DVD-A (DVD-Audio) disks?

Post by Kevin the Drumm » Wed, 01 Feb 2006 06:34:52

Is there an application that will read/write DVD-Audio format?
Does anyone use a DVD drive that will read/write DVD-Audio format?

Thanks...

Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

DVD-A (DVD-Audio) disks?

Post by Nicholas DePetrill » Wed, 01 Feb 2006 23:55:15

> Is there an application that will read/write DVD-Audio format?
> Does anyone use a DVD drive that will read/write DVD-Audio format?

> Thanks...

The DVD-Audio standard uses an encryption (LPCM I think) that has yet to
be hacked. Since it has not been hacked there is no free or open-source
program to decode it. You can always listen to and rip the AC3 or PCM
audio that comes on many DVD-A discs.

--
Nick DePetrillo
Network Security Engineer

DVD-A (DVD-Audio) disks?

Post by Kevin the Drumm » Thu, 02 Feb 2006 01:30:57

> The DVD-Audio standard uses an encryption (LPCM I think) that has yet to
> be hacked.

Interesting.  I didn't know that.

Quote:> Since it has not been hacked there is no free or open-source
> program to decode it.

I wonder if some company would have any incentive to create a
binary-only driver.  Hmmm.

Quote:> You can always listen to and rip the AC3 or PCM
> audio that comes on many DVD-A discs.

My not-too-old Lite-on DVD+-RW drive doesn't even recognize the disc.
Unfortunately, I don't have a DVD-A player.

Thanks for the info.

Post by Nicholas DePetrill » Thu, 02 Feb 2006 01:47:29

>> The DVD-Audio standard uses an encryption (LPCM I think) that has yet to
>> be hacked.

> Interesting.  I didn't know that.

>> Since it has not been hacked there is no free or open-source
>> program to decode it.

> I wonder if some company would have any incentive to create a
> binary-only driver.  Hmmm.

>> You can always listen to and rip the AC3 or PCM
>> audio that comes on many DVD-A discs.

> My not-too-old Lite-on DVD+-RW drive doesn't even recognize the disc.
> Unfortunately, I don't have a DVD-A player.

> Thanks for the info.

No problem,

As a side not:
I was surprised the other day to hear of a Windows program that offers to
play/rip DVD-A, or maybe it just ripped the AC3/PCM tracks, I'm not sure.
However I still have not heard of even a commercial Windows DVD-A
software decoding program. Then again I haven't been with the Windows
software scene for years so I am a little out of touch on that front.

--

Post by iforon » Thu, 02 Feb 2006 07:32:02

> >> The DVD-Audio standard uses an encryption (LPCM I think) that has yet to
> >> be hacked.

> > Interesting.  I didn't know that.

> >> Since it has not been hacked there is no free or open-source
> >> program to decode it.

> > I wonder if some company would have any incentive to create a
> > binary-only driver.  Hmmm.

> >> You can always listen to and rip the AC3 or PCM
> >> audio that comes on many DVD-A discs.

> > My not-too-old Lite-on DVD+-RW drive doesn't even recognize the disc.
> > Unfortunately, I don't have a DVD-A player.

> > Thanks for the info.

> No problem,

> As a side not:
> I was surprised the other day to hear of a Windows program that offers to
> play/rip DVD-A, or maybe it just ripped the AC3/PCM tracks, I'm not sure.
> However I still have not heard of even a commercial Windows DVD-A
> software decoding program. Then again I haven't been with the Windows
> software scene for years so I am a little out of touch on that front.

FWIW;
See
<http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=134154>
<http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=149312>
for info concrning Win apps for DVD-A and some tech aspects.

1. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

I've googled until I'm blue (would that be bluegled?) and I can't
find a DVD burner that has all of what I want.  These seem to be
what people like for Linux:

Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (OBSOLETE)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/ricoh-mp5125a.htm

NEC ND1100A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (replaces above Ricoh)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/nec-nd-1100a.htm

HP DVD300i (DVD+RW/+R, CD-R/-RW)
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_...
(watch the line wrap)

Pioneer DVR-A05 CD-R/RW, CD-RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?...

All of the above units are EIDE.  Is there a SCSI DVD burner that
works with Linux?  My reason for wanting this is the wonderful
burning throughput I get with my SCSI CD burner.  I *NEVER* have
buffer underruns no matter how much else my system is doing.
I can even backup to my SCSI tape at the same time without
problems.  I'm nervous that an IDE burner will force me into
buffer underrun land.

Thanks....

2. mdrecoveryd process?? What is it?

3. Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

4. POSITION OFFERED

5. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

6. Semaphores

7. hitachi dvd camcorder and panasonic mini dvd-ram disk

8. GNOME toolbar missing

9. DVD-Audio

10. DVD RAMs or DVD RW are there any?

11. LG 8160b dvd-rom will not read dvd

12. DVD/cd-rw fails to play DVD movies

13. Cdrecord-ProDVD now supports DVD+RW & DVD+R