc file is 22
(that '22' *could* be different; look in
/usr/src/linux-1.xx/drivers/block/ide.c if unsure)
 and (2) that iso9660 is supported in /proc/filesystems

Matt Paduano

ignore :o0unt pie