TV tuner cards

Post by Tom Del Ross » Thu, 02 Feb 2006 11:34:58

Is there a TV tuner card with Linux support?

Preferably it should have both RF input and VGA output, so it doesn't need
a separate video card (and therefore the use of the PCI bus bandwidth to
transmit video to the VGA output).

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
underscore and remove the last word.

TV tuner cards

Post by Rod Smi » Thu, 02 Feb 2006 23:32:38

Quote:

> Is there a TV tuner card with Linux support?

Lots of them.

Quote:> Preferably it should have both RF input and VGA output, so it doesn't need
> a separate video card (and therefore the use of the PCI bus bandwidth to
> transmit video to the VGA output).

The 2.6.x Linux kernel includes TV tuner drivers in the "Device Drivers >
Multimedia Devices" area. These are drivers for *s, TV tuners, and
perhaps a few other things. As with most Linux devices, they're listed by
chipset, so you'll need to figure out which boards use which chipsets to
know which boards are supported. Alternatively, you could check any major
distribution's supported hardware list. (In theory, these lists should be
nearly identical from one distribution to another because they all use the
same kernel. In practice, minor kernel version and patch differences and
differences in how they collect and classify data means that they might
not be identical.) You can also check the MythTV (http://www.veryComputer.com/)
documentation. They've got a pretty extensive discussion of different
types of TV tuner cards, although I don't see a list of specific supported
models.

--

http://www.veryComputer.com/

TV tuner cards

Post by Tom Del Ross » Fri, 03 Feb 2006 02:21:58

Thanks much Rod.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
underscore and remove the last word.

TV tuner cards

Post by el.. » Sat, 04 Feb 2006 08:28:10

Quote:>Is there a TV tuner card with Linux support?

Certainly

http://www.spinics.net/lists/vfl/