Diamond Viper V330 AGP problems

Post by Sheldon Daigl » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to get my X environment going and am having little success.
I've read through lots of docs and FAQs, and followed some threads in
this newsgroup claiming the SVGA server works fine with this card,
however I can't get it to work. XMetro gets me into X, but it's VGA mode
is the best I can do and it very ugly.

I want to get XFree86 to work, so I upgraded to the latest 3.3.2
version. When completing Xconfigurator, I execute "startx" and the
screen goes black. I have to reboot to get the system back.

Any ideas?

The system is a Pentium II 300 MHz, Diamond Viper V300 AGP video card,
NEC Multisync 21'' monitor.

Thanks,
Sheldon Daigle

Diamond Viper V330 AGP problems

Post by John v/d Ka » Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 04 Jun 1998 10:58:02 -0400, Sheldon Daigle

>I am trying to get my X environment going and am having little success.
>I've read through lots of docs and FAQs, and followed some threads in
>this newsgroup claiming the SVGA server works fine with this card,
>however I can't get it to work. XMetro gets me into X, but it's VGA mode
>is the best I can do and it very ugly.

>I want to get XFree86 to work, so I upgraded to the latest 3.3.2
>version. When completing Xconfigurator, I execute "startx" and the
>screen goes black. I have to reboot to get the system back.

>Any ideas?

Jep, I had this once too with the PCI version. I accidently configured
my GUS on the same IRQ as my Viper330 ... oeps ...  ;)
I don't know if the AGP has an IRQ as well, otherwise you should
search for other conflicts ?

John v/d Kamp

  homepage: http://huizen.nhkanaal.nl/~blade

ln -sf /dev/null /dev/brain

Diamond Viper V330 AGP problems

Post by Marco van der Sl » Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Look in /proc/pci. The AGP Viper gets the same IRQ assigned by the
BIOS as any PCI devices, which is the cause for the lock-up.
I haven't found a solution yet.

Marco vn der Slot

>On Thu, 04 Jun 1998 10:58:02 -0400, Sheldon Daigle

>>I am trying to get my X environment going and am having little success.
>>I've read through lots of docs and FAQs, and followed some threads in
>>this newsgroup claiming the SVGA server works fine with this card,
>>however I can't get it to work. XMetro gets me into X, but it's VGA mode
>>is the best I can do and it very ugly.

>>I want to get XFree86 to work, so I upgraded to the latest 3.3.2
>>version. When completing Xconfigurator, I execute "startx" and the
>>screen goes black. I have to reboot to get the system back.

>>Any ideas?

>Jep, I had this once too with the PCI version. I accidently configured
>my GUS on the same IRQ as my Viper330 ... oeps ...  ;)
>I don't know if the AGP has an IRQ as well, otherwise you should
>search for other conflicts ?

>John v/d Kamp

>  homepage: http://huizen.nhkanaal.nl/~blade

>ln -sf /dev/null /dev/brain

Diamond Viper V330 AGP problems

Post by DJ Irvi » Sun, 14 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Sheldon, I'm running a Viper V330 under RH 5.1 with the XFree86 3.3.2 SVGA
server just fine, but I'm curious what were your answers to the questions in
Xconfigurator? I picked unlisted card, don't probe, and then picked a
resolution like 8bit 800x600 the first time, then worked my way up to 24bit
1024x768

Maybe post the answers you gave in Xconfigurator, and we'll see what
happens, or email me and I'll send you my XF86Config file

DJ Irvin